"Metallica " Some kind of Monster , movie .

LOADEDTUNES

Read the article in this months addition of " Guitar World " about this summers release of " Some kind of monster " . I for one will not miss this one.

Metallica is the " King " of metal , no doubt about it . This movie is a look inside the lives of james hetfield and lars ulrich along with the other band members. I for one have always admired the go f@ck yourself attitude this band has protrayed to the recording industry and media in general.

This film is a open look at the Good " very bad " and " extremly ugly " life of this icon called METALLICA .

I for one can hardly wait to see this film .

Count me in as well 1.gif .

There is a canadian band called " Wide mouth mason " that adopted the same mentality as metallica , they gave the finger to the record industry and did things their way. These guys are a great example to up and coming bands , they record in back ally and basement studio's yet rock the roof off any live venue . One of the few bands i can honestly say sound better live then on a recording.

METALLICA is in a place that few bands will ever thread.

----------------

On 4/25/2004 8:12:52 PM LOADEDTUNES wrote:

Read the article in this months addition of " Guitar World " about this summers release of " Some kind of monster " . I for one will not miss this one.

Metallica is the " King " of metal , no doubt about it . This movie is a look inside the lives of james hetfield and lars ulrich along with the other band members. I for one have always admired the go f@ck yourself attitude this band has protrayed to the recording industry and media in general.

This film is a open look at the Good " very bad " and " extremly ugly " life of this icon called METALLICA .

I for one can hardly wait to see this film .

----------------

At one time Metallica might have represented that "metal" spirit, but now...they do everything in their power to exploit their fans, develop for record labels, and squeeze every last dime from anyone that has anything to do with them. They are not musicians anymore they are capitialists in every sense of the word. the very idea that they represent freedom and musical roots makes me gag.

they are the very definition of the term "sell out", in the music world. The majority of that is do to the ageing meglomaniac on the drums AKA Lars.

There was a time when metalica was king, but now...they're the jester, and their new horrible music shows this. What kind of band goes after its own fans???

and this movie thats coming out....well, one more way to squeeze a dollar from someones hand. If they still cared about the music anymore, I'd give them more credit, but they've shown time and time again as of late that only thing they respect is money.

I apologize for my tone here, but metalica has lost all of the things that made them great and a band that did it "their way". They have sold out to the highest bidder, and to say that they represent musical spirit at this point in their career is an insult to music in general.

RFinco: Your comments are bang on the money !!

Anyone on the outside looking in would think the same , pick up junes copy of guitar world and read the 10 page article. It addresses most of your issues and this movie is not a promo for " ST ANGER " it's a look at the human side of some self proclaimed " monsters " .

There are scenes in this movie that no one in their right mind would not edit out of a movie in order to protect ones image. But mettalica wants the world to see just how good bad and ugly the world they created for themselves is. All of your above mentioned issues will be answered in either the movie or in the article.

Keep an open mind and lets wait and see the other side of the story before we pass judgement on these guys.

Well, I somewhat agree and dis-agree with RFINCO. To say that Metallica sold out and is exploiting their fans is a little harsh. To quote Jason Newstead on the whole sell out issue "yea ,we sell out.... every show every night!" I am still a fan and I don't feel that neither is true. I do agree however that Lars's ego is getting way out of hand. Part of the problems they have had internally is why Jason left. Lars and James were being too controlling and were on some kind of power trip.

The new St. Anger album isn't their best effort but you have to look at it as being something new and different. If a band played the same old stuff all the time you would get bored real fast. They didn't have a bass player at the time of recording so Bob Rock sat in. I think the whole band chemistry just wasn't there for this album. I will look forward to the next release with the new bassman Rob. I would rather Jason come back in but that more than likely will not happen.

I think "Some Kind of Monster" will be well worth watching.

I will be catching the show with Godsmack this Thursday, I will let you know how it is. Oh, and on the whole capitalist thing... Look at what Gene Simmons is doing with KISS! Whens the last time they put out a new album that wasn't a greatest hits package....lol I mean how many times can you release a greatest hits cd? Instead he's marketing KISS toilet paper, dolls, chip&dip bowls...you name it... that's capitalism, and that sucks!

----------------

On 4/26/2004 5:56:22 PM Joe Shmoe wrote:

Well, I somewhat agree and dis-agree with RFINCO. To say that Metallica sold out and is exploiting their fans is a little harsh. To quote Jason Newstead on the whole sell out issue "yea ,we sell out.... every show every night!" I am still a fan and I don't feel that neither is true. I do agree however that Lars's ego is getting way out of hand. Part of the problems they have had internally is why Jason left. Lars and James were being too controlling and were on some kind of power trip.

