Fabulous Recordings

For a few years I have been making little suggestions about fabulous Latin Jazz and Cuban music recordings on these boards, even listing where they were easily available. Aside from a couple of friends here that I know about, I am curious, to know if and what any of you have pursued along these lines, and which recordings you like, and how great they sound on your systems. This will be most instructive to me.

C&S

A couple weeks ago I picked up the Getz/Byrd Jazz Sambo lp from the Salvation Army store and since then have picked up a number of SACDs/CDs including Getz/Gilberto, Charlie Byrd Trio, etc. I missed your initial posts about these but I'm now hooked and listen to them often. If you could point me in the direction of your original thread or give me some more suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for asking.

How great do they sound? Like most cd's the older they are, the more the lack of modern mixing techniques stand out. That said, here's my offerings in no particular order:

Armando Manzanero-Entre Amigos

Gilberto Gil- Acoustic

Bosa Nova-Sound Track Various Artists

Cesaria Evora-Cape Verde Islands

Strunz and Farah-Heart of the Sun

Fania All Satrs with Celia Cruz

Willie and Lobo-anything but especially Caliente (a recording they themselves didn't particularly like)

Willie and Lobo don't quite fit the Latin jazz mode being a cross between jazz, flamenco, new world and new age but as you can tell I'm a huge fan.

I don't have much in Latin music but....

Look for Cal Tjader's Latin + Jazz = Cal Tjader. You can even get it on SACD. Great upbeat Latin Jazz.

Edit:

Close to cuban, Nathaniel Saunders is from the Bahamas and does more folk type story telling songs. At least the one CD I have of his titled Bimini Nights is that way. One of the songs, 'Big Fat Slob', on this CD allegedly tells the story of how Earnest Hemingway got into a fight over a fish story. Per the liner notes Nathanial was "Hemingway's fishing guide on many a trip and contributed key sections to his Nobel prize winning book 'Old Man And The Sea'."

P.S. How's that for digging out a CD that I bet no one else has?