An Analog post some of you may find interesting?

j-malotky

Last weekend I had the privilege to be able to spend some time talking with Paul Richards from the California Guitar trio. One of the topics of conversation was there upcoming album to be released next fall. He mentioned that this was the first recording they had done that was fully recorded and mixed in Analog.

All the members of the band could not believe how detailed the recordings were compared to there earlier recordings. I think his words were that all there jaws dropped to the floor as they listened to the incredible detail.

He went on to say that when they did transfers to digital using the best DACs available, the music just seemed to loose some of its magic, and it was hard to put it in words, but it was just missing something. I can relate to this experience, I think most of us here can, and why I am sharing these observations.

This became to be because Tony Levin, the famous bass player with the golden ear, is producing this album and recommended, no strongly encouraged, them to use a friends studio in Woodstock NY to do there recording in pure analog.

I asked them if they were going to release it on vinyl. I never got a solid answer, but I could tell by Pauls expressions he was thinking about it. Hideyo made a comment that it would not be cost effective based on the amount of record sales the band does. I still encouraged them all to think about it.

No matter if it is released on vinyl or not, just the fact that Tony Levin is producing it, I am sure it will sound absolutely amazing.

Also, if Tony has become an Analog proponent, Im sure there will be more bands going back to Analog.

Paul said the recording was completely finished, when asked about why the late release, it is because of Tonys schedule, which, for those of you who are waiting and heard rumors, here is what I found:

TONY will be playing with KING CRIMSON this SUMMER!

This will be good news to some of you here1.gif

JM

I think there's a lot of this going on. I recently met a gentleman who used to be a recording engineer and acquired a TON of high quality recording equipment - specifically some high-end tube microphones.

To make a long story short..He has created a very lucrative business out of renting his equipment to recording artists. When I met him, he was on his way to Los Angeles to pickup some mics that Wilson Phillips had used for their upcoming studio album.

There are still a lot of artists who truly care about the quality of the production from content to performance to recording.

Thise company's mics are very well regarded. They are modeled after the originals by various companies.

http://www.soundeluxmics.com/

You will find that a company also makes an exact replica of a Telefunken 251, but the price is around $10k as I remember it.

http://www.telefunkenusa.com/

Notice that TelefunkenUSA just bought the name, although they do have Telefunken EL84 and EL34 tubes.

What is amazing is how many studios actually still use a Shure SM57 to mic their speaker cabinets. We're talking a $75 mic. But the big old tube mics are so cool.

Marvel

----------------

On 4/20/2004 5:24:37 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Here is the reason why he FLYS IN to pick up his stuff and hand-carries it home!

The replacement tube alone is worth at least $1500.
----------------

Oh yes, this is why we weren't allowed to touch the tube mics until we were upperclassmen at Fredonia. And those were only lowly U67! Heh. Even the U47-FET were amazing. The new Sino-capsule stuf is good for the price, but will never compare to the real high-buck mics out there. We had a Neumann guy come and give a seminar once. Talk about R&D expense, these guys make amplifier and speaker manufacturers look like kids playing with Legos.

Wolfram,

I believe you have already tried the analog recordings of TACET (a German company...). And also these of the Analog Audio Association (based at Reutlingen). What is nice, though, is that alongside these analog devotees, a number of reputable sound engineers - like Tony Faulkner - are returning to full analog recording. There is a very good article on this trend in this month's HI-FI NEWS.

Aristidis,

I have heard of TACET, but not actually listened to any of those LPs. As far as I recall the Analog Audio Association specializes in reissues of already existing recordings (which is fine - I once listened to their reissue of Orff's 'Die Kluge' - impressive).

I have a few CDs recorded by Tony Faulkner but I don't think they are analog...anyway, it's interesting news....and thanks for having pointed out those sources above.

Wolfram

Wolfram,

I guess Aristidis buys some of his records from the same place I do - the local Clearaudio Distributor. I have a bunch of AAA records and they are all STAGGERINGLY GOOD!!!

If the only copy I have is anything to go by the TACET recordings are even better!

