OOEY- KERBLOOEY @#$!%& PROJECTOR!!!!!!

picky

15.gif15.gif15.gif Our Sharp DLP Projector died on Saturday! 14.gif

It's just over a year old and the lamp only has about 410 hours on it. It's a Sharp XV-Z9000U and I believe the unit has a 3-year warranty, but the $500 lamp that is supposed to last 2,000 hours has only a 90-day warranty. I am having a technician come out this week to examine it. There is a possibility that it is either the lamp or the DLP chip itself.

Symptoms:

About 4 days previous, the picture quality began to diminish and the darker regions of the screen seemed to gradually get darker. There just seemed to be "something" missing that was there before. Despite our efforts to recalibrate the projector with our Audio Video Essentials DVD on Friday night, Saturday when we turned the projector on, the images were so dark they were unwatchable! The lamp still illuminates, but at a seemingly diminished level. So I don;t know it's the bulb. or the mirror system on the DLP chip causein gthe problem.

And, the timing sucks, too as our Klipsch Forum friend from Thunder Bay, Ontario (Michael Hurd) is coming all of the way down here (15-hours) with his girlfriend this-coming Friday, just to meet us and see your theater. And, now, it dosen't work! 15.gif

Does anybody out there such as AVMAN have any idea what may have caused this? The picture was flawless prior to last Tuesday. DANG-IT!!!7.gif

-Picky

Sorry to hear about your problem, but if I'm not mistaken that does sound about like a build going out to me. I could be way mistaken but if my memory serves me correct, thats what I can expect from my Infocus. Replacment builds are not cheap are they. 5.gif

First off you should go back and kick that light bulb salesman in the balls , secondly your first mistake was a DLP over a CRT .

LCD and DLP are little more then poor folks theater front projectors , CRT's still rule the front projection kingdom , there black levels are still leaps and bounds above a DLP .

Pick yourself up a case of bulbs and once there all burnt out then figure out how much money you just spent compared to a decent USED CRT .

Really don't mean to burst your bubble but DLP's belong in bars and board rooms not HT . For the price of a DLP thats decent enough compared to a used CRT , you could throw in a nice SUV .

For a USED CRT that sold for $50,000.00 5 years ago , can be had for $4000.00 to $7000.00 today !!!!!!!!! They will still blow the doors off those new $35000.00 sharp DLP's on the market today .

I'll give full credit to those " LIGHT BULB " salesman !! they sure sucked in a lot of uninformed people .

I resent that loaded tunes, I have a DLP and love mine. I like to think of it as MORE than a poor mans projector and it definitly belongs in other places than bars. Looks great and peforms great. 11.gif

that, and the fact that CRT's are usually as big as a coffee table.

can't beat the size of LCD/DLP's...i can live with the black levels but don't like all the adjusting and tweaking a CRT needs on a routine basis.

i mean how can you go wrong spending 900-1200 on pj that will show a great picture...sure it isn't perfect, but i don't see that i will get my money's worth spending 7000 on a pj...

LOADED:

Yeah, that's EXACTLY what I was hoping for when I started this thread: A scolding and freaking lecture on CRT's! Thanks so-o much for your compassion and for your 25-cent hind-site! I hope I can return the favor some day. 7.gif "Uninformed"..my arse! You certainly are quick to make assumptions.

As for the rest of you, Thanks, guys. 12.gif

Is a tech actually coming to your home? If thats the case maybe you can make sure he is totally aware of all the symptoms today. This way he might be able to have some parts handy to fix the problem as soon as he walks in the door. Perhaps even ordering them ahead of time for next day delivery if it sounds like something they have seen these projectors have needed in the past. I was just thinking of you getting the show back on the road before Michael arrives. If you purchased the PJ locally maybe the dealer could supply a demo loaner for the day. Its just a thought.

BBB:

Now, THAT is exactly the kind of support I was hoping for! Thanks so much! 10.gif

Yes, the tech that is supposed to call me this morning. He is from the store I bought my projector from. As it turns out, he lives in the same city as I do. Since the store he works for is across town in Royal Oak, he'll be setting up to come to our house first, before he goes into work for the day. The only issue is that I have discovered that no one that I know of in the Detroit area stocks projector lamps because they are so costly. But, I can have one ordered and sent to the house using 2nd day air. It would then arrive here in time to show Michael our system.

