Most Realistic SACD

garymd

I've ever heard. After picking up Jazz Samba on lp (Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd) last week (great recording), I had to grab the Getz/Gilberto SACD when I saw it at Tower Records today. This has to be the best recorded SACD I've ever heard. I never heard the original lp but must assume it's killer. It may not be for everyone but let me tell you, the vocals are as realistic as anything I've ever heard. Getz's sax is incredible also. Remember the big 1963 hit "The Girl From Ipanema?" That's the one. The SACD has both the lp and 45 versions.

My wife and daughter laughed their little a$$es off tonight watching me listen to this "dorky music" in the dark. If you're like me and want to hear the best your system has to offer, you have to get a copy.

Dorky?

I pity your wife and daughter. You need to ED-U-CATE them gals PRONTO!

This is only one of the great jazz LPs of all time--plus it FREED Stan Getz to do whatever he wanted to do for the rest of his life--he lived quite well off of this one for about 30 years and it CONTINUES to be a good seller.

But I never thought it was a "great" recording-- when compared with a lot of the other jazz labels (Contemporary and Blue Note especially) of the day Verve stuff seems kinda lifeless to me. This is one of the better ones but I'm sort of shocked by your glowing review of the recording. Must be one hell of a remaster . . .

Allan,

What can I say. They just don't get it. My daughter listens to country so she's hopeless but I still have hope for my wife. Occasionally she likes what I put on the TT.

It must be a great remaster because those vocals are just unreal. I've had Jazz Samba for about a week now and I've played it 7 or 8 times already. Great stuff.

----------------

On 4/13/2004 8:05:07 AM jbosborn wrote:

I agree Jazz Samba is a great SACD. Astrud Gilberto is great on SACD or LP.

For really great fidelity, though, the RED ROSE SACDs by Mark Levinson, especially the first sampler, really show what SACD can do

----------------

jbosborn,

Is Jazz Samba on SACD also or are you referring to the Getz/Gilberto album? I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it was available.

Where can you get the Mark Levinson sampler?

Thanks.

The Verve stuff of that period that I have heard do a great job on the featured performers, but the background instruments are a bit indistinct. Astrud Gilberto's voice really lent itself to an intimate, close miked sound. Same for Getz's breathy tenor.

If your ladies really enjoy calling you dorky, pick up Cal Tjader's "Soulbird: Whiffenpoof", also on Verve. It always reminds me of the pool party scenes from "The Graduate". It's that early 60's vibe vibe. George Shearing is fun, too, but a little bit cooler. More lounge, less pool party, if that makes sense.

I still find it odd that I've had a SA front end for several months, but still haven't bought a disc. I've dropped a mortage payment or so on vinyl, though.

----------------

On 4/13/2004 5:14:49 PM Colin wrote:

nothing like a beautiful voice and a small group to make a realistic sounding recording - that one is a classic!

----------------

You can get a realistic sounding *recording* of 100 people playing in a symphony. The problem some people get into is *playing it back* realistically. And that cannot be done with flea-powered amps. Flea-power amps can work for small combos though, especially when played back quietly late at night.

The hash on the power grid typically dies down later at night as most consumers go to bed.

Hence, the "real" audiophiles prefer the music later at night and also "in the dark"...

The dark thing is the one that I puzzle about as I also prefer serious listening late at night "in the dark". There technically is no reason that the sound waves would behave differently whether the lights are on or not, but there is a difference in perception, for sure!

DM2.gif

D-Man, your observations are correct but that wasn't really what I was alluding to. I just meant that a lot of listeners here, when they play late at night, have the volume greatly diminished out of respect for others in the household. But, of course, low-powered amps can function within their range regardless of the time of day.

Gary, don't feel bad buddy. Although I haven't heard that album, my wife and daughter have laughed at me several times for sitting in my dimly lit listening room with Coltrane and or Miles Davis on. After many Sunday afternoons listening to jazz while I read the Sunday paper, my wife is "getting it". During dinner last Sunday, she actually requested I put on Blue Trane. I about fell outta my chair. Jazz, like 18 year old MacAllan, is an acquired taste.