HONKIN' ON BOBO

NOSValves

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that one too. It's from a band called "Not Was" I think. Nope--wish I wrote it, though. You can't copyright "I'm in jail. I like it." Their song is much better anyway. I'd like to think we influenced or inspired them, but since their song is fairly recent and we played only about a dozen shows in 1980 . . .

I always thought it was GREAT name for a punk band. But only one in three idiots even got the joke.

My wife owned a small shop in the little beach town just south of us, Seal Beach, CA. One of her regular customers was a local beach bum, a 50ish Englishman named Bill who would come in every day and enjoy a couple of cups of coffee and a smoke. Very, very mild-mannered and amiable bloke who we both hit it off with. After several weeks we were STUNNED to find out his full name was Bill Ward and he was the drummer with Black Sabbath. Never in a MILLION years would I have guessed it.

A couple of years ago he called and invited us to a Black Sabbath reunion concert here in LA--you know, front-row tickets, backstage passes and all the rest. We went. It was LOUD (the opening band called "Pantera" was by far the WORST rock band I have ever heard or seen)--I mean REALLY LOUD!

Had a blast really, seeing Bill up on the stage slugging away at that huge kit. And the beer was nice and cold back stage. All in all, an interesting night.

----------------

On 4/29/2004 5:51:29 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I always thought it was GREAT name for a punk band. But only one in three idiots even got the joke.

My wife owned a small shop in the little beach town just south of us, Seal Beach, CA. One of her regular customers was a local beach bum, a 50ish Englishman named Bill who would come in every day and enjoy a couple of cups of coffee and a smoke. Very, very mild-mannered and amiable bloke who we both hit it off with. After several weeks we were STUNNED to find out his full name was Bill Ward and he was the drummer with Black Sabbath. Never in a MILLION years would I have guessed it.

A couple of years ago he called and invited us to a Black Sabbath reunion concert here in LA--you know, front-row tickets, backstage passes and all the rest. We went. It was LOUD (the opening band called "Pantera" was by far the WORST rock band I have ever heard or seen)--I mean REALLY LOUD!

Had a blast really, seeing Bill up on the stage slugging away at that huge kit. And the beer was nice and cold back stage. All in all, an interesting night.
----------------

That's an awesome story. Was the rest of the original band there as well?

Probably the won group that really amazes me are the Rolling Stones, I mean these guys have to be in there mid sixty and they still tour. I saw then at the Astro dome in Houston in '93 and tickets cost $60. a seat, now I here they go for $300. I mean does Mick need the money,he has been putting out hits for forty years and with pretty much the same band he started with. I went to see them in '93 because everyone said they were going to stop touring and I wanted to see them before they stopped, but as far as I know they are still touring. 6.gif6.gif6.gif

Great story, you were living large that night Allan, must have been good coffee and conversation. The respect for Black Sabbath seems to grow with time, now seeing comparisons with the Beatles as to their influence. Think Ozzy will eventually be knighted?

The sonics with their new box set is getting some attention, there's an Amazon link from the image above, will have a chance to hear a friend's copy in the near future.

----------------

On 4/29/2004 10:23:36 PM Randy Taylor wrote:

Probably the won group that really amazes me are the Rolling Stones, I mean these guys have to be in there mid sixty and they still tour. I saw then at the Astro dome in Houston in '93 and tickets cost $60. a seat, now I here they go for $300. I mean does Mick need the money,he has been putting out hits for forty years and with pretty much the same band he started with. I went to see them in '93 because everyone said they were going to stop touring and I wanted to see them before they stopped, but as far as I know they are still touring.
6.gif6.gif6.gif
----------------

What I love is the line in the movie "Almost Famous" where the big-time band manager say's "do you think Mick Jagger will still be rocking on stage at 50" or something like that, Pretty Ironic !

Craig

Look at the Grateful Dead. What folks may not realize is that they toured constantly! They still do although not the same or as much without Jerry. Even still, they were into their 50s when Jerry died and now Phil is in his 60s, been through a liver transplant and still brings the house down whether it's with "Phil & Friends" or with "The Dead."

Some of the other old rockers still tour but nothing close to pace of The Dead.