Rant about EBAY

mandi

I love the auctions that state they reserve the right to end the auction if they want but do not bid if you are not completely interested.

I like ebay and I have bought and sold, I hate when the item I am bidding on and winning disappears the day it is supposed to close, seller got a good local offer and just took it off. But I have also won and then found something better the same day, (only done this once) but then did not buy the item that I had one. Hey, have you never put something in your buggy and on the way to the checkout decided against it and put it back or even left it at the register for the store help to relocate.

Positive and negative feedbacks should be reserved for getting stiffed on merch or getting bad merch.

If either party opts out, GET OVER IT. (I hate when it happens, but it happens)

The two times I have used ebay I have had success, but the more people that have negative transactions that I hear about on the forum or in the news really makes me stay away from the place.

I think it's a great idea, I'm just a bit paranoid about getting stiffed.

"Always" check a sellers feedback before buying or bidding. It amazes me at the people that will buy from someone that has received 3-6 negatives in the last month or 2. We sell more than we buy, but I've always received relatively good service from all the the sellers we've bought from. Some may not ship as timely as others but most do a good job. Also if it says actual shipping cost get an estimate before bidding. Too many try to make money off of their shipping. We recently bought Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuit from someone and they charged $10.00 shipping when it only cost $5.50 to ship, in a free Priority Box. I'm wasn't upset because it was here in about 2 or 3 days and that's great. If you have an Epson printer there's plenty of people selling cartridges for almost nothing, we buy almost all of our ink off of eBay. If you need a the name of a good ink seller PM me. I've also found you can save a ton on Pet Flea and Tick treatments on eBay.

Grateful"

Well said TK2. I have been asked to end an auction early and have declined. I have had an item on my watch list disappear overnight and been upset about it. I have had a couple non paying bidders, but for the most part, eBay has been a good experience for me. I've gotten some really good deals and I've sold a few things for well more than I ever expected. Ususlly, the market works well. With over 300 transactions I have left two negative feedbacks and I've not received any myself. Research is your best friend if the value is high. Always read between the lines and and never get too anxious. Believe me, there will always be another item.

An eBay purchase is a binding agreement between buyer and seller. (Read their terms.) You not only wasted the seller's time, but all the other bidder's, especially the second highest bidder. You defaulted on an agreement. Defaulting is not "opting out."

How would you feel if you won something and the seller said, "I decided to keep it." Or, "I got a better offer. Get over it."

You have a bad attitude.

----------------

On 3/25/2004 5:58:57 PM mandi wrote:

Hey, have you never put something in your buggy and on the way to the checkout decided against it and put it back or even left it at the register for the store help to relocate.

Positive and negative feedbacks should be reserved for getting stiffed on merch or getting bad merch.

If either party opts out, GET OVER IT. (I hate when it happens, but it happens)

----------------

I sold an entertainment center on ebay. The person jerked me around for nearly a month. They finally paid half and we agree to accept the other half at pick up. Well they backed out and asked for a refund. A refund was provided to the buyer only after subracting the paypal fees, listing fees and selling fees.

Those fees added up to over $20. If the buyer never gave me any money I would have had to suck up the listing and selling fees, not to mention the time I spent on email.

To get over it is simply like saying take a $20 bill and shred it.

The biggest sole problem I have with ebay is the large number of people that think time and effort on behalf of seellers and buyers comes at no cost.

(Knock on wood) I have NEVER had an issue either buying or selling on Ebay - my feedback rating is +25 - I've probably had 50-60 transactions total, so I'm not a 'mega-ebayer' but I'm not a newbie either.

I just bought a McIntosh MAC4100 receiver on Ebay - it arrived Monday in about as perfect a condition as a 20 year old+ item can be. I'm overjoyed with it, though I was a bit nervous as it was my largest (dollar-wise) transaction on Ebay.

