Painting and upsampling...

Audio Flynn

I have spent about 3 weeks with the GW Labs upsampler between the transport and the MSB Link II DAC.

http://mivasecure.abac.com/fsaudioweb/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=F&Product_Code=GWL-DAC-DSP&Category_Code=P-DAC

I had about 15 hours to listen this weekend.

I was painting the Upstairs hall, downstairs hall, and dining room this past 3 days. these rooms are open to the living room with the 2 channel rig.

I took out some of the first few poorly mastered CD box sets I ever purchased to play in the changer while the family and I worked.

Police

Steve Winwood

ELO

Rod Stewart

The GW labs upsampler works some kind of hard to describe reduction in digital "hash".

Stewart Copelands High hat and ride cymbal are so 'hot' in the mix on allot of the police songs it used to be very hard to listen to for exoented periods of time on CD.

I have listened to 15-20 DVD and CD players in the past 5 years.

The "one box" concept just seemed to be too limiting in the upgrade options.

Investment to date is about $ 650 (some used acquisitions) without cables for

transport; Onkyo Changer

Upsampler; GW Labs

DAC; MSB Link II with EMI managment mods self installed

It is a crime upsampling has not been designed into more digital front ends.

I will never go without upsampling of some sort in my 2 channel rig again.

Amen to that!

I have a Sony 300 Disc changer running optical to my Monarchy Audio DIP Classic jitter reducer and my Pioneer DVD player running coax into the DIP and then from the DIP into my MSB Link DAC III with 24bit/132khz upsampling out to my amps:) It really cleans up the CD's and takes out the grain and harshness to the music, you can actually listen for extended periods. The DIP made a huge diffrence for me one I added it to my MSB Link DAC.

----------------

On 4/11/2004 2:58:25 PM DaddyDee wrote:

GFH,

New Avatar, eh? Any story behind this?

----------------

Yes sir, I just picked me up a 2001 Crown Victoria with Police Interceptor package, it is an Ex Utah Highway patrol car and has all the sirens and lights removed. It still has the spot light and front push bumper, black 16" steel wheels with chrome center hubcap. Here is a few pics of it.

ac_1_b.JPG

fa_1.JPG

fe_1.JPG

Thanks for the compliment Dean, it is exteremly clean and the service records show it had its oil changed every month while in service, with a tune up every 3 months. It has 96k miles on it and runs and drives like a champ.1.gif

SSH,

This would make a great cruiser to go interstate driving with, If i come up on some slow traffice, Ill just flip on the christmas lights3.gif

Rick,

Break down and buy a Sony ES player and the upsampling will not be required

+++++++++++++++++

I dislike Sony!

No apologies will ever be made. Companies bent on monopoloies deserve to fail.

I have bought 4 of their components in the past 5 years.CD, DVD, and TV.

SACD can, and will, be a reason for Sony to poorly master CD audio in the peresent and the near past.

Meridian and DVD-A have little to gain by this software profit windfall.

=================

You guys high jacked my thread on a legitimate issue in digital audio. I generally offer more respect.

For all the money you SACD guys spent on software you could have acquired upsampling hardware. And at least found out where it is at.

I am not a disbeliveer in SACD or DVD-A (of which I own); but why abandon your CD collections?

If you spend a couple of grand on SACD software without upsampling your CDs; you miss the potential of digital technology.

Flynn - did you ever get around to listening to the CSN CD with your upsampler?

I must admit to becoming a believer on this topic as well. Listened to one of my all time favorites yesterday - ELP's Works Vol I. Crappy CD that to me has always been virtaully unlistenable. To make matters worse, the recording/mastering of the original was far from perfect in my opinion. The upsampler at least made this CD much more listenable and enjoyable, crappy recording aside. I'll listen to it more tonight.

----------------

On 4/11/2004 11:20:07 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

Rick,

Break down and buy a Sony ES player and the upsampling will not be required

+++++++++++++++++

I dislike Sony!

No apologies will ever be made. Companies bent on monopoloies deserve to fail.

I have bought 4 of their components in the past 5 years.CD, DVD, and TV.

SACD can, and will, be a reason for Sony to poorly master CD audio in the peresent and the near past.

Meridian and DVD-A have little to gain by this software profit windfall.

=================

You guys high jacked my thread on a legitimate issue in digital audio. I generally offer more respect.

For all the money you SACD guys spent on software you could have acquired upsampling hardware. And at least found out where it is at.

I am not a disbeliveer in SACD or DVD-A (of which I own); but why abandon your CD collections?

If you spend a couple of grand on SACD software without upsampling your CDs; you miss the potential of digital technology.
----------------