OT-----Go see The Alamo

TBrennan

You gotta see this picture. It was all I'd hoped for and exceeded my expectations.

You guys know that I know the history and the history is very well done. The actors are very good in well-written roles. Thornton IS Davy Crockett.

Just go see it already.

Ever notice the inverse proportion rule about critics and people who go to movies? The more people like it, the more critics hate it... and critically acclaimed movies are often busts at the box office...

Here's what MS-NBC said about The Alamo -

"The movie is lethargic when it should be thrilling and expansive. The director and co-writer, John Lee Hancock, seems resistant to the idea of generating narrative momentum. The battle scenes, despite all their painful detail and panoramic spectacle, pale beside the brilliantly edited battles in the Lord of the Rings movies. Carter Burwells score starts off like an anemic variation on James Horners Titanic music, then gradually fades into irrelevance."

I live in east Texas, I'am sure the movie will be big here, I wonder if it is better than the one with John Wayne in 1960, just the name John Wayne makes a movie great to me, there will never be another one like him. I will try to see it over the weekend if I can get in the door( it might be sold out here) people around here are very loyal to anything about the great state of Texas.1.gif

Ray---It's intersting that several critics found the battles in The Alamo inferior to those in the LOTR pictures.

That some critic finds fantasy battle between Orks and Elves more compelling than an accurate depiction of real men and real events tells us more about those critics than it does about The Alamo movie.

You know, when ole Travis sent his pleas for help from the Alamo and signed one "God and Texas. Victory or Death" he wasn't posing or making a photo opprotunity. He was dead serious, as he proved. That was amazing behavior and some folks today, especially the often effete Journalism majors that end up reviewing movies, just won't accept that.

CAN'T accept that lest they have to examine their own shallow values and find them wanting. And who wants to do that?

Randy---The Waynamo is a fun movie with a big cult but any similarities it has to actual fact are accidental. The new picture is very true to life, about as true as one can get given the need to entertain, and much truer than I'd expected.

It's a much better movie than the Waynamo, much better.

----------------

On 4/9/2004 10:34:58 PM TBrennan wrote:

Ray---It's intersting that several critics found the battles in The Alamo inferior to those in the LOTR pictures.

That some critic finds fantasy battle between Orks and Elves more compelling than an accurate depiction of real men and real events tells us more about those critics than it does about The Alamo movie.

You know, when ole Travis sent his pleas for help from the Alamo and signed one "God and Texas. Victory or Death" he wasn't posing or making a photo opprotunity. He was dead serious, as he proved. That was amazing behavior and some folks today, especially the often effete Journalism majors that end up reviewing movies, just won't accept that.

CAN'T accept that lest they have to examine their own shallow values and find them wanting. And who wants to do that?

----------------

I'm here in Korea with our troops and guess what folks? The Army has to offer them money to extend their tours over here!

I've talked with more than a few of them who can't wait to get over to Iraq or Afghanistan to do the job they signed up for.

I just got back from seeing this movie at the late showing, it is very well done, good story and well filmed made me proud to a American and a trace planted Texas. It was produced by Ron Howard and looks like they spent a lot making it and it was filmed in Texas.I hope it does well at the Box office it deserses it. 9.gif

After watching the movie, I just had to go drive by it again, for 'ol time sakes. Still looks kind of strange in the middle of downtown San Antonio surrounded by buildings and vendors. But, for every true Texan, it is our "mecca". Looking forward to it coming out on DVD.

Wow, here are a couple of completely different takes on the movie "The Alamo":

http://www.reuters.com/printerFriendlyPopup.jhtml?type=businessNews&storyID=4805230

and

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=598&e=1&u=/nm/20040412/film_nm/leisure_boxoffice_dc

Kind of makes you wonder:

If Disney really is on its last legs as the entertainment and media empire that is is, or once was, and

If the critics really see movies the way the rest of America does.

In any case, if the movie is running into stiff competition for view dollars at the box office, it does not appear to be "holding its own".

This is very hard to understand why this movie did so bad over the weekend, it is a great movie. I thought about this movie all day today after seeing it last night, told people to go see it, maybe it will pick up some steam at the box office after people start hearing about how good it is. I can't imagine they could do any better at telling this story than they did.

Randy---Evidently the picture needed some exploding car crashes and the Alamo gates should have been huge hydraulic steel doors that closed with a hiss and a subwoofer rattling shudder.

Davy Crockett should have been armed with a pair of Glock automatic pistols instead of his Kentucky rifle. Then he could have dove through the air shooting dozens of Mexicans as he did so. And the movie needed a scene of Travis outrunning a fiery explosion.

Then the pelletheads might like it.

Cabdriver in front of Menger Hotel (across the street from The Alamo) took one look at my wife's new Mexican Cowboy Hat and said "lady, that hat just don't do you justice" in San Antonio, circa 1987.

I always wondered why those guys who died there are called the defenders of freedom. They weren't fighting for freedom from any oppressors--they were just stealing the land from the Mexicans (who stole it themselves) and paid the price. Shrine of Texas Liberty my ***!

Allan---The Spaniards and Mexicans were incapable of settling Texas in any more than very small numbers. As a result the Spaniards invited American settlement. The Mexicans also had this policy.

By 1836 a large majority of the inhabitants of Texas were Americans, called Texians at the time. They exercised their right of self-determination and revolted against a corrupt and tyranical Mexican government. The Texians fought for their freedom, that's undeniable.

You should read about ole Santa Anna, the Mexican dictator at the time. His cruel cunning, duplicity and casual brutality were breathtaking. Odonoju, the last Spanish Viceroy of Mexico, said of Santa Anna that some day he would make his country weep.

By failing to populate Texas the Mexicans lost legitimate claim to it. Had they populated it they wouldn't have lost it.

Most Mexican-Americans in Texas are descended from people who migrated from Mexico long after the Texas War of Independence.

Yeah, I'm sure most 'thieves' would defend their illgotten gain with their lives, eh? I guess it all depends on which eyeglass you chose to look through...

I always wondered why those guys who died there are called the defenders of freedom. They weren't fighting for freedom from any oppressors--they were just stealing the land from the Mexicans (who stole it themselves) and paid the price. Shrine of Texas Liberty my ***!

----------------