Center Channel Height?

Hard 21

If I put the RC35 below the TV it would be centererd with my ears, but there is not room there unless I set my 27 inch TV on top of it. Would that be bad?

Also, and mainly, there is room on top of the TV, but that would put it like 3 feet above the listner's ears. Is that OK?

Either on top or below....

Angle speaker towarss listener's ear level when seated...

So if below angle up...

If speaker is above..angle down

Also i would be careful placeig a TV on top of a Speaker....

Get a TV stand or something....might fall off...scratch finish on speaker etc etc ...

Good luck

In my view, there are not pat answers. You have to try both and hear what works best. Aiming is a part of the experiment and aiming toward the listener is a good start.

If you're taking steps about aiming, this pretty much eliminates placing the tube on top of the speaker. Maybe you can find a table for the tube and then fuss with the speaker underneath.

Placing the speaker above will require some ingenutity, but you can work on it.

In a perfect world, the flanking units and the center will be at the same height (at least the mid and tweeter). However, some compromise may well be tolerable.

I ran into some odd effects with my three channel system in the garage. The geometery is very symetric. The walls are sheetrock and the floor concrete.

The mid and tweeter for the center is about 1.5 feet lower than those of the flanking units. I use a passive mixer for the center channel.

On at least one recording, Fleetwood Mac, The Dance, the female vocal is remarkably centered and floats well above the center channel speaker and even above the mids and tweeters of the flanking unit. Spooky. This may be because of strong floor and ceiling reflections.

I also tried a passive surround set up per the Dynaco set- up with EV 120M horns (only midrange) and this with Symphonic Star Trek by Telarc. I.e. the surrounds were getting only L-R with no time delay. Very, very primitive. Let me add that the CD is a wonderful collection of music and effects.

The surround horns were up near the ceiling. I will say that this didn't work with any consistency. However, on the Tribble track, while standing in one location, the Tribbles seemed to be on the floor and placed at different spots, with their melodious purring.

I just report the above to say that in my experience the vertical offsets of speakers, in a very hard room, can lead to odd results.

My guess is that they will occur to a lesser effect in a room with carpet on the floor and some absorbent furniture.

Let us all know what you find.

Best,

Gil

In my view, there are not pat answers. You have to try both and hear what works best. Aiming is a part of the experiment and aiming toward the listener is a good start.

If you're taking steps about aiming, this pretty much eliminates placing the tube on top of the speaker. Maybe you can find a table for the tube and then fuss with the speaker underneath.

Placing the speaker above will require some ingenutity, but you can work on it.

In a perfect world, the flanking units and the center will be at the same height (at least the mid and tweeter). However, some compromise may well be tolerable.

I ran into some odd effects with my three channel system in the garage. The geometery is very symetric. The walls are sheetrock and the floor concrete.

The mid and tweeter for the center is about 1.5 feet lower than those of the flanking units. I use a passive mixer for the center channel.

On at least one recording, Fleetwood Mac, The Dance, the female vocal is remarkably centered and floats well above the center channel speaker and even above the mids and tweeters of the flanking unit. Spooky. This may be because of strong floor and ceiling reflections.

I also tried a passive surround set up per the Dynaco set- up with EV 120M horns (only midrange) and this with Symphonic Star Trek by Telarc. I.e. the surrounds were getting only L-R with no time delay. Very, very primitive. Let me add that the CD is a wonderful collection of music and effects.

The surround horns were up near the ceiling. I will say that this didn't work with any consistency. However, on the Tribble track, while standing in one location, the Tribbles seemed to be on the floor and placed at different spots, with their melodious purring.

I just report the above to say that in my experience the vertical offsets of speakers, in a very hard room, can lead to odd results.

My guess is that they will occur to a lesser effect in a room with carpet on the floor and some absorbent furniture.

Let us all know what you find.

Best,

Gil

"speed of light = 299,792,458 m / s

speed of sound = 340.29 m / s

Therefore put the center channel on the coffee table directly in front of you."

----------------------------------------------------------

So, I guess headphones are the only way to get perfect lip sync!6.gif I guess I'll sell the Cornwalls 2.gif

Thanks for the input.

I just read that center channels above or below Direct View TV's (which is what I have) should be magnetically shielded. Is the RC35 an exception? If it isn't, will I really screw something up by placing it there, or will I just not have as good of a picture?