To HELL with record cleaning machines! Let's listen to some Sonny Criss!!!!

Allan Songer

Sonny Criss. A man who figured out what he did best at 19 and spent the rest of his life pursuing that vision. While still a teen he was holding his own on the same stage as Charlie Parker, Wardell Gray, Teddy Edwards, Dexter Gordon and all of the LA heavy hitters circa 1947/48--Criss was a true bebop believer and never waivered from that style for the next 25 years. He caught the eye of Norman Granz who put him on the JATP bill and recorded him and released a 10" LP in 1950. But for some reason he didn't stick with Granz and it would be several years before Criss saw the inside of a recording studio. But in 1955/56 Criss recorded three LPs for the Imperial label. Imperial was NOT a jazz label--they were busy making money with Ricky Nelson and never put a dime into promoting these three records which offer some of the GREATEST bebop alto his side of Bird and KILLER sidemen, including the great Sonny Clark on piano--these were Clark's last sessions in Los Angeles before heading to New York and Blue Note. I often wonder what might have happened had Criss made the move with him--maybe he would have found some fame if not fortune there. But Criss sayed in LA and in obscurity.

The three Imperial LPs are all but impossible to find and are are crazy expensive. There were nice Japanese reissues in the 1980's, but these too are scarce.

Luckily all of these sessions have been collected on a 2-disc reissue on (of all labels!) BLUE NOTE! If you want to hear BREATHTAKING pure bebop alto from a master, then you should ABSOLUTELY buy this compilation:

e19195pbej0.jpg

Criss recorded another obsure LP for the small Peacock label in the early 1960's and headed to France for a couple of years where he recorded two BRILLIANT albums for Brunswick--again these are IMPOSSIBLE to find but were reissued in the 1980's by Fresh Sound and finally again on CD a couple of years ago. As far as I know this one is still in print and worth tracking down:

e830232vu17.jpg

Back in the states and broke in 1966, Criss sent a tape to Prestige in New Jersey and asked if they might like to reocord him. Weinstock agreed and finally Criss was given the opportunity to record for a "premier" jazz label and over the next four years cut a string of OUTSTANDING straight-ahead bop albums with great side men, the first two of which should be in every serious jazz collection:

c560588yv3y.jpg

B000000YVC.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Criss moved over to Impulse! in the 1970's and recorded a couple of mediocre, commerical-oriented albums and then in 1975 he recorded "Crisscraft" for Muse and it was perhaps his strongest outing since the Brunswick sessions--he absulutely TEARS IT UP!!! And Dolo Coker is particularly strong on piano at the session as well.

B000006C5B.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Soon after this LP was released Sonny Criss took his own life. He had been diagnosed with stomach cancer and was in great pain just coudn't hold on.

If you love jazz, but a couple of Sonny Criss CDs--you'll thank me when you hear them!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor, part of it has to do with genius,and part of it is history being present at every level. They are like paintings - the one you get at an antique store, done by the master artist, will be worth two or three zeroes more than the copy at the Holiday Inn starving artists show.

Sooner or later in your life, you will start a serious collection of something valuable. The most important piece you "collect" will be your girlfriend, and on this person, you will lavish time, money and love, even though there will be others that are just as pretty, smart, witty, and have other desirable qualities.

The biggest reason to collect something is because it makes you happy and speaks to your soul.10.gif

----------------

On 4/25/2004 12:54:39 AM T_Shomaker wrote:

Why are all of the records you like so expensive?

----------------

A lot of it has to do with showing off. Kind of like, My tastes are so exquisite that they cannnot be satisfied with normal-priced records. One reason these records were made in such small quantities is that very few people liked them, because the music is boring to most people. The music on them isn't the main thing anymore, regardless, it's their rarity. They are collectibles.

Other items that are collectible are Klipsch heritage speakers and tube equipment2.gif Music is a little more problematic, as you have to buy into the genius the musicians are presenting. Perversely, I have starting enjoying older jazz, deap people classical, and heavy metal at the same time. Conversely, jazz lite makes me want to run to the bathroom. It strikes me like a diet rice cake.

