Denon 2900 Owners - How is it with Standard CD's

Frzninvt

I am considering purchasing a Denon 2900 Universal DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A Player, I currently use two different units for DVD (Nakamichi DVD-10) and CD (DBX DX5) since I felt that most of the DVD players that I heard did not do a good job at CD sound reproduction. Will I be happy with the Denon 2900 as a single stand alone unit for both DVD and standard CD playback or should I use it primarily for DVD's and keep my DBX DX5 for CD playback. Thoughts?

It sounds really good with normal CDs. I also like the option of SACD and DVD-A in the same unit. I've heard people say that having the video ability in the same unit can take away from the sound quality - if that's true, the difference is beyone my hearing ability.

Some DVD players have the ability to turn the video processors off while audio only is playing. My "golden ear" cannot hear the difference.

The 2900 has a very good reputation. It has been out long enough to get a significant discount.

An alternative to look at is the Pioneer DV-59AVi.

Bill

It sounds excellent with regular CDs. So much so that I have moved my dedicated CD player upstairs to my other system. No need to use a dedicated CD player anymore.

-----------------

Carl.

Samsung TXN3245FP, Harmon Kardon AVR 7200, Denon DVD-2900, RB75(ordered), RC7, RF3II, RC3II, SVS PB2-ISD, SVS 20-39PCi

Yamaha RX-V1300, Onkyo SKS-HT500, Axiom QS-8, HSU VTF-2

its been awhile since i read my manuals, but unless i am mistaken the 2900 has different optical readersm for dvd, and cd, i have run every format through my denon, and all sound exceptional, so much so that my son now runs my old gear, the denon is a really great piece12.gif

Thanks Guys this is precisely what I was wanting to hear! I can get it at an authorized brick & mortar store for $700 brand spanking new. Denon 2900 here I come! These guys must love me I've dropped $2900 there in the past few months and I am coming back for more. Ever notice that your system is in a constant state of flux, there is always room for improvements and tweeking it just never ends. Next up, Pro La Scala Top Section for on top of the RPTV.