Warranty dispute options?

jdm56

Has anyone ever had to wrangle with a manufacturer/dealer about warranty?

I've owned my Pioneer Elite VSX-55TXi and DV-47Ai about seven months. Of this seven months the reciver has been either malfunctioning or in the shop for about three and a half months. First problem was a noisy power transformer, which has been replaced. Currently, it AND my Elite DV-47Ai universal disc player are in the shop (the disc player for two months) because the tech cannot tell which is faulty, the receiver or the player. (DVD-A discs will not play properly thought the "i-link".)

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

Jd,

What is the retailer's policy? I'd start there, they have more sway over the manufacturers than one individual. Many have a 100% trade up feature, if your's does, use it! That amp has a problem and once a "tech" that doesn't know what's wrong (?) gets his iron in there it'll never be right in your mind.

When I bought my Yamaha RX-V1 one of the channels was in-op. I brought it back to Tweeter. Within a week it was repaired with a new amp board and Yamaha gave me a five year warrantee on my unit instead of the original one year.

Needless to say I was pleased with the service.

In your shoes, with your amp, I would have been arrested!6.gif

Rick

Some states also have a "lemon law" that forces a manufacturer to exchange a product that has been serviced X number of times within a specified time period after the initial purchase. If all else fails, maybe that will help.

David

----------------

On 3/23/2004 9:46:12 PM James D McCall wrote:

My Elite DV-47Ai universal disc player are in the shop (the disc player for two months) because the tech cannot tell which is faulty . . . (DVD-A discs will not play properly through the i-Link.)

Any words of wisdom will be appreciated.

----------------

What is the problem with DVD-A playback (please describe it)?

I (thought I) had a problem with mine, but it turned out to be a setup

issue in the 47ai. In my case the DVD-A would only play in two channel,

and the audio was distorted during some portions. After I corrected the

multichannel playback setting in the 47ai everything was fine.

Dave

Dave,

The problem is when playing DVD-A through the i-link, the audio mutes for about 1.5s out of every 4.5s, just like clockwork. It plays fine through the analog multi-channel outs, though. And everything else (SACD, CD, DD) do fine through the i-link.

The "authorized Pioneer service center" has had the player since January 24, and the receiver for about half as long. They can't determine which component is at fault.

The repair facility was supposed to call me today, but they didn't get around to it.7.gif

James,

These days you really have to get on people's butts to get what you want. You really need to speak up and tell them how unsatisfied you are with the fact that your problem is not being solved. They have had MORE than enough time to figure it out. You need to get a hold of the manufacturer and the dealer and get new units out to you. After about 4 weeks of no real movement on my problem AVR 525, I started shouting (not literally) and getting on people's butts. I think H/K got tired of hearing from me and sent me not only a new receiver, but an upgrade. Light a fire under someone's ***.

!!!You paid for your equipment and now are not receiving anything for it when the gear is constantly in the shop!!!

Thanks for the help, guys.

I talked to the tech today. Still no word from his Pioneer contact. I also left a message at my dealer. I told them I wanted either a new receiver and player, my money back, or my units repaired pronto. So it's in their court. We'll see...

Call the dealer first thing tomorrow morning, right when they open. Do not let them stop you from getting your due service. You have been displaced for well over a month now (close to 2?) and that is totally not acceptable. Ask the tech for the Pioneer contact, you should be given that. If not, call Pioneer's support line. Rattle a few people. It is not fair and makes me so angry argh!!!

regardless, I would get a loaner from the dealer to have because it will likely be more than 2 weeks. Get the same unit or a similar qauality unit (floor model). THis is the least they should do if they want you to continue buying there. It will also give you some leverage if/when the 2 weeks becomes 4.