There is no accounting for taste. I heard Janet Jackson sing for the first time recently, and was amazed at how weak her voice is. There are people that actually listen to her CDs?! But I certainly don't mind if people enjoy her singing; more power to them.

----------------

On 4/25/2004 7:50:23 AM paulparrot wrote:

There is no accounting for taste. I heard Janet Jackson sing for the first time recently, and was amazed at how weak her voice is. ----------------

You know, not all women have that huge battleaxe opera voice.

----------------

On 4/25/2004 6:04:56 AM sheltie dave wrote:

Sooner or later in your life, you will start a serious collection of something valuable. The most important piece you "collect" will be your girlfriend, and on this person, you will lavish time, money and love, even though there will be others that are just as pretty, smart, witty, and have other desirable qualities.

----------------

Or the other way around. I'm lucky my wife has collected me. Good thing my value hasn't gone up, eBay being so easy to use...

That, and not having a shipping crate big enough...

----------------

On 4/25/2004 8:25:29 AM fini wrote:

----------------

On 4/25/2004 6:04:56 AM sheltie dave wrote:

----------------

Or the other way around. I'm lucky my wife has collected
me.
Good thing my value hasn't gone up, eBay being so easy to use...

That, and not having a shipping crate big enough...

----------------

To funny good one and it goes double for me on both counts ! If I was worth anything my wife would have me on the auction block in a second. In fact she would most likely give me away for free if she could find someone that would actually take me 9.gif

Craig,

We ought to do something nice for our wives, to earn our keep. Mine is still asleep, so I think I will sneak out to the flea market and see if I can find another console for her.

----------------

On 4/25/2004 7:24:16 AM paulparrot wrote:

One reason these records were made in such small quantities is that very few people liked them, because the music is boring to most people.

----------------

Couldn't have said it better myself, Parrot! Most people are ignorant, uneducated, insensitive, uncaring, narrow-minded and just plain STUPID. When Mitch Miller was selling millions Sonny Criss was trying to support his family by playing in strip clubs. William Blake never sold more than 100 copies of his exquisite engravings and poetry in his lifetime. Van Gogh never sold a painting in HIS lifetime. Sometimes the masses come around but usually they don't. You may think me an elitist a-hole by trying to expose folks here to really EXCELLENT American music, but I would hope that you're in the minority. And I ALWAYS suggest current-issue CD releases as alternatives to the "collectibles" you so disdain.

And I appreciate it - thanks Allan. I never really considered either jazz or Allan's pursuit of original pressings to be elitist. Hell, I see some of the crap people put on TOP of their sacred Klipsch speakers and $1000+ for an original Blue Note will surely look like a better investment in 20 years than a $250 Hummel (sp?) or other such "collectible" knick knack.

But then again, I guess I generally do stay away from the "popular" things (if we are saying that jazz was put out in limited numbers b/c no one liked it or got it). I don't really watch tv, don't read Clancy, King or Grisham, don't listen to Janet, and will not decorate my speakers by way of the Bradford Exchange. Things hit down the middle are just too easy.

Kevin

----------------

On 4/25/2004 9:56:49 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Most people are ignorant, uneducated, insensitive, uncaring, narrow-minded and just plain STUPID.

----------------

What a sorry philosophy to live by! Good thing you're here to save us, anyway.

Hey, everyone collects "things" that actually are useless. It might be a beautiful house, or a trophy wife, cars, jewelry, Klipsch speakers, tube amplifiers, speeding tickets, porcelain vases, Giens plates, you name it. If it made me happy, I would collect 1920s era sheltie knicknacks.

While we are all exotic birds of very rare lineage in aspect or another, rejoice in your eccentricities - because no one else is like you. It would be a very boring life if everyone collected Pez pencil sharpeners that only worked on used bubble gum, without any bass or treble attenuation, that had to be mounted on Blose cube speakers.

The worst part of going to mass at our Catholic parish every week is seeing the little Blose speakers fifteen feet up on the columns. Colleen noticed me eyeing them last week, and asked what I was thinking. 11.gif