Changing pre-amp tubes

Thanks.

Ryan Inman did an amzing job on this integrated and it sounds incredible.

I just picked up some RF-35's and they are sounding better every time I sit down for a listen. They are just so sensitive, that hiss is really overwhelming. The S-5000 is about 20-25 watts...I can't remember exactly. At noon, the hiss isn't present, but I find I am listenning at a louder level like 2:30 which is 0db on the dial; at this point when listening to classical the hiss is overwhelming the quiet passages.

I have some other tubes I 'd like to try, my uncle has two more RCA black plates that would give me the 5 I would need for the preamp.

I attribute the hiss to the fact that is a tube unit and just want to see if I can do anything else to help. Are those O rings for elimating microphonics?

Can anyone recommend some new or NOS 12AX7's I could try. How are the new EI or Sovtek 12AX7's.

thanks

JOn

----------------

On 4/7/2004 9:20:16 AM doctorcilantro wrote:

At noon, the hiss isn't present, but I find I am listenning at a louder level like 2:30 which is 0db on the dial; at this point when listening to classical the hiss is overwhelming the quiet passages.

----------------

Jon,

There is something wrong somewhere. You should not have so much hiss that you can't hear the music.

Well I can hear the music, it just seems the hiss is quite loud, so...in a way I guess your right actually. Assuming the amp is okay...how beneficial is a pair of NOS Mullard, Mazda, RCA 12AX7's in the phono or entire pre going to be? Compared to getting a set of EI elites. I would like to find an X7 that is most importantly quiet but sounds great.

I will try something tonight that I have been pondering to relieve the hiss.

Jon

I get a very small hiss from my pre but it does not increase with volume. I can only hear it when no music is playing and my ear is right up against the horn. If you are getting that much hiss and it increases with volume, I think there has to be more to it. I don't know enough to comment on possible correction via tube replacement though.

This hiss increases with the volume control and is independent of any hiss on recordings or created by components (TT). It's really more than I'd like but I don't know how much to expect to have since it's a vintage rebuilt integrated (my first).

Even at a reasonable listening level the hiss really "confuses" the music, especially classical.

JOn

Being vintage is no reason that it should sound bad. If it's bothering you this much already, it'll drive you crazy eventually. You should have no more hiss than what Gary says, not noticeable unless you have your ear inches away from the speaker.

----------------

On 4/7/2004 1:56:07 PM garymd wrote:

My scott 299b (NOSValves) vintage integrated has NO hiss whatsoever. Zero.

My brand new pre has the very slight buzz I was telling you about but I believe it's due to the electrical outlet I'm using.
----------------

No hiss in the phono input?

----------------

On 4/7/2004 1:57:22 PM Guy Landau wrote:

----------------

On 4/7/2004 1:56:07 PM garymd wrote:

My scott 299b (NOSValves) vintage integrated has NO hiss whatsoever. Zero.

My brand new pre has the very slight buzz I was telling you about but I believe it's due to the electrical outlet I'm using.
----------------

No hiss in the phono input?

----------------

I guess zero is a slight exaggeration with the phono section. It is very quiet though and not noticable from the listening position and certainly not with music playing. Aux IS dead quiet though.

Well I am getting this hiss on AUX and Phono. I don't use the tape input. The AM and FM sections when I switch past them going between phono and aux have a hum on them; nothing is plugged into them. I have a Ferrite core on the power cord for the heck of it.

Tonight I will re-check how loud this hiss is. This amp has had some weird experiences...it blew two tubes in the pre-amp section somehow. I had to send it back to Ryan to be checked out. As I said earlier, the amp sounds great, just too much hiss, and I am starting to think it's more than I should expect. Ryan has been amazing supporting this amp and me with my questions and I am in no way saying anything bad about him and his work here; he has truly impeccable integrity. Just trying to get to the bottom of this hiss. Hopefully I will hear from him via email tonight.

If I get some tubes that are renowned for being exceptionally quiet, I wonder what kind of change I can expect. This is all assuming the tubes are at fault so.... who knows? I am probably overreacting but last night that classical music just bugged me the way the hiss hung over it and blocked the quiet passages like a cloud.

Jon

Doc,

I think I have the same 299 unit as you and Gary. Mine is a NOSValves rebuild. The only hiss I get is when a source is playing. If I put the CD on pause, and turn up the volume all the way as far as it goes, and put my ear to the speaker, you can just barely tell the amp is on. You can hear a barely detectable hiss, no hum at all. You have to get right up to the speaker with your ear (I.E. Las and Corns). Now when a CD is playing there is hiss, period.

My 222 operates about the same. Good clean sound from the amp.

Are you saying you have hiss in the same situation as I describe above?

Ditto on the hiss with my ear up against the squakers of my Khorns. It does not increase with volume with my DIY PP amp. I note that with my Forte's the hiss is quite less, but still present. Probably to do with the sensitivity levels between the two........