K-horns with built-in False Walls?

Ki Choi

Hello HDBRbuilder,

Thanks as always for the history lessons! I really enjoy your personal input into the producion process. Quick question- in the early factories, did a worker really 'build' 3-5 LaScalas in a day? Perhaps the factory used to be much smaller, but I can't imagine a single guy going through all the manufacturing steps as a lone carpenter/assembler. Or was it really a production line of specialized laborers who built an 'average' of 3-5 per day as a shop? Just trying to visualize the process.

Michael

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI HDBR,

It sounds like you worked in the 'factory' for a while. I have just taken delivery of my new AK4 Khorns and I had a look behind the rear of the tailboard through the mesh, with the help of a torch, just to see what I could see of the internal cabinet work, without opening or touching anything. I was amazed to see a number of screws that missed some of the flat panels. The screws that were drilled in from the exterior missed the internal panel and lifted some of the wood. I know it can be hard lining up panels but should this sort of thing happen today? Klipsch said it should not cause any deterioration of the bottom end. What are your thoughts?

Yeah it would. I just read in that Shorthorn thread a comment about some lack of QC at times. A few years ago my first Klipsch speakers, a pair of KG5.5's started buzzing from the back. I rang Klipsch and they told me to take the drivers out and look inside the cabinet. I did and found that the back cabinets weren't glued in like they should be.

A hot glue gun fixed that and no trouble after for a couple of years when I traded them on KLF10's.

Maybe you could access the cabinet via the side panel and rectify the problem if it bothers you? I know how you feel though and I know how much you would have paid.8.gif

Ok, in the "better REALLY late than never category," here are a couple shots of my false wall for my Khorn. As I stated earlier, I had to compromise on the size since it sticks out into the hallway. I cut it to 40" tall dimension and 36" extension from the wall. I would have preferred to go with 42" which is the standard false corner dimension, but again, I was hampered by the hall.

This plywood is then attached to the wall using 3 angle irons with drywall anchors and is pretty snug. Then I pushed the speaker into this "half false" corner. It sounds good, and while I know this is not optimum, it suits me well and keeps the WAF high, as I painted the plywood (painter's grade) with the same color as the wall. Maybe someday I'll get to build false corners, but for now, I'm happy and have a good 85-90% solution.

Hope this helps folks understand a bit.

post-4465-13819253498644_thumb.jpg

Consistent,

I had the same poor construction quality on my brand new "91 KCBR models.

I looked into the back of the speaker and noticed that some of the panels were split due to the screws missing their spot. A lot of glue smears and drips and so forth. It was a bit disappointing.

I'm sure that they would have been better if HBR had put them together!