Allan Songer, help finding music

Allan Songer

You are the most knowledgeable person I know of that I can turn to for music guidance.

I am looking for blues but something more along the lines of the record I am spinning right now. Briefcase full of blues by the Blues Brothers, yes by the famous Jake and Elwood Blues of Saturday night fame and the band they pulled together recorded at their appearance at the Universal Amphitheater in 1978 (Atlantic st-a-784191-mo)

If this is a unique album that fits nothing else, well, sorry for wasting your time. If it is called something else, what? Thanks in advance,

Wayne

The reason I questioned the genera of what I want is that it isnt traditional blues. It is up beat and high tempo with lots of brass. Not Jazz, not Dixieland, sort of a blues meats rock and roll with a horn section. It is a sound that I have been trying to find but have been unable to pin a label on, so as to narrow the search. Any help from anyone else?

mdeneen, you posted as I was wrighting the above message, Thanks for the help, and starting point! Jump blues, that is a fitting name for that "sound" 1.gif

Cable, there was a lot of 60s R&B, Gospel, and Soul influence in the Blues Brothers stuff. Hence, the presence of guest artists like Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin & James Brown.

In the 60s, if you were a white kid & were from Chicago proper, you were into Soul, the then black music equivalent of todays rap that interestingly enough, seems to also have been adopted my the young white boy crowd. So I think youll have better luck looking into that music genera. Other artists might include Thelma Houston (check out the old Sheffield Labs recording of this if you can). Wilson Pickett, Brook Benton, Isley Brothers, Otis Redding, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, The Temptations, Rufus Thomas, Irma Thomas, Sam & Dave.

Jump blues (or swing blues) was more of a west coast thing. When I played with the Carl Davis Band here in Chicago we did mostly jump blues. Our Harp player, Joe Filisko is one of the best in the world. I believe Rick Estrin (of Charlie & the Nightcats) plays Filisko harps (Joe is well known for his harmonicas). We used to jam with these guys. We were the house band at Beale Street (Chicago) at the time where they played when coming thru town.

----------------

On 4/23/2004 8:57:30 AM boomac wrote:

Paul Butterfield?

----------------

While I love Paul Butterfield ( and all of the other artists mentioned), & Cable may wind up loving him too, I don't think it's the "kind of blues" or the kind of music The Blues Brothers was based on as Cable was referring to.

Thank you every one for responding! I have spent about $40 on line buying a little of this and that, some lps, some cds, just random samples of artists you recomended. There is such a welth of information by so many great people here that I am sure I am headed in the right direction! I should have known that a forum such as this would have had the information I was looking for.

artto, it is funny you should mention the temptations, I have an lp from them I recieved in the 60s as a christmas present from an neighbor that is STILL UNPLAYED! I wasn't into them at the time, you know the "english invasion" and all of that! I am going to take it out and see what is on it tonight!9.gif9.gif