To HELL with record cleaning machines! Let's listen to some Sonny Criss!!!!

Allan Songer

Just waking up in the morning gotta thank God

I don't know but today seems kinda odd

No barking from the dog, no smog

And momma cooked a breakfast with no hog

I got my grub on, but didn't pig out

Finally got a call from a girl wanna dig out

Hooked it up for later as I hit the dough

Thinking will i live, another twenty-fo'

I gotta go cause I got me a drop top

And if I hit the switch, I can make the *** drop

Had to stop at a red light

Looking in my mirror not a jacker in sight

And everything is alright

I got a beep from Kim and she can **** all night

Called up the homies and I'm askin y'all

Which court, are y'all playin basketball?

Get me on the court and I'm trouble

Last week ****ed around and got a triple double

Freaking brothers every way like M.J.

I can't believe, today was a good day

Drove to the pad and hit the showers

Didn't even get no static from the cowards

Cause just yesterday them fools tried to blast me

Saw the police and they rolled right past me

No flexin, didn't even look in a *****z direction

as I ran the intersection

Went to Short Dog's house, they was watchin yo on TV Raps

What's the haps on the craps

Shake em up, shake em up, shake em up, shake em

Roll em in a circle of *****z and watch me break em

With the seven, seven-eleven, seven-eleven

Seven even back do' little Joe

I picked up the cash flow

Then we played bones, and I'm yellin domino

Plus nobody I know got killed in South Central L.A.

Today was a good day

Left my *****z house paid

Picked up a girl been tryin to **** since the twelve grade

It's ironic, I had the brew she had the chronic

The Lakers beat the Supersonics

I felt on the big fat fanny

Pulled out the jammy, and killed the punanny

And my dick runs deep, so deep, so deep

put her *** to sleep

Woke her up around one

she didn't hesitate, to call Ice Cube the top gun

Drove her to the pad and I'm coasting

Took another sip of the potion hit the three-wheel motion

I was glad everything had worked out

Dropped her *** off, then I chirped out

Today was like one of those fly dreams

Didn't even see a berry flashing those high beams

No helicopter looking for a murder

Two in the morning got the fat burger

Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp

And it read Ice Cube's a pimp

Drunk as hell but no throwing up

Half way home and my pager still blowing up

Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.

I got to say it was a good day.

Hey wait, wait a minute fool

Stop the ****

What the **** am I thinking about?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Explicit lyrics.. but a work of revolutionary genius. Back to topic, have a nice pic of Sonny Criss at work that I'll try to post tomorrow. In 1968 Sonny won the Downbeat award for "Talent Deserving Of Wider Recognition", of the ranks of underappreciated he still stands out today.

C&S, if you opt for the excellent "Crisscraft" check out the 32 Jazz Records CD issue with bonus tracks to Blues in My Heart and All the Things You Are.

The scene that is freaking me out right now are the new Blue Note reissues of much of their classic catalogue for under $10 on CD. While I am digging at Vintage Vinyl, the Record Exchange, and Euclid Records(cheapest by far) I am scoring some real tasty jazz releases.

A man can not dine on rock alone. A well balanced meal will have classical, jazz, blues and other music as well2.gif

Now that this thread has returned to sonny criss I noticed that there is a new release coming on Tuesday. "The LOST SESSIONS" of Sonny Criss. Apparently these have never been released before and are remastere in 20Bit.

As a 29 yr old guy who grew up in Chicago (and lived in some of the cheapest, dirtiest parts of both Chicago and Milwaukee while paying my own damn way through college and law school) I have a real respect for some of the "gangsta" rap of the early and mid 90's. Public Enemy, NWA, and Dre as a solo act gave a voice to an unrepresented group. Angry and explicit? Sure - it HAD to be. "911 is a Joke" and "F*** tha Police" should stand as some of the most important social commentary of the last century. The pimping, drug slinging and abusing, and disrepect to women shown in other songs is shocking, yes?

That is the point. In the best performers it's intentional. In the rest it stands as an example.

Like or or don't and inderstand it or don't - no one cares. Calling garbage is short sighted and ignorant.

----------------

On 4/25/2004 7:15:49 PM kev313 wrote:

As a 29 yr old guy who grew up in Chicago (and lived in some of the cheapest, dirtiest parts of both Chicago and Milwaukee while paying my own damn way through college and law school) I have a real respect for some of the "gangsta" rap of the early and mid 90's. Public Enemy, NWA, and Dre as a solo act gave a voice to an unrepresented group. Angry and explicit? Sure - it HAD to be. "911 is a Joke" and "F*** tha Police" should stand as some of the most important social commentary of the last century. The pimping, drug slinging and abusing, and disrepect to women shown in other songs is shocking, yes?

That is the point. In the best performers it's intentional. In the rest it stands as an example.

Like or or don't and inderstand it or don't - no one cares. Calling garbage is short sighted and ignorant.

