Heresy Placement

bigyank

As I start the quest on placement, afte reading some good suggestions from others to me in this forum (thanks), I was thinkg of using small speaker stands instead of the risers. Weird thing on these is that until I bought mine off Epay, the others with risers looked like their risers were even with the floor and mine are angled back almost 20 degrees. Questions are how high if I use stands (eventually will be driving a sub with them) or just stick to the risers. My room is about 12x16 (carpeted) with 8 foot ceiling.

Yank

Yank,

The Heresies were designed to set on the floor and in corners. The idea of the risers is to angle the tweeters toward ear level. Depending on how far away you are from the speakers, you may need to adjust the slope.

You don't have to have them on the floor, of course. There have been different times over the years when I owned Heresies that I did not have them on the floor. A good time not to is if you have a cat that is not declawed. You typically will lose bass response if you have them up higher. But you can experiment around and decide what sounds best to you.

----------------

On 4/19/2004 8:54:06 PM garymd wrote:

There are 2 types of risers. Slanted and level. Newer model Heresy IIs came with the optional slanted version. I have a pair of each with my '72s (not standard equipment back then) thanks to Greg and his veneering project.

----------------

Interesting comment here. My Heresy's which are from 1985 have the slanted risers so these are not stock then?

The slant riser option came out sometime around 1980...maybe a bit later or earlier. Prior to that time, the riser option only consisted of the "level" risers. For many years risers were an added-cost option. It appears that they eventually became standard for inclusion, and even later the slant riser became a standard inclusion item...but I am not sure exactly when the slants became standard...sometime after 1983, though.

I had my Heresy's on the corners, but with their tweeter at the ear level. The bass was ok.

But now I have them far from the corners, deep in to the room and still raised to my ear levels. The bass is gone.

BUT

I have the most astonishing imaging and soundstage you could ever imagine. This speakers are holographical.

I have the heresy IIs on the slanted risers. I then secured those to a wood box that I bought at an unfirnished furniture store that is about 1 foot x 1 foot x 10 inches high. I actually feel more bass, enough that, if I didn't know they started fading at 65hz, I wouldn't believe it. I've had them for 14 years or so, and was very surprised. By screwing the risers in them, you add no holes to the speakers, and can easily go back and forth. Try it, I was very surprised.

Del

Yank,

Welcome.

You have to play with them for each room setup.

Right now I have a pair that I am using in my bedroom system.

I wanted them on the wall at the end of the bed. This did not work because I didn't have cable long enough (lesson here NEVER mix wine and a tape measure).

I ended up putting the speakers on night stands on the head board end, in the corners, toed in.

They sound great. When I am in bed reading, the sweet spot is in the middle of the bed.

When I am getting ready for work I have this system cranked up. When I stand at the end of the bed the sound just fills the wall and sounds so darn smooth.

I have plenty of bass.

If I was going to use these for my main speakers again I would have them in the corners,toed in with tweeters at ear level when I am sitting down.

Play with your speakers. Set them on chairs to raise them. Set them on their sides, etc.

You have some nice speakers.

Danny

Hello yank - I have had heresy for 24+ years - currently 3 pair and a modified center heresy. They are an extraordinarily versatile speaker and can be moved relatively easy compared to the rest of the heritage stuff (granted 40lbs is still heavy). I have found that my favorite is higher in the corners with a bit of toe and downward angle. Bass suffers just a tad, but I have had a sub with primary music heresy for a decade and believe that is the best way to take care of the weaker bass on these speakers.

Move them around and enjoy the sound.

Hi,

The comments above will help you, but experimentation is still required.

My Heresy IIs have the slant risers as well. When I was stationed in Germany, they had very little bass while sitting on a ceramic tile floor and nestled in the corners of the room. In my current digs, courtesy of Uncle Sam, they are somewhat congested in the bass/midbass when sitting on the wooden floor and several feet out from the corners.

Try using them on the floor (with the risers) and on concrete blocks (to simulate stands). If you prefer the concrete blocks, then you should hunt down some decent stands.

Enjoy,

Jeff

Lurch, is your wooden floor your Heresys currently sit on carpeted or is it just the wooden floor? I have no idea of where you are stationed, but if there is a Wal-Mart close by, you might get better performance by picking up some grippers in the hardware department for your Heresys. They are found in the area that has the feet for chairs and such. They are black neoprene foam thingies that have a pebble-grained texture on one side and a self-adhesive on the other. You just pry out the metal gliders on the bottom of your risers, and replace those with the peel-n-stick Grippers. You may find it works better to add one gripper on the bottom of the risers between each corner of the riser, too. This will "couple them" to the smooth-surfaced floor with similar results to using spikes on carpeted floors. It is an inexpensive fix (a couple of bucks or so), and well-worth a try, considering the better performance it normally gives for your particular speakers on a smooth-surfaced floor. I would suggest getting the black 3/4" diameter round Grippers for this particular application. They also work well for Heresys with no risers on them in the same floor-type conditions. If you try this, let us know how it works out for you.

----------------

On 4/23/2004 6:19:22 PM v3pcbl wrote:

I have the heresy IIs on the slanted risers. I then secured those to a wood box that I bought at an unfirnished furniture store that is about 1 foot x 1 foot x 10 inches high. I actually feel more bass, enough that, if I didn't know they started fading at 65hz, I wouldn't believe it. I've had them for 14 years or so, and was very surprised. By screwing the risers in them, you add no holes to the speakers, and can easily go back and forth. Try it, I was very surprised.

Del
----------------

I'm sorry I didn't get the idea...

You have a box, and the speaker placed over it?

Could you take a picture??

Thanks!!

----------------

On 4/25/2004 12:44:53 PM HDBRbuilder wrote:

Lurch, is your wooden floor your Heresys currently sit on carpeted or is it just the wooden floor?

----------------

They are on a rug. But thanks for the info. Since I move every couple of years, it may come in handy some time. BTW, I'm at the AF Academy.

Jeff