which laptop for college?

tpg

Hi-

Well... it has been a long time since I last posted here. I have been quite busy... I actually should be writing a research paper right now... but I still am lacking a source, so I am going to wait until tomorrow for that source to get back with me to finish.

So, I have been considering for quite some time what to get for college... I do enjoy the occasional game, so had originally intended to go with the gamer's desktop with nice new technologies... but now I am thinking it would make a lot more sense to get a laptop instead... and that is what everyone generally recommends anyway.

I have never considered laptops a whole lot, so I haven't looked around much... so I am going to ask all of you what you think.

My scenario: I am looking to spend no more than about $1300-$1400. I am an occasional gamer, so I would like something that could run games like CS, Fall of Max Payne, etc. really well without lag and in a decent resolution. I will probably run Mandrake Linux and Windows XP Pro on this thing (two partitions) since I have both and like certain things about both. I also need decent sound from the thing... So, given this, I must ask some questions....

I don't like buying "ready made" systems from normal manufacturers (HP, Compaq, Dell, Sony, Toshiba, etc.), but can if it is just absolutely necessary. To be honest, I have not seen one laptop by any of these companies that has just awed me. There is always some weakness to the system that turns me away from it. So, I am thinking about getting a custom laptop from Americomp Computers (surely someone has heard of them). From what I have seen and heard, they are a pretty good company, and I would expect that I would get a good product from them. I have an HP desktop and absolutely do not like the thing. It has turned me away from consumer products forever.

So, in order to provide myself the gaming power, student essintials power, and other things I may need, I have searched all over Americomp for the perfect system... Finally I settled on the following system:

ACI Gamer notebook

15" SXGA+ (1400x1050)

Intel chipset

nVidia geForce FX Go 5600 (with 128MB dedicated memory)

4x USB 2.0

Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 533MHz FSB

512MB PC2100

Seagate 40GB, 5400RPM

CD-RW/DVD combo

To me, it looks like a good setup. I would have a good card (I am an nVidia fan), processor seems fast enough... plenty of space on HDD (I never use much space), and plenty of connectors for any additions I may have. Screen will also be nice. Would like a DVD-burner, but not for $200 more... so CD-RW is fine... and I can at least still watch DVDs, so all is well.

Does anyone else have any comments on this system? Does it look like it would be good? If I consider upgrading the Hdd, would Seagate or Toshiba be better? As a note, I have Windows XP Pro, so OS is not an issue, and I can get Office XP easily for any writing needs I may have.

Thanks

How much is that going to cost you? If I were you, I might consider a pentium m processor or perhaps a centrino. Since the games you mentioned do not seem very processor heavy (well im not sure about max, but i know CS isnt) one of these chips might suit you better. They run much more efficiently and greatly extend your battery life, which I would think to be a priority in using it at college. Also, this is just me, but I'd feel like I would want a little bit more RAM. 512 is the standard right now, and soon will be on the lower end. IMO its worth some extra bucks to get 768mb or even 1gig

Since you like the games, and they require horsepower, I would put the money into a desktop unit in my dorm room and spend $100-200 bucks on a used crapo laptop to carry to the library quite a handy way to write papers, the laptop will never be fast enough for your games, besides you are buying a new system for two very different reasons, dont forget that you want to copy a ton of music while you are school

I disagree half way, Collin. Laptops are making a great comeback in the gaming world. While Pc's will always have the edge, the new mobil gaming cards that the chipmakers are putting out perform reasonably well. Though, you're probably right about the music and needeing a large hard drive, so I agree that maybe your plan would be better. Ew what kind of laptop can you get for 100-200 bucks though 14.gif .

Maybe the reason for him wanting a gaming laptop is so he can play CS in the library =P

I'm not a computer guy, but I have one son in his second year of college as an engineer major. The school recomends Dell laptops with a wireless motem(sp?) so he can link up with the school computers and his professors.