----------------

Calling garbage "garbage" is just being accurate. Celebrating lyrics like "F*** tha Police" is reprehensible. The rap audience was largely made of spoiled white kids playacting as tough guys. It had nothing to do with music and everything to do with hatred, a lot of it self-directed, no doubt.

You are right. A LOT of White suburban kids dig rap.

Speaking as someone who has had an up close look at the criminal justice system in a major urban area, I respectfully submit that a cry of "F### tha Police" from young African Americans is often needed and warranted. Shocking, sure. Good. Being too comfortable is a bad thing. Thinking everything is all right, everyone is honest, and everyone who should act morally and honestly actually does is reprehensible. Therefore, with respect to the rest of your post, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Hate to break it to Allen Songer, but "Dr. Dre" was a pretty normal kid that was a Make-up wearing priss in a group similar to the Commadores before he made up this whole "gansta role" that he portayed to finally make a career. Staight outta North Compton middle-class suburb. Anyway they all screwed themselves with that group, Cube was the only one smart enough not to sign the contract put forth. But Dre has redeemed himself and is a wonderful businessman now.

Paul, I caught a "Rap unplugged" program a month ago, and behind the facade, there is a blues soul. The drums and bass are the lingua franca of rap, but it is music.

I have had my *** shagged more than a couple times by the police, with the most recent being last week. As I went on the alley and dumpsters tour of near north St. Louis, I was pulled over by two police cruisers for suspicious behavior.

When I told them I was dumpster diving, one of the police poets noted that most white guys driving down alleys in that area were looking for tubes that had crystals in them, not vacuum tubes. The urge to paraphrase that slogan was quite large. Fortunately I have the St. Louis City marshall and police chief on my cell speed dial, otherwise McGruff the police dog would have sniffed my party Volvo.

Most police officers are in the field to do good. Others are there so they can wear a uniform, carry a gun, boss people around, and never, never be accountable for their own brutalistic tendancies. I've been in situations where bad or scared police officers have injured, brutalized, and killed people. They are just people, in a position where the good and bad they do is greatly magnified.

+++++++++++++++

Not relevant.

Unethical content ..most likely.

Immoral content... reasonably certain.

Promotion of violent and illegal activity...absolutly.

UNCIVILIZED USE OF MUSIC MEDIUM...without a doubt.

If it is art; it is uncivilized.

Not really wanting to take another swing at the dead horse, but...do you simply say, "This is bad/immoral/not good music."? How about,"Wow. This is shocking. I wonder why someone would say these things."

That is the point. There likely are those who use the music as a way to convice themselves that the music makes their illegal behavior o.k. I submit, however, that that mode of thinking is about as narrow-minded as believing that the music ACTUALLY condones illegal activity.

----------------

On 4/25/2004 8:20:37 PM ez8947 wrote:

Hate to break it to Allen Songer, but "Dr. Dre" was a pretty normal kid that was a Make-up wearing priss in a group similar to the Commadores before he made up this whole "gansta role" that he portayed to finally make a career. Staight outta North Compton middle-class suburb.

----------------

I drive through North Long Beach and Compton EVERY DAY and have for the last 18 years. Please point on the map to those nice, middle class "North Compton" suburbs.

http://imgs.maps.yahoo.com/mapimage?MAPData=Rn82Z_hyzy3ROh3iiNHUn8G0wB0LbM29Xwy37exJpXZSxaFIIQfSlh0orzrHnlGyqDetJXyROAyjJwnaP1a4Oh8_nLLV_cKW.G8KLn2TsCYXWKjKMY5xvxT8AjE5Smcyqmk-

And who gives a F*CK what Andre was doing BEFORE NWA anyway?

Hey let me get something clear. It struck me as strange that Alan would mention liking some rapp music. He mention the Artist above and the song. I did a quick search and the Lyrics popped up I just pasted them here for the heck of it. I lost interested after not easily finding the song and I'll be darn if I'll install another on of those pop up creating file sharing programs on a PC of mine again.

While I'm not a big rapp fan I find some of the songs caring a pretty good tune but this is very few. I couldn't even tell you the name of any of the songs I have thought were listenable. They are very few though. I didn't intend to make some kind of statement with that post at all.

Craig

+++++++++++++++

Not relevant.

Unethical content ..most likely.

Immoral content... reasonably certain.

Promotion of violent and illegal activity...absolutly.

UNCIVILIZED USE OF MUSIC MEDIUM...without a doubt.

If it is art; it is uncivilized.

+++++++++++++

What is not relevant? My response or the music itself?

If it is my post, I would agree with respect to the original intention of this thread. Inasmuch as it addresses Parrot's comments, I really did respond as well as I could. Simply calling an entire genre "garbage" - really a broad swipe - does not allow for a focused reply.

If you feel that the music itself is not relevant what exactly is it not relevant to?