Cornwalls

A pair of 1984 Cornwalls for $500, you better hurry before someone beats you to them. They should have the K-33E woofer, K-55V midrange w/K-600 Metal horn, K-77M tweeter. But if they were near the transition period to the Cornwall II era ('85-'90) they may have a composite horn lens and a different midrange. Either way they are going to sound good! If the cabinets are not in rough shape and all the drivers are working, $500 is a great deal.

Even better, Walnut Oil finish. Just place you ear up to each driver individually to ensure that they are all functioning correctly. Gently spread out your fingers and push on the woofer to ensure it moves freely and there is no scratchy noises coming from the voice coils. They are pretty tough speakers so I think you will be alright. Parts are readily available for them on eBay, AudioGon and from forum members and Klipsch parts. Why are you still on the computer you need to be in your car/truck/van going to pick these up! 9.gif Welcome to the forum by the way! 9.gif

A good deal! Worth maybe as much as 600, 800 to 1,000 DEPENDING on the model number and condition. Should be able to use them and sell them for what you paid. Or use them for a decade and make a profit.

Are the corners nicked? Are loudspeaker cable posts small, bent or loose? What modifications were made? Does each driver work (block the other drivers)? Is there any visible damage to the drivers? Do they have the labels on the back? Is there dust on the drivers? Has he opened them at all? Are any wires loose? Why is he selling them? Does he have a cheap solid-state front-end? Will he go lower in price if you get them today?

3.gif

I only have a few minutes to give this advice. So here goes:

1. Ask if the current owner is the ORIGINAL owner, then ask about the type of music he likes. Jazz folks and easy listening folks do NOT normally abuse equipment. Ask about the type of amplification used over the years...hopefuly it was NOT high-powered amps OVER 125 Watts per channel, but even if it WAS there will likely be no problems with the Cornwalls, since they can handle much more than just 105 WPC recommended maximum...providing it is CLEAN power.

2. Look at the cabinets. If they have mitered corners, they are walnut veneer. If the corners are a butt-joint, then they are birch plywood stained to look like walnut. Look at the labels on the back if they are still on the speakers. Walnut veneer with an oiled finish will say "CWO"; wheras walnut veneer with a laquer finish will say "CWL". Birch cabinets will either say "CBL" (for laquer) OR "CBR" for raw birch (meaning they left the factory with no finish on them). check the outside of the cabinets for damage, nicks, pieces of veneer missing, etc. If they are walnut veneer, and the front edge veneer is peeling off, damaged, or needs replacing that is an easy inexpensive fix, so don't worry too much about that...all that fix needs is 12 bucks and a trip to Home Depot...then an exacto knife and a hot iron. Now, remove the grille cloth panel, it is held on by velcro tabs to the front of the speaker. Look at the woofer, notice if its center voice coil dustocover is dented-in or damaged. Look for other woofer damage on the cone and surround. Look at the rear of the cabinets. Check again to ensure labels remain and then look at the binding posts back there, to ensure they are tight to the cabinet back panel and in good shape.

3. If everything looks good on them, then ask to hear them. Using moderate volume with music that has cymbals in it (lots of high frequencies), put your ear to the tweeter on each one of them to ensure it is functioning properly...if you hear nothing coming from the tweeters then they likely are ONLY in need of diaphragm replacement...a relatively cheap fix. It will be easy to tell if the midrange horns are working because that is where the voices will be coming from. Observe the woofer action, to ensure they are working properly. You aren't looking for how loud the speakers play when doing this, you are just checking to ensure that everything works well...besides, they will sound different on what you have at home, anyway. If you hear any "scratchiness" coming from the woofers, then they have rubbing voice coils and will need to be repalced or repaired...but you will likely not hear any problem if they APPEAR to be in good shape.

4. Remember, these were built in 1984, so by determining the age of the seller, you will be able to determine how old he was when he bought them. Use that information to help judge whether he is being honest about the history of the speakers. One thing about Cornwalls is that very few folks ever purchased them who were in their 20's age-wise when they did so...younger folks normally went for LaScalas, instead...since the original cost was about the same for LaScalas as for Cornwalls.

5. Ask the seller if he ever took off the back of the cabinets and looked inside or did anything to them inside. Be sure to check the heads of the screws on the back to see if they look like they have been removed...you know what I mean! They are Phillips head screws and normally people don't take a lot of care in ensuring the heads of the screws don't get "boogered-up" by the screwdriver used in removing them/replacing them.

500 bucks for a local purchase of a pair of Cornwalls in walnut veneer in great shape is one helluva deal! If they were still being made today, they would cost about 4200 bucks a pair NEW! Remember, they went for about the same price as LaScalas when they were being made. New raw LaScalas go for about 4100 bucks a pair now...maybe more!

The Cornwall II's had different drivers, composite horn lenses vs. metal ones and the drivers were flush mounted on the motorboard instead of being mounted behind them. They also had the banana plug type binding posts on the rear.

I am buying a pair of supposed Birch Raw Cornwall II's this evening for $700, I got a photo from the seller but it looks like they have the 45 degree mitered veneer corners on the front edge so I am confused as to whether they are Birch Raw or not. I posted a photo in the Updating Older Speaker section, Andy can you look at these and see what your thoughts are as to them being Raw Birch.

Which is better is widely debated, and it is pretty much personal preference IMHO.

The Cornwalls have more model changes through the years than any other Heritage speaker.

I prefer the original Cornwall IIs that have vertically oriented horns (unless you lay the speakers on their sides...which is how some were designed).

Then came Cornwalls (sometimes referred to as 'I's. Then the later Cornwall IIs that began right around late '83 early '84 if my memory serves.

Go take a look and a listen. You can't go wrong for that price and if they are close by not having to ship is another big bonus. If for some reason you don't like them you can always sell them later for more than you paid!

Most people on this forum and elsewhere prefer the original version, however the newer drivers in the Cornwall II are probably a little smoother and less aggressive. The K-48-K woofer in the CII was also a bit larger than the K-33E which may have given it a little better bass response. These are only my opinions though. If you don't like them, which I highly doubt you can turn right around and sell them to get your money back and more perhaps.