Not quite as good but in the same vein check out the Opus recordings. Opus is a Swedish company and they seem to have a larger collection of recordings out there than the other 2. As I understand it from the sleeves these are exclusively distributed by Clearaudio. It is also worth checking out the recordings that Clearaudio supply under their own name (done by Opus again). Again, I only have one - a test record with various music styles on it, including classical and Jazz - it is right up there with the Tacet recording.

From my limited exposure to vinyl over the last 3 years it seems we are actually doing rather better in Europe with Classical re-issues and analogue recording than they are in the US. I dont think I have come across any classical new issues from the US recorded in analogue.

John, thats kind of interesting. You know I play pro. And many of my cohorts never did get into digital.

I recently purchased 2 SACDs from Red Rose Music (Mark Levinsons current company). The preface to the first disc (recorded in DSD/SACD) stated the following:

When I was 5 my family got a record player & a neighbor built us a speaker. My family got much pleasure from that system.

At 18, I bought a Garrard TT. Plugged it into a tape recorder which had an amplifier & speaker. I enjoyed that system too.

Eventually I became a musician & supplemented my income with recording, working with open-reel analog tape. I loved the medium.

I got into PCM digital because it was convenient, low cost, because everyone else was using it. I didnt realize until many years later that the enjoyment of music went away.

At first I thought, Ah, just more ML BS. But then I thought, gee, in the early 90s I went back into playing music professionally. Didnt listen to music much anymore. Then it occurred to me, could it be possible that I too wasnt listening because of PCM? And then it hit me. The music recording industry has basically been in decline, for 20 years. The same amount of time since the introduction of PCM/CD. Could there be a correlation?

Then, I was looking up an article on SACD (for other reasons than analog comparison, mainly SACD vs DVD-A). And guess what I found?

Meitner: Because there is a subliminal irritation about PCM that may just affect the psyches of people in a bad way, and certainly distracts from the pleasure of listening to music. And if listening to music was considered as relaxation and was supposed to be a way to relieve stress, then PCM, like CD playback, certainly doesnt do it as well as some of the old analogue stuff did.

Pappas: So maybe thats one of the reason the music industry sales have been down.

Meitner: Possible. Aside from the fact that, right now, it doesnt seem to be the same scene as I remember from the 60s and 70s. This is a hard thing to say, but I hear from a lot of people that, with an LP, you used to sit down, close your eyes, and sort of float away with the music, relax and unstress. And with CD, its just not the same thing anymore. So even though you might not hear the problems glaring at you immediately, Im sure they wear.

The article/interview took place several years ago.

I would hope he'd release the album on both vinyl and digital That would be a happy medium - I can't deal with all the idiosyncracies of vinyl again, after having ditched it nearly 20 years ago. Once you've thrown out your 'Discwasher', there's no turning back! 2.gif

----------------

On 4/21/2004 3:05:29 PM j-malotky wrote:

I am surprised none of you were excited that Tony Levin is going to be playing with King Crimson again

JM

----------------

Whats to be surprised about John? (again?)

Tony is an awesome bassman/musician. One of my all-time favs. KC has always been kind of an open on going revolving door project. None the less, I'm sure the next round will be at least as awesome as his previous go at it. Maybe if he invites me to their concert when he comes thru town, like Roger Waters did, .......then I'll get excited! 3.gif

BTW John, isn't California Guitar Project one of the CD's you brought along when you came over to my place for a listen?

----------------

On 4/21/2004 4:48:12 PM artto wrote:

BTW John, isn't California Guitar Project one of the CD's you brought along when you came over to my place for a listen?

----------------

Yes it was. It was the last CG3+2 CD that came out 2 years ago. Plus two is Tony Levin and Pat Mastelotto. One of my favorite recordings.

I know KC is a revolving project. I am just looking forward to seeing Tony play with them again. Nothing against Trey Gunn of course.

Artto, any time you want me to swing by, just let me know, I would love to hear your setup again. Your system and room setup is absolutely amazing.

JM

John, your more than welcome anytime! In fact, I'd like to get your impression again since I've made some acoustical changes since you were here. Tim Babb is also supposed to bring his Wright 2A3's over one of these weekends.