I just think that a lot of problems can be avoided by picking and choosing one's auctions with care. When buying, I usually want to see at least 10 positive feedback, and then examine what items the seller had offered before. For example, If the seller's had sold mostly clothing, but the item I'm interested in is electronic, then I might shy away, since its outside the seller's area of expertise, and he/she might not be able to accurately evaluate the condition of the item. Also, I tend to avoid auctions with unclear or indistinct/distant photos, and especially if multiple photos tend to avoid showing certain angles.

Also, I pay PROMPTLY - usually about as fast as I can type in my Paypal information - the seller will usually have his money in hand within 5 minutes if I buy. That greatly eases the seller's concerns about me, and I think makes the transaction go smoothly.

Well, this has worked for me. But the EPA would say, 'your mileage may vary'

2.gif

Hmmm, I fail to see how my comments indicate that I have a "bad attitude". But your opinions are yours, I will not let that upset me just as I got over three items disappearing after bidding and being the high bidder.

My whole comment was based on the double standard that ebay allows. Yes, read their terms, it is a binding contract, so why do they let sellers "reserve the right to close the auction"?

Hmm, I guess I will have to get pissed off more often since not really doing that has "given me a bad attitude"

I've used EBAY to GREAT success over the past few years, and I got a good portion of my home theater setup on ebay.

you have to be careful, always always always look at feedback, and always consider that there is a possibility that this is NOT THE ONLY auction site, or sale location for the seller. just as you wouldn't advertise selling something in only one place in the "real" world, think that they may have this item "up for grabs" in other places as well. if they back out--it costs them money--not you as the buyer.

I understand the frustration of having an item "pulled" at the last minute, but thats how commerce works sometimes...

i bought my VCR, DVD PLAYER, PANAMAX UNIT, ENTIRE SPEAKER SET AND MOST OF MY CAR AUDIO ON EBAY. its all about buyer beware....a little research and you are good to go.

Mandi, with all due, blowing off an agreement is not only against the rules of eBay trade, it is disrespectful of the the opportunity it affords all its users. I have only had a couple of deadbeats, both of whom I negged not because I don't have thick skin, but because other sellers/buyers need to know if the seller/buyer may be a potential waste of time.* Look at how many sellers now say things like, "Don't bother bidding if you are not going to follow through." Or, "Serious bidders only." Or, "10 or less feedbacks" or "two negative feedbacks are not allowed to bid." Those statements are there because of people like you who win an item, then think it is okay to change your mind with no penalty. If you change your mind, pay, get the item and relist it (even for more money if you can). A good reputation is easier to lose than to earn.

*In both of these cases, I waited three weeks, ample time for resolution.

----------------

On 3/26/2004 8:39:32 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

Mandi, with all due, blowing off an agreement is not only against the rules of eBay trade, it is disrespectful of the the opportunity it affords all its users. I have only had a couple of deadbeats, both of whom I negged not because I don't have thick skin, but because other sellers/buyers need to know if the seller/buyer may be a potential waste of time.* Look at how many sellers now say things like, "Don't bother bidding if you are not going to follow through." Or, "Serious bidders only." Or, "10 or less feedbacks" or "two negative feedbacks are not allowed to bid." Those statements are there because of people like you who win an item, then think it is okay to change your mind with no penalty. If you change your mind, pay, get the item and relist it (even for more money if you can). A good reputation is easier to lose than to earn.

*In both of these cases, I waited three weeks, ample time for resolution.

----------------

I agree. I would be very angry, as both a buyer and a seller, at Ebayers submitting bids for items, and then reneging after the auction. That makes a bad experience for everyone. This is NOT a store, it's an auction. Sales are final in auctions. If a buyer is undecided, don't bid, plain and simple. It messes up the auction/drives up the price for the other bidders too! Even if the seller can relist at no charge, its still a lot of extra work and time for the seller - answering buyer questions can take a lot of time, and there's no guarantee that a different set of potential buyers won't be viewing the item, therefore, lots of new questions. 8.gif

It's a great way, also, for the buyer to end up with negative feedback and hurt their ability to participate in future auctions. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to leave negative feedback for a buyer who decided, for no good reason, to cancel the transaction.

