Record Doctor II on Ebay

shload

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually have the Nitty Gritty 1.0, which is basically the same unit in an even cheaper box. It works GREAT! This is the second one I have owned, the first having lasted about 8 years!

nitty gritty 10.jpg

I have been on the fence about buying one of these. Eveyone I have ever talked to who has owned one tells me that it is DRAMITICALLY better than anything they have ever used. But at $1795 I just can't seem to pull the trigger. I could buy 4 or 5 REALLY nice records for $1795!

New furniture models

I have been have way looking for one of these the last couple of years, but I was hoping to find one used for about $100., I only have about 20 to 30 records that need to be cleaned and spending $150-$200 for one seems like a lot for something I will only use for a little while and than it will be sitting in the closet. I have heard they do a real nice job of cleaning up records. I have seen where you can buy some of them and they cost more than a high dollar turntable would cost. If anyone sees one or has one in the $100. range let me know.

----------------

On 4/17/2004 6:56:05 PM Randy Taylor wrote:

I have been have way looking for one of these the last couple of years, but I was hoping to find one used for about $100., I only have about 20 to 30 records that need to be cleaned and spending $150-$200 for one seems like a lot for something I will only use for a little while and than it will be sitting in the closet. I have heard they do a real nice job of cleaning up records. I have seen where you can buy some of them and they cost more than a high dollar turntable would cost. If anyone sees one or has one in the $100. range let me know.

----------------

Randy,

Buy more records so you have more use for one. My guess is if you do get one, the lps will follow!1.gif

In the meantime, clean your lps in the kitchen sink. It works pretty well. Before I bought my VPI, I had a dedicated soft sponge and cloth set aside. It certainly worked better than the brushes. Anti-static brushes are a must also. A good cleaning lasts a lot of plays. I've had mine for a little less than a year and have yet to clean the same lp twice. The anti-static brush is all you need in between cleanings.

I had been considering an RCM myself for some time.

Thought about buying a Record Doctor II or the KAB EV-1, and I also thought about building my own.

I settled on a 1hp mini shop vac from Ace hardware for 25$.

1HP is a lot but works great with the smaller attachment, and seems perfect. I wrapped fleece around the end and secured it with some black electricians tape. Then I cut into the fleece, puncturing a slit. I trashed a broken old junk TT, and use it to clean on then I vaccuum with the shopvac, angling the suction attachment just slightly so I hear the squeal of air and don't just have the thing "stuck" on the LP as I spin. I think this sucks up the fluid instead of the fleec smearing it becuase when angled the attachment seems to suck up the fluid before the attachment "gets there". I use Record Resaerch cleaners and a nitty gritty brush.

The advantages:

1. Cheap cost

2. Shop-vac can be used for other things (very handy if all you have now is your stand up vac)

3. No internally hidden vacuum like the Record Doctor II has (what if something goes wrong or overheats etc.)

4. Using an old TT for cleaning you have a full platter to actually use some force and scrub the LP.

5. You can vac where ever you want on the record while your looking at it, right after you clean. No flipping the LP over or the chance of section not getting vac'd.

Record Research cleaners are supposed to be compatible with air drying since they claim they have no resdidues etc. so I was doing that for a while, but what about the gunk, mold release fun, and all that dirt on your precious records....just suck em up! and it just feels really great to vac 'em clean. I have had nothing but positive results. I picked up a Stanley Clarke album with a bunch of classical at Goodwill the other day, cleaned it and it sounds great.

The lower cost machines form Nitty Gritty and KAB are tempting but I just went out for some other stuff at ACe and when I saw the shop vacs on sale, no less, I said, "I can make this work". So far so good.

Jon

The Loricroft looks intense, and there's nothing wrong with the Record Doctor II I assume, but I did read a couple things that led me to where I am now. The KAB EV-1 utilizes a vaccuum that you already own. I guess a small shop vac would work best for that; I wouldn't want to be hauling a stand up vac out of a closet everytime I wanted to clean an LP, and it's an eyesore.

I do have pics and can post some later.

Jon

My record cleaner is similar to doctorcilantro's, using a cheap, low power shop vac and a free turntable.

If anyone wants to spend $1795 on a record cleaner, be my guest, but I think it's absurd. A fancy record cleaner doesn't suck any better than a shop vac. There's nothing magic here. You clean the record and have a vacuum cleaner suck up the dirt.

Many people with automatic machines clean manually anyway. You can buy some thread at a fabric shop for less than a dollar if you want to gaze at a spool.

For elegance and class, I could see spending a few hundred on a VPI, but $1795 is getting into nutty land.

Maybe not so nutty when a milk crate half full of LPs is worth more than YOUR entire system times TEN or more! Everyone record collector/lover I know who owns either the Loricraft or the Monks machine has told me that the machine is LIGHT YEARS better than the VPI 17, that records cleaned with RRL and/or Disc Doctor fluids and then vacuumed with a VPI and were still noisy often became remarkably more quiet after being cleaned by the Loricraft. Your comment about "looking at" a $1 spool of thread only shows how ignorant, intolerant and closed-mined you are. But we already knew that, didn't we?

----------------

On 4/24/2004 6:15:08 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Maybe not so nutty when a milk crate half full of LPs is worth more than YOUR entire system times TEN or more! Everyone record collector/lover I know who owns either the Loricraft or the Monks machine has told me that the machine is LIGHT YEARS better than the VPI 17, that records cleaned with RRL and/or Disc Doctor fluids and then vacuumed with a VPI and were still noisy often became remarkably more quiet after being cleaned by the Loricraft. Your comment about "looking at" a $1 spool of thread only shows how ignorant, intolerant and closed-mined you are. But we already knew that, didn't we?

----------------

You were warned about personal attacks before, Allan. Can't you remember what happened last time you flipped out?

I'm happy that you enjoy the company of conspicuous consumption dudes. I'm sure they love bragging up their wares to the drooling and gullible.