Oh, and on the whole capitalist thing... Look at what Gene Simmons is doing with KISS! Whens the last time they put out a new album that wasn't a greatest hits package....lol I mean how many times can you release a greatest hits cd? Instead he's marketing KISS toilet paper, dolls, chip&dip bowls...you name it... that's capitalism, and that sucks!

----------------

I never said that others weren't part of the whole capitalist regime, and yes--KISS is guilty of this in spades! BUT!! Kiss never sued their own fans for haveing bootlegs and such. Metallica became in their age EVERYTHING they despised about the industry when they first started and did things "their way".

Honestly, they need to hang it up--their new work is VERY weak, James can't hit the notes anymore, Lars is off time most of the sets...They peaked with the "black" album, which was really not that good anyway, in compairision to say MASTER OF PUPPETS or AND JUSTICE...

I also knew someone was going to use that tired quote from Jason about "selling out", but the truth of it is that they did, they forgot what they were playing for in the first place.

I'm not saying that musicians shouldn't make money, or anything like that, but music is essentially, and a pro level a type of job, and I don't think Metallica is performing to the best of their abbilities. What they give out isn't half as good as what they use to produce. Everyone else in the country gets laid off when this phenomena happens, but...not metallica.

I use to be a fan, I've seen them about 6 times now live, and each time they lost more and more energy in the set. I think their old work is absolutely spectacular, and to some degree untouchable, but their new stuff seems formulaic and trite.

I have no problem with people likeing them, because-to each their own. I have problem with people giving them this massive recongnition about how they did it their way, and never gave in and all that hero, champ, playing for the love of playing, BS that is cast upon them, when they were the primary force behind going after their own fans legally, something that "young" metallica would have definately never done.

I think they are too wrapped up in being rock stars, and not enough in being musicians.

Let's face it, metallica pulled a full 180 ever since the black album. And I am not talking just music, but attitude. If they ever said 'go f@ck yourself', it was probably in the earlier 80's mind you. After hearing about the whole napster deal- I just lost respect for lars and company. Yeah, their music style now is different, and is more conforming then ever. But hey, they just want to fit in with all the young alt-metal bands out there:) I think their stuff post-black album is ok, but I would stick an old ride the lightning cd in my player anyday:) Anways, I can't dislike this band no matter how hard I try. I was raised on it, got a ride the lightning tape from my older sister when I was 6. I'm seeing them in Madison this sunday, and last I checked they havent been playing many songs from load and up, yay! Let's see if I can forget all the nonsense and just imagine cliff burton playing bass. That would bring me to my happy place.

The latest tour ( St Anger ) with " godsmack " was a great show in my opinion.

Metallica used a round or block stage that sat in the center of the pavillion there spaeakers were all hung overhead as well as several large screens for the folks in the nosebleed seats to get a better view.

The concert was incredibly ear splitting and the normal high energy you would expect from this aging group. I play a bit of guitar myself so knowing full well how difficult writing music can be i never condem any band at this level. Finding fresh material thats going to sit well with all fans must be near impossible a feat .

Like i mentioned before , read the article in guitar worlds june addition or wait for the movie. I think most or all your questions will be resolve by one or the other.

One must remember that Metallica got to be quite famous in the early 80s due to fans bootlegging their concerts. I have a copy of a copy of a copy of a show done in SanFransico '82 with Dave Mustaine on lead vocals and lead guitar and he absolutely SHREDS. Lars was kicking some sort of a 3 piece drum kit and James was pre-pubescently singing backup. Some very raw enjoyable stuff there. I think Dave made the band as good as it was ever going to get (he wrote most of Kill em All and part of Ride the lightning) and its been downhill in the 20 years since. I find it disgutsting that Metallica are going after the same type of fans that made them famous years ago. The Grateful Dead had an open recording policy, never really sold studio albums per se, and they consistently made more money than anybody for decades. I think Metallica's "go f*ck yourself" attitued applies more towards the fans who refuse to buy or listen their schwag anymore.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Wow, I'd like to get a copy of that! I have personally only heard the no life til leather demo's, and a couple of other takes of hit the lights (with diff. bassists). On the demo's from '82 it was dave mustaine on lead guitar and hetfield on prepubescent vocals. I was never aware that mustaine did vocals, very interesting! Yep- he did co-write over half of the songs on kill em all, as well as ride the lightning. I can only hold him responsible for sending metallica in the direction they were going for those two perfect albums:) I wonder what had happened if mustaine was still with them.... in an alternate universe... that would mean no rust in peace or countdown to extinction :(

personally, I actually prefer the "middle period" of metallica, i.e. my fav. being Master of Puppets. "Ride" is a great album, but it is a little slower, and darker than Master, although it's still great. In fact Master and Ride are two of the best metal albums ever.