He hasn't had any problems with it, but for all I know the school gets a kick back. They said that over the years that other brands just don't hold up.

that is roughly what i was going to buy from the same company until i found one on ebay. the equivalent of the aci stealth for $1300 (the person bought it directly from clevo, the company who makes that laptop.) i priced it on there website it is a $1900 computer.

Mine is:

15" uxga (1600X1200)

intel chipset

ati mobile radeon 9600 128mb

4x usb 2.0

pentium 4 2.66 533mhz fsb (downgraded from the 800 fsb chips that come in the aci stealth)

512mb single stick pc2100

toshiba 40gb, 5400 rpm

cdrw/dvd rom combo

floppy

windows 2000 pro

The laptop kicks some serious butt. but i would go with the desktop for gaming and cheap laptop if i were you. I would not even own a laptop if it were not for me being in the navy, and going on deployments. It is a lot easier to bring the laptop out on the ship in one trip vs three or more with a desktop. i would get an external usb 2.0 dvd burner. it is about 80-90 dollars for a four speed, and 20-40 for a usb 2.0 case to put it in. i bought one for mine. it cost me $120 total.

Buy your laptop through the Dell college program. Not only will you get a great deal you can purchase any program basically for like 5-10 bucks on campus too. (I Have three relatives in college...nothing like new XP pro for 8 dollars to them.) Many other programs the same. One did his through the campus bookstore, the other two on the Dell site.

Dell, I believe, is the number one college laptop used in most business schools. (I read it somewhere...you will see a lot of it around campus.) My advice if your going this fall..order it in July this summer... It will get to you in a few weeks or days, and give you time to play and explore with it too. Anything else you need program wise buy when you arrive on campus. A internal modem/ AND a cat 5 connection to hook up to the universities modem/ cable system a must too!!

Last thought for what it is worth. A few hundred here...a few hundred there... Not a good time to buy a inferior computer or something put together that you hope may work. People buy Dells or Gateway computers because they work. They also have great support to fixing them if broken. (If it is broken above your skill to do so.) That 50 page group project is important to your grade and your carreer, let alone the others that also helped you on the group project. If your running inferior software or in compatable parts on the inside to work with theirs.... well I think you get my point. Odds are, your going to use this laptop a lot, maybe for 4 solid years and get a better one AFTER college too.

My 2 Cents

I truly would not look any further than dell. Their laptops are work horses. I have had an Inspiron 5000e for over 3 years. It has been droped in the snow, survived beer spills (important for college) original display. On that same note their extended warranties for laptops A++++.

I am not a propnent for ext warranties but laptops suffer a great deal of abuse. The plastice on these thngs can only be made so thick and strong. Plus if you get their Custom Care warranty every thing and anything is covered. Of course shy of running it over with a car or dropping it from a roof top.

Don't be swayed buy processor upgrades. What appears to be on paper a 10% performance gain really equates to milliseconds.

Ready made systems, well dell has many options and unless you buy yhe expensive components and built it yourself you will have to subject your likings to what they offer. Dell will allow some customization. You selectivity and discrimination may subject you to only disapointment. While the laptops of today far exceed those of yesteryear the premium is still to be invoked on their pricing practices.

The best recommendation just maybe find out what the school is offering, along with the wireless networks they support. Teh Centrino may be your best bet for battery life while a custom built desktop reigns the gaming ventures.

If you don't need to bring the laptop back and forth between classes and dorm, think about Inspiron 8600. Nothing beats it's cheap 9600 pro mobility+ P-M (if you accept Radeon over geforce at this moment).

If you just want Geforce........ think about Toshiba Tecra series, they claim it is business line but I don't understand why business line has P-M 5400rpm hdd and Geforce5600 and not saying it's for gaming as well 9.gif .

If you need to bring it back and forth, may be take a look into Dell Latitude M300 series.

Look out for the laptop's hdd is either 4000rpm or 5400rpm, 5400rpm boosts like roughly 20% performance for your laptop(if you just dump the hdd once you get that and upgrade to 7200rpm hdd, then ignore this)

I've Toshiba Tablet PC myself...... nothing beats you can flip your laptop and write on the screen during the class when you need to draw or write some equations 3.gif