Ahhhhh, but some HAVE turned EBAY into a "STORE" and the only one item that I have ever opted out of was picked up off of one of these stores that is set up on ebay. You have seen them, there is no bidding it is just a buy it now that never goes away. I clicked to purchase and yes stupidly thought of a question that I should have asked prior to hitting the purchase button. I emailed the seller asked my question and they responded negativly so I told them I did not want the item.

(in case you are wondering, it was a novelty looking bird house. I called to ask if there was a hatch so you could clean the thing out. Most birds will not use a house that already has a nest built in it. Have you ever tried to clean out a birdhouse through a 1 and a half inch hole?)

I've never tried to sell anything on ebay, what are all the costs for the seller? The eBay costs as well as the paypal costs? Lets say I had a widget I wanted to sell for $500.00 and it sold for that, when all is said and done, how much would I have in my pocket after ebay and paypal got their cuts?

I did not go to the site and look it up and it has been a while since I sold but if I remember at that price range ebay is going to charge about 2% as will paypal, so you are looking to pocket about 480. Do away with the paypal cost by accepting money order. I have purchased several hundred items off ebay and in my experience MOST charge more for shipping, but not alot and I look at it more as a shipping AND HANDLING fee, than just a shipping charge, so as long as it is not too much out of wack I do not complain. I have seen several times where folks charged 10 bucks for shipping and the stamp fee was 6.40, 3.60 for handling as long as I got it fast was okay. (I started this whole thread because I do not think it is right for sellers to be able to pull the item because they got a good offer at home, they need to tell their "friend" to get online and bid, but at the same time I tell myself to "GET OVER IT") sniff,,,,sniff,,,,and for this I am told I have a bad attitude. Oh, such a cruel world.

Mandi,

I would say 99% of the people state how much shipping and handlings is. if the s and h is too high I forego that particular auction. When you order something from amazon.com their quoted rates include some type of handling charge. Sure some over charge but if you really want the item you may accept paying a little more.

Ebay is a living for some. The stores are a great tool as is the buy it now feature. Many use paypal for convenience and provides the seller and buyer a record of payment. With a money order the time delay is sometimes up to 2 weeks. Now the ite is sitting somewhere in the way. Paypal reduces the amount of time between end of auction to item being received. It is also more convenient to the buyer since they do not have to get a money order and pay for the stamp.

Paypal is a great service and the fee is 2.9% of the transaction. When you go to a store the merchant is charge up to 8% depending on the credit card they accept, the amount of usage per month, and their over all sales. Paypal allows small merchants the abiility to broaden their customer base by accepting payment via credit card.

I think in your original statement you implied it is ok to win an auction and simply say, nah I found something better for less. Would you do that if I bought the same exact car as you but paid $2000 less? When someone places a bid to me they are willing to pay that amount of money. If there is another item for less somewhere else oh well you should have done a little better research. After all, you placed the bid in that amount not the seller.

if the seller or buyer does not complete the auction or a mutual resolution has not been reached then a NEGATIVE feedback is warranted.

----------------

On 3/27/2004 11:23:07 AM mandi wrote:

I have purchased several hundred items off ebay and in my experience MOST charge more for shipping, but not alot and I look at it more as a shipping AND HANDLING fee, than just a shipping charge, so as long as it is not too much out of wack I do not complain. I have seen several times where folks charged 10 bucks for shipping and the stamp fee was 6.40, 3.60 for handling as long as I got it fast was okay.

----------------

Mandi,

Please realize that some sellers charge a fixed amount for shipping to ANY address in the continental USA. The buyer could be just down the street, or they could be thousands of miles away. While there are a lot of Ebay sellers with obviously inflated shipping charges, most sellers probably make a dollar here and lose a dollar there, on fixed shipping charges. That's how it's been for me, anyway.