I never cared for Mustaine or his voice, and megadeath always left me feeling "eh". I guess i don't like the "higher pitch" stuff, but the growelly, gravelly voice is what I really enjoy, which at the time is what most WEREN'T doing...Ride the Lightning has a lot more of the higher pitched stuff than Master..I mean, compare "Battery" and its gruff, deep vocals to like, "trapped under Ice"....

Kill em' all is a bit too speed-metal for me as well, but again--a great album none the less.

those two albums definitely show Mustaine's hand in there...

They actually sell KISS coffins.

Frankly I never saw what the big deal was with KISS. Basically Foghat with makeup.

I saw Metalica on the "Black Alblum" tour, and they did put on one hell of a show, and the crowd was about as psyched as a crowd could be without rioting. Unfortunately, Alice In Chains (who I really went to see) Layne Staley O.D.ed (big surprise) a couple days before the show, so I didn't get to see them. Candlebox played (boring) as did Rob Halford's Fight (eh) and the Suicidal Tendencies, who totally ruined my image of this band. Psycho Mikeo, who was probably 30 at the time, just couldn't pull off the teen-angst stuff anymore.

----------------

I will be catching the show with Godsmack this Thursday, I will let you know how it is. Oh, and on the whole capitalist thing... Look at what Gene Simmons is doing with KISS! Whens the last time they put out a new album that wasn't a greatest hits package....lol I mean how many times can you release a greatest hits cd? Instead he's marketing KISS toilet paper, dolls, chip&dip bowls...you name it... that's capitalism, and that sucks!

----------------

I guess we just will agree to dis-agree? lol....

I caught the show here in Grand Rapids last night, and it was excellent! They played tunes I haven't heard live in quite a while.. played alot from And Justice For All, and even Holier Than Thou from the black album. I thought the show was just awesome... they had tons of energy, wasn't a dull moment in the show. Godsmack was also incredible... this will go down as one of the best shows I have seen.

And they are offering downloads of every show they play at Metallica.com ... of course going back to what RFINCO stated... you will have to pay 9.95 or something BUT... I don't have a problem with that for a perfect sound board recording. Anyway... to each his own ...

Metallica Schmetalica... Bleh! The only album I ever liked was the black album and the radio stations beat that into the groud via overplaying 8 years ago...

If I never heard another metallica song again, I'd never miss them. I'd rather listen to Barny the puple Dinsour. 14.gif

Now, if you will all excuse me, I'm going to go find a safe hiding place to avoid all the bullits that are about to come flying my way. 11.gif9.gif

Yup m00n !! i remember when i was 4 years old as well .

Go back to your bay city rollers and leave the music to the men .

You could hardly hear metal on those RF-7's anyway .

What did you HT guys do before there was HT ? bet you rocked to AM radio in your old dodge .

Did i leave anything out ?

Relax rick !! lol I'm just kidding 2.gif everyones entitled to there opinion.

I am dying to see this film. Metallica still rulez. They are making up in spades over that napster ****. You buy st. anger you get a dvd which about the best garage **** you'll ever see. Plus give you access to download tunes from their vault which is amazing! Plus they offer so much and give so much back to their fans unlike any other i know off. Most people who put them down are band wagoners anyways. Getty up out of here I say. St. Anger is downright brutal and is brilliant. Almost a new kind of music. PUt together thrash,speed,punk,garage and master it to a ****ty recording that everyone is doing now adays and they get **** for doing it right!. No remorse to the posers who think different. As for me its motorbreath baby the only way i know it. Honesty is the best policy and Metallica is the best.

Alrighty... there's someone on the same track as me LOL.

I went and seen the show last week and DAMN!....that was one hell of a show. That show ranks up in the top few of concerts I have ever been to! Godsmack was just sick, I couldn't believe the drum solo they did... dual drum sets, I was just in awe the whole time... I hope they put out a DVD of the show... it was too cool!

The godsmack thing is good (even though they stole the name from an Alice In Chains song). but having seen them many times they are getting pretty big for their britches. I've seen metallica many times as well all for free and sometimes even on the stage and the put on a great-good show.But I hear better music on the metal channel on comcast. lars is f***ing joke all the way around ! if you want to hear good drummers most death metal drummers run circles around the fool.Trust me i've heard seen and recorded just as good or MUCH better. as for the film havent herd aboutnd dont care to. If someone want metallica bootles or picture disks i have a few id sell....Like right now SOUNDGARDEN is playing. Talk about a good drummer, plus song writing & putting on a real show not a performance no question SOUNDGARDEN smokes metallica........................