SWS Link on Ultra's now obsolete?

Infantwar

Just curious since the SWS is apparently going to disappear completely soon. The SWS linking feature was a big part of my purchase decision on the Ultra 5.1's and now even if I managed to scrounge up some SWS's I'd essentially be SOL if I needed a replacement or something.

So is that SWS link on the back of my Ultra sub pretty much useless now or could I attach a different Klipsch sub to it or...?

My hope is that Klipsch will, of course, put out a 'revised' version of the SWS or something similar to attach to this port, but we'll just have to see.

Thoughts from anyone (including, 'Haha, sucker!)' are still obviously appreciated. Thanks! 1.gif

Good! Oy. I was gettin' worried about that. I managed to find some other threads where people talk about putting different subs into this config as a partner to the Ultra 5.1 sub, but people are also talking about underpowering and overpowering things, etc. I have to admit I'm a little lost when it comes to knowing what sub would be a good partner to this one.

I'm more than willing to drop as much as $500-570ish on a pretty nice one. And yeah, I know I could buy a whole other set of 5.1's and have money to spare with that price, but I hate bottoming out subs in front of people and well, the Ultra sub has kinda spoiled me. No HT subs in my ownership to make it jealous, so I wouldn't know better. Also, I don't want to snag some sub that for whatever reason hurts my Ultra sub.

Any recommendations for a sub to go with it?

Any recommendations for good places online to look?

Is there a specific connection on a specific cord I will need?

I've been wanting to take my speakers to a friend's house and use it for their party. But I want a little more bass first. 11.gif Yeh, I'm immature, sue me.

007, a word of caution. Brandnamez doesn't seem to be staffed. I ordered a minisystem off them and recieved the worst customer service I have ever seen in my life. They don't update their page. It has been the same for a year and a half. They don't answer or return phone calls. And they did not respond to several emails and only finally responded when I told American Express to void their charges. A week later they offered to sell me the damn thing. (Yes they emailed me and said they were finally ready and willing to *gasp* sell a product.) I decided I should get it as I couldn't find another retailer who had it in stock. But surprise, that email must have been a hoax as they never replied to my other emails when they charged me $60 over the limit for overnight shipping which I both did not ask for and did not recieve. Once again they did not respond untill I threatened to revoke my payment. Alot of online store raters spell out similar stories about Brandnamez. They have good prices, but at a cost...

If you order from them I certaintly hope you have better luck.

Yeah, an SVS, while definitly choice, would A.) be a wee bit out of my price range, and B.) be a little bit much for what I'm looking for currently.

When I put together a little HT system later this year, THEN I'll start looking to SVS for their subs. I'd rather not drop upwards of $800 on a subwoofer that is 'only' going to be used with my computer and occasionally hauled to parties. Plus if I went all out right now and bought a SVS PC-Ultra (what I'm looking at for my HT setup) and was coerced into bringing it to a party with me to help with the oof of sound there, I'd sit next to it with a shotgun making sure no one bumped into it, spilled something on it or looked at it the wrong way for the remainder of the shindig. 2.gif

I'm just looking for something no more than $600 (TOPS) that will work optimally with DVD playback and games. Music sounds good already on my 5.1's and is a tertiary concern AT BEST. Concise hits and a nice low end are my main goals.

The RW-12, regardless of where I purchase it from is looking like my best bet right now. Though I'm still open to other similar subs of other brands. Oh, any thoughts on the RSW-12 as an option to compliment the Ultra Sub? *sigh* I should probably move this topic into the Powered Subwoofers section.

Infantwar, im in the same boat and i'm considering these subs

Klipsch RW-12

HSU STF-3

Infinity PS 12

SVS PCS 25-31

the SVS is prolly the best sub but its the most money. And its small enough i can still take it to parties. But if i got an SVS box sub I can forget about moving it. My first choice is still the RW-12 which i can get for 429.

Maybe it will, but its only a 10 inch sub with only a 250 watt amp. The rw-12 featuresa 12 inch driver with a 300 watt amp. Klipsch would really suck if it got owned by something with a smaller driver and less power and I doubt Klipsch sucks.

LOL about the New Orleans part, I agree.

Its a quote from another person on the forum from when he was drunk and talking about his Z680's which are notorious for having loud boomy obnoxious bass. If Klipsch was not so "nazi'ish" I would italicize it correctly, but they don't allow HTML or Bullitn Code in signatures anymore

----------------

On 4/2/2004 12:34:30 AM 007 wrote:

And its small enough i can still take it to parties. But if i got an SVS box sub I can forget about moving it.

----------------

The SVS tube subs are pretty huge as well. Even the 25-31 is 31' high. with a 16' diameter!