Circuit City buying Intertan

lynnm

This is not an April Fools post 9.gif

It was announced yesterday that Circuit City has purchased the assets of Intertan the parent company of Radio Shack in Canada. Intertan operates about 900 stores in Canada.

The two largest electronics retailers in Canada are Superstore owned by Best Buy for the last couple of years and now Circuit City/Radio Shack.

How do Best Buy and Circuit City compare in the US ? Are there any major differences between these Behemouths ?

As far as audio goes they seem to carry different lines, but all their stuff is primarily mass produced stuff i.e Onko at Cirucit City, Sony at Best buy. Both have limited but reasonably priced cd selections. Many CC stores do have seperate listening rooms but BB has the most horrid setup for trying out speakers maginable. BB's tend to be biger stores with a somewhat wider selection and sometimes very good loss leader sale prices. Of the two I'd give an edge to BB on pricing. Hope this helps.

thebes pretty much summed it up. Although both are a joke, I have purchased my current DVD player, TeeVee, and a washer and dryer at one or the other. Hey, they are close, and deliver, and sometimes the price is right. If you know what you want, and get in and get out quick, you can somewhat avoid the booming BS music that is constantly blaring from everywhere it seems.

When I decided on a TeeVee, I went to CC and looked around for maybe 10 minutes and not one salesperson approached me. I literally said out loud, "Can someone sell me this TV"? When I decided on the DVD and couldn't find it on the floor, the salesperson immediately took me to it displayed as included in a package deal in another area. Some salespeople are better than others maybe.

Depending on what you need, if the price is right, go to one of these places and get in and get out quick, it's usually a freak show.

----------------

On 4/1/2004 8:16:23 PM bclarke421 wrote:

Doesn't CC own The Brick?

If your talking about the brick as in furniture store , then no cc does not own it. The brick was started in edmonton alberta and is still owned and operated privatly by bill comrie

His son is mike comrie who played for the edmonton oilers and was traded away this spring.

lynnm:

In addition to home electronics, BB carries major appliances such as refrigerators, stoves, washers and dryers. Due to increased competition from stores such as Lowe's and Home Depot, Circuit City dumped major appliances more than a year ago in favor of carrying more home electronics. It has been my experience that BB has an absolutley awful return policy, and that Circuit City tends to have more knowlegable salespeople who will actually LEAVE YOU ALONE if told to. Hmmm I wonder if they'll change their name to: RADIO CITY? 9.gif

-Picky 2.gif

rockettes.jpg

I've found that CC and BB (hmmm sounds like a 70s R&B duo...) are not really that aggressive when it comes to major appliance pricing. CC dropped majaps because they couldn't get it right operationally. Do yourselves a favor and buy from a reputable independant who will actually value you as a customer.