What's your oldest CD?

Strabo

The oldest I have is U2-Boy, a german release from 1983. Pretty good sounding disk and has a cardboard flap cover.

First one I bought was Yes "Yessongs", not sure why. I do remember before I even got to my car I dropped the bag and broke the jewel case. I've probably managed to break $70 of those damned things over the years. I'm seriously considering putting all my disks in envelopes, will save a ton of space too.

First player was some god awful Pioneer thing that I got damaged at Silo. Skipped like a 6 year old girl, but it was a CD player and in 1987 that was pretty cool for a 18 year old.

Oddest disk I have is a British import of Jimi Hendrix - War Heroes which played on my ca. 1990 Nakamichi player, but won't play on anything else. Feels a little thicker than a standard disk.

As to sound quality, I think it's more a production thing than a format thing. I have plenty of CDs and LPs that sound like hell, and plenty of both that sound great.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first cd player bought in 1983 -- a philips top loader.

bought 10 cds with it -- dave grusin's mountain dance, sadao watanabe's how's everything, toto 4, born to run, darkness on the edge of town, who's next, moondance, forget the others but i still have all of them. they still sound pretty good compared to the new music these days..

i remember in malysia where i was back then, abba's greatest hits was one of first cd releases. sounded real bright and tinny played through a leak amplifier, phillips cd player and B&W stodio monitors. owned jbl l200 speakers back then.

9.gif

My oldest CD(s) are the ones I originally purchased with my Sony CDP-101 player in late 82' or early 1983 (?) (guaranteed first purchaser from initial shipment by Sony). These were, literally, the first 14 CD's released in the US. Most all of them SUCKED. Surprisingly (but maybe not), Barbra Streisand's "Guilty" one was the best of the bunch. I know she was using 3 Klipsch LaScala's that 'rose from the floor' in her home theater system in her Malibu home so possibly that accounts for some of the better quality on this one. Billy Joel's "The Nylon Curtain" was atrocious. Even at only 85-90dB SPL it made your ears ring after 10 minutes of listening.

And AGAIN, as has been stated earlier.........the recording copyright date on the early CD's is most likely NOT the actual release date of the CD. It's the copyright date of the original recording.

And just for record (pun intended) the first CD pressed in the USA was Bruce Springsteen's "Born In The USA"

1984 Jethro Tull "Aqualung"

Darn it sounds horrible.

Even on the remaster it has a poor reproduction of Locomotive Breath.

------

A good one new right now.

Warren Zevon "The Wind"

the second tune has Bruce Springsteeen doing all of the electric guitar.

I am just guessing but it certainly sound like a raspy little Telecaster.

3 Bruce Solos in the tune are worth the CD.

Other guest artists abound in the last Warren Zevon CD.

You may not like the lyrics and vocal character of past Zevon; but this is special!