Looking to buy Klipschorns or trade with my Lascala's

tcb

Can't help you with the trade or purchase but I do have a question.

Have you demo'd Khorns? Sounds like you already have good speakers, are you sure you want to trade up?

I had to get rid of my Forte's last month for RF5's due to size. I really really miss those Forte's. The RF5's just do not have the same umph.

I recently traded up from my Belles that I bought new in '76. It was a hard decision and for a while I thought I made a big mistake because to me the Belles sounded better. That is until I got the bass bin sealed, nailed plywood to the floor and other little things one has to do to make the Khorns sound proper. It was a lot of work but was fun too. If someone wants to upgrade and think it's just a matter of shoving the Khorns into a corner than they had better think twice about doing it. If on the other hand you have the patience to do all that's needed it's well worth it. At least that was my experience. Purhaps others had a easier time. Of course if someones 1st speakers are Khorns they might not now how the Khorns should sound. But if your upgrading from Belles or LaScalas be prepared to do some work. Excuse my ranting on.

hoggy

TCB,

It's a long shot, but you might run across someone who is moving into a space that won't accomodate the Khorns. It shouldn't be all that long of a wait to find some Khorns in the US within a reasonable driving distance. There is someone posting recently on the forum looking for a pair of mint Scalas.

----------------

On 3/24/2004 7:18:50 AM BigBusa wrote:

You want one of us to sell you a pair of khorns for $1500??? That's almost as crazy as me asking $5000 for mine.

Put down the pipe.
6.gif

----------------

Hey, that'd be a quick $300 profit for you, BB! Share the love!

How right you are, hoggy! Even Paul W. Klipsch, himself, opted for "false corners" for his pair of Klipschorns (with a Klipsch Belle center). Well built false corners (as outlined in "Dope from Hope")can be built more solidly than most "house corners" and provide superior placement dynamics.

The difference between properly set-up Khorns and fini's "corner-less family jewels" are HUGE!!! -HornEd

PS: I suspect "the fini" has a plan... let his wife enjoy Khorning with out corners... and once her ears are horn broken, he corners the Khorns "fini style" and the wife is even more enchanted with his cleverness!

Ah yes, the fickle finger of opportunity...

Khorn purchases of the last few years...

$2,700. A pair of mint Klipschorns (includes a matching Klipsch Belle).

$2,000. A pair of fair Klipschorns (includes a matching Klipsch Belle).

$1,750. A pair of good Klipschorns (this deal took the NoBelle Prize).

Maybe not the best deals in the world... but the key to unlocking Khorn sound in your room is not to knock opportunity... but to be prepared when opportunity knocks! -HornEd

I went out and found mine the old fashion way. I did get them for $1200 but that's because I got lucky locally. The seller saw my "wanted old stereo gear" ad and called me. He bought them new in '79 when he was single. He got married a few years later and they sat quiet in the diningroom of his new home for nealy 20 years. His wife was using them as corner shelves.

You can't try to buy klipsch cheap or sell klipsch high to klipsch fanatics. It just ain't gonna happen. You have to pay what their worth or get lucky locally like many have.