What's your oldest CD?

Strabo

I picked up a Beethoven Violin Concerto today for $1 that has a copy write of 1981, made in Japan for EMI. I think this has to be the oldest CD in my collection.

What is your oldest CD?

Does anyone know what was the first CD created for resale, or a link to that info? That would be interesting.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The copyright just refers to the date of the recording. CD players didn't come out until 1983. (1982 for Japan and parts of Europe.)

There were 10 CDs in the first wave of releases, if I remember correctly, and I may not. They were available only at high-end audio dealers who carried the first CD player, a Sony, which retailed for $1500? $2500? Whatever price it was, it was too high.

I bought a CD player in 1984, when prices had dropped considerably. By then there was already a record store that catered to CD buyers, just 70 miles away. They'd get every title that came out.

----------------

On 3/26/2004 8:41:30 PM paulparrot wrote:

The copyright just refers to the date of the recording. CD players didn't come out until 1983. (1982 for Japan and parts of Europe.)

----------------

That makes sense.

And raises the question of when they started puting a new copy write on each version of a release.

My earliest is Avalon by Roxy Music (ca. 1982) which I bought at the same time as I purchased my first CD player which was a Sony CDP-1 ( Still have the little beggar and use it for my porch system during the few days per year/falling on a weekend here in Sunny Alberta suitable for outdoor listening).

This province is known as Sunny Alberta because we can rightly lay claim in the southern portion to more hours of sunlight annually than most places in the world. That said a sunny -30 noonhour in mid-January will still freeze the balls off of a brass monkey espescially if there is a breeze. 9.gif

Thanks for the wakeup - I'm going to give Avalon a spin tonight.

The first CD I ever bought was the Rolling Stones "Sticky Fingers" I don't remember what year it was and the only date on the CD is the original copyright year, 1971. It was sometime in the early eighties that I bought it. It has been played so few times it's almost a virgin. No wait it is a Virgin label.2.gif

Rick

Edit: Lynn LMAO!!!!!!!!9.gif

Graceland by Paul Simon...used it to show people that vinyl rules and CD's are for fools...(just kidding, please no flames)...CDs have come a long ways, as have CD players...In 1982, CDs were, if I remember correctly, about $40 a pop, players were about $1000 a pop and didn't sound all that great,IMO. Mark

$40 CD's??? The first ones I bought were in '84, the same day I bought my first player. (A $450 Sony, w/o remote, that today could be eclipsed in performance and features by a sub $100 machine.) I bought ten discs, and remember paying $22.99 for most titles. Among which was, um, let's see: "Hotel California" by the Eagles, and "Romeo & Juliet", "The Nutcracker" and "1812 Overture", all on Telarc. Beyond that, memory gets a bit fuzzy. I'd have to look through my collection to make sure, but I think Billy Joels "52nd Street", "Born In The USA", by Springsteen, and Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" may have been in that first batch, too.

In early 1984 I bought a Hitachi DA1000 CD player from Tech HiFi in Fairfield, CT. This was one of those first generation players that loaded the disc vertially, sort of like a cassette cartridge in a boom box. I bought a Denon demo CD with recordings of jet airliners, synthesized strings (ranging up to the length of the Golden Gate Bridge), babbling brooks and similar stuff. I still have it around here somewhere, don't know the exact name. I think it was stamped in 1983.

Player lasted about 6 hours before it broke. Took it back and got it exchanged for a Hitachi DA600. That was actually a pretty nice player. Friend of mine still uses it.

James beat me to it.. First USA CD release was Billy Joels "52nd Street" I have 2 copies...one still in the plastic too..

Funny thing about a LOT of these first few releases was they were recordings off of the records. (Not of the tapes themselves..LOL.) You even heard the needle drop in some cases..LOL. By this, I also mean if it had a pop on the LP it also popped on the CD. Something quite funny to "re-hear" today on a CD. Most unfortunantly, when they first started tweeking with them, really sounded harsh and terrible too!!

----------------

On 3/26/2004 11:14:16 PM Ray Garrison wrote:

I bought a Denon demo CD with recordings of jet airliners, synthesized strings (ranging up to the length of the Golden Gate Bridge), babbling brooks and similar stuff. I still have it around here somewhere, don't know the exact name. I think it was stamped in 1983.

----------------

Interesting, I picked up a couple of old Denon CD's at the sale yesterday but didn't buy them since the music didn't interest me that much. Maybe I should have brought them home.