rf7 for a small room

dr-dezibel

----------------

On 4/11/2004 1:53:05 PM dr-dezibel wrote:

my room is not very big, about 18 x 11 ft. The distance to the main speakers will be about 9 ft.

What's better: buying a reference 7 system (rf7/rc//rs7 without sub) or a rf35 system (with sub rw12).

Opinions? Any other suggestions?

----------------

If your room is acoustically treated, you *could* get away with an Ref 7 system...but I'd suggest an RB-75 system with an RSW-12 subwoofer (RB-75/RC-7/RS-7. This gets you the bigger compression driver of the RF-7 but in an easier to handle package that won't put out quite so much upper bass energy. The RSW-15 sub is too much, so an RSW-12 would help to fill in the bottom end very nicely.

If your budget is a bit more flexible (read bigger!2.gif)you could go with one of the new THX Ultra 2 packages (3 KL-525THX in the front, a pair of KS-525THX in the back and a single KW-120THX with a KA-1000THX. All the mains are designed for an 80hz THX crossover meaning they will be a bit easier to tune into a smaller space. That system is going to come in just under $7000.

Kevin

The Sound Broker

I've enjoyed reading your posts Kevin, but sometimes I have trouble with some of your conclusions.

Here is my room when I had RF-7s, using 60 watts of tube push-pull. It's 12 feet from side to side, and my final setup was roughly 10 feet from horn to horn, with the chair sitting about 10 feet back. It sounded glorious.

Two things: Sensitivity and size. The RF-7 is a giant killer. The higher sensitivity and larger drivers in tandem will mean lower levels of distortion at ANY given volume level compared to anything else in the Reference line -- and it definitely makes a difference when pumping up the volume.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=31099&

post-3205-13819253890254_thumb.jpg

Dean,

Gorgeous K-Horns you have there,simply stunning.RF7's look small compared to these mighty Heritage beauties.1.gif

Hmmm maybe I should replace my four RF7's...nah to huge.And I would have to buy a dedicated Heritage pair like LaScalla and use one as front center and the second one as sourround center. Yeah you give me ideas here 6.gif

I'm enjoying his posts too deang. He reminds me of the guy that told me 30 years ago that using too little club is just as bad as using too much club.

He's talking HT (multiple speakers), rather than stereo.

Keith

Depends on the soundstage you want. Do you want more dynamics? Go for a bigger speaker. Do you want larger sense of space? i would go with some rb-25's. You ever been to a bar or club? Have you stood next to the monitors? Have you stood back a little? Have you stood way back? What sound do you like? This will determine the size. But the way those k horns look Damn i would just get them.3.gif

dr-dezibel:

Our very small room is 10.5' wide and about 19' deep at one point and first row seating is about 10' from the RF-7s & RC-7: No problems at all!! In fact, I am VERY thankful we didn't go with the RF-3s we listened to in the store! And, I DO recommend buying a sub with the RF-7s! We have an RSW-15. Best of luck!

-Picky 2.gif