Some sales figures LP, CD, SACD, DVD-A

Parrot

Hardly suprising but it is encouraging to see that LPs are still available and will likely continue to retain a small market share. Interestingly I have been seeing more new LPs in the bookstores etc. in the past year or so than I had for a number of years.

It's a rather pathetic showing by DVD-A and SACD, isn't it? It seems most audiophiles are too conservative to embrace new technology, and the general public just doesn't care. They would appear to be quite satisfied with CD and MP3's. It'd be a real shame if DVD-A and SACD both wither on the vine and are eventully terminated. They may be the last chance for surround music for another generation. I guess that would make strike two...batter up?

Super Audio CD Unit Shipments:

2003 - 1.3 Million copies and $26.3 Million in dollar value

Vinyl LP Unit Shipments

2003 - 1.5 Million copies and $21.7 Million in dollar value

I'm sitting here trying to figure out whether or not I should be surprised by the close horse race between old technology and the newest technology.

At the very least I'm glad to see SACD sales more than 3x that of DVD-A. IMO it's the better format in terms of future compatibility & sound quality. Someone must be 'listening'. I sure wouldn't want SACD to be the new BetaMax.

Kinda raises more questions than it answers. I only scanned the thing but I wonder if vinyl sales includes 2nd hand vinyl. If so then I am amazed it is as small as that. Further questions include:

1. Is this just for the US?

2. What sources of music were measured - stores, manufacturers? Which ones?

3. For the section "The consumer phone survey also asks the survey participants what formats they purchased in. The 8 format choices came in as follows:" Did they also question how many of each were bought? I wonder if vinyl buyers buy more than Cd buyers - for example.

4. The DVDa titles bought seems to outstripe the SACD titles - for less units out there. Even the survery mentions the possibility that respondents confused DVDa with DVD video music. Needs investigating.

Many more questions but you get the idea..

----------------

Vinyl LP Unit Shipments

----------------

i'm rather surprised that the vinyl sales are that low..... since so many "audiophiles" feel that vinyl is so superior to anything digital....

1.gif

----------------

On 5/3/2004 8:06:11 AM minn_male42 wrote:

----------------

Vinyl LP Unit Shipments

----------------

i'm rather surprised that the vinyl sales are that low..... since so many "audiophiles" feel that vinyl is so superior to anything digital....

1.gif

----------------

Re-reading the article it seems that they are only talking about new vinyl sales - not 2nd hand. I would imagine 2nd hand sales out number new sales by 10 to 1 or more, possibly much more - but that is entirely a guess..

----------------

----------------

Vinyl LP Unit Shipments

----------------

1.gif

----------------

At this stage, I wonder, if there is any correlation between the "audiophiles" and the SACD/Vinyl ratio. I for one did not buy any new CD's last year, only SACD's and Vinyl at probably a one to one ratio.

For the record, I did buy CD's but they were used.

----------------

----------------

Vinyl LP Unit Shipments

----------------

1.gif

----------------

That's just plain SILLY. If every title I bought were AVAILABLE on LP I would buy in that format, but less than 1% of the new music I buy is pressed on LP--my hand has been FORCED to buy CDs!

This shows me that the other formats dont really exist. 27 million in sales in one year, come on, that is a few home sales. Over 1 billion lost in CD sales in the last three years, now that is the story. Vinyl sales down 20% in three years, that is a story.2.gif

I went to the local mall music store yesterday to find some SACD/DVDa titles. The girl behind the counter with the bolts in her face and tongue asked if she could help me and I told her what I wanted. I got quite an empty stare -- then she pointed me to the recordable -R media section. So much for the 'awareness' the article refers to.I finally found a DVDa section but no SACD. I went to a few other "big" stores around town and saw no records, 99.999999999% CD, and the occasional 5.1 media. I doubt I will be shopping out in the real world any time soon.

A quick trip to a Virgin Records mega store shows the current problem with SACD and DVD-A; thousands of CD titles and a few dozen SACD and DVD-A selections on a single shared display rack.

It would be interesting to survey forum members' recent purchasing patterns. For me in the past 60 days:

DVD-A 3 titles

SACD 3 titles

CD 2 titles

Vinyl (new) 1 title

Vinyl (used) 12 titles

The vinyl numbers just can't be right. There are WAY too many titles without trackable upc codes, etc. that are sold without ever being logged as a vinyl sale. I'm sure there aren't many "indie" SACD's and DVD-A's out there lacking barcodes.

----------------

On 5/3/2004 6:52:45 PM synthfreek wrote:

The vinyl numbers just can't be right. There are WAY too many titles without trackable upc codes, etc. that are sold without ever being logged as a vinyl sale. I'm sure there aren't many "indie" SACD's and DVD-A's out there lacking barcodes.

----------------

LOL...

you don't want to believe the published figures so you say they can't be right...... good logic there!.... name any major retailer that sells vinyl new that doesn't use barcodes to back up your claim..... not going to happen....

face it guys.... vinyl lovers are a small minority and growing smaller....

as allan said above...he would buy more titles on vinyl but they are not released on vinyl....

At Tower Records, they have many more new lps for sale then SACD and DVD-A combined. I scour both the SACDs and LPs (always LPs first). I'm always alone though. Seems I'm the only one at the store that's looking for either.

In the past 6 months, I've bought about 40 SACDs, 10 CDs and about 500 or more LPs, 95% of which are used.

I have said before that there are 16 stores selling vinyl within 30 minutes of either my home or my office. Of these only 3 are selling new records - you do the math....

It is interesting that vinyl seems to be the growth industry over here in comparison to the other formats. Every audio store now offers one or more makes of TT and according to the distributor of Project - business has never been so brisk.

SACD on the other hand is as hard to find as hen's teeth and DVDa rarer than that. Virgin have about 10 DVDa titles and I know of 3 shops with SACD - all with less stock than I have (70 disks).

God knows what is really going on here, but however you dress it up I am happy picking up classical records at up to 3 euro per item.

Long may this continue....

Helpful to SACD will be future new releases in SACD only or Hybrid formats. Diana Krall's newest album is available in SACD, but most places I've checked show that it is back-ordered or a special or der item. That, of course, is NOT helpful.