One thing, it hasn't been determined yet that the lamp is the actually problem, so he may need to replace some other component. And, yes, I will take your advice and give the tech all of the details in hopes that he may have the part on-hand. Your idea of requesting a loaner (if needed) is excellent! Thanks, BBB!

Picky-picky,

I feel for ya!! I have had things quit working on me right before someone's coming over and it can be very frustrating. Let us know how it turns out.

John- Who thinks you know what it feels like to get kicked in the balls by a fellow forum member.

lancestorm & yromj:

No problem: I will let you know! Thanks, both of you!

Some good news this morning: The Sharp Authorized repair facility near my house (a 10-minute drive), which was closed over the weekend, does have my projector's lamp in stock and it is priced about $100-less that the web sites are selling it for. BONUS!! They are holding it for me and I will be picking it up at lunch. The tech that works there said that, based on the symptoms I am describing, that it does sound like bulb-failure. He went on to say that the DLP chips rarely go out and he didn't think the chip was the problem.

Hey, if the lamp is all that was wrong, I'll save myself the $50 bucks the technician wanted to look that the projector. Another Bonus!! He never did call this morning, either. As they say, "If you snooze, you loose!" We could be back up and running tonight! 9.gif

hey picky!

sorry to chime-in so late.

naturally, if it is the bulb,it is a quick,easy,and relatively inexpensive fix.

if i were 'troubleshooting',i would suspect the lamp first and go from there.

sorry i can't be more specific,but i hope it works out well.

LOADEDTUNES-

yeah, i always wanted a Volkswagen Beetle upside-down on my ceiling.

avman.

To each his own , like my grandpappy use to say " you got to piss with the c--- you got " . Both front projectors have there place , if DLP or LCD works for you then great , glad to hear your happy .

But don't compare apples to oranges . CRT front projectors are in a class by themselves ( AVMAN : I have a BARCO 1208s CRT it's no where near the size of a bettle and i will defy you to find a DLP under $30,000.00 that will come even remotly close to its picture quality )

http://www.monroe.net/~alye/palmeCRt.pdf

This is likly some of the best reading for anyone wanting a uplift on projectors , Curt palme is one of the brightest guys around when it comes to projectors.

DLP and LCD started out life as graphic and data grade projectors marketed towards the commercial applications , somehow they just evolved into the HT realm . Likly because of their price point , now every other computer manufacture is starting to produce these extremly cheap projectors " MEANT " to be used for data and graphic presentation. BUT !!!! i'll bet you dimes to dollars they will eventually end up in someones basement projecting movies.

Just about everyone ( computer manufactures ) is making these DLP's now, DELL comes to mind , HP comes to mind . etc etc etc

Not to say the technoligy is not there , it is !! and it's getting better all the time . But right now as of today , the CRT is still the king just like the klipschorn stomps the RF7 , both are great speakers but one can outshine the other in " CERTIAN " areas .

I'll give the DLP another 5 or so years , then i'll bet they will be even par with the CRT ( The black levels really need to improve ).

Loaded might have had the right idea but poor presentation

----------------

On 5/3/2004 10:03:43 AM avman wrote:

LOADEDTUNES-

yeah, i always wanted a Volkswagen Beetle upside-down on my ceiling.

avman.
----------------

LOL-I like the VW Beetle comment. They are about that size, aren't they?!

Picky-If it turns out that it is not the bulb and you need to get a quick short-term replacement, I believe that I still have a 10-day free trial form that will provide you with an Infocus X1 projector with return shipping included... (No questions, no hassles, etc) By the way, you may want to raise a bit of a fuss about the short lifespan of that bulb.

David

----------------

On 5/3/2004 10:30:27 AM BackBurner wrote:

To each his own , like my grandpappy use to say " you got to piss with the c--- you got " . Both front projectors have there place , if DLP or LCD works for you then great , glad to hear your happy .

But don't compare apples to oranges . CRT front projectors are in a class by themselves ( AVMAN : I have a BARCO 1208s CRT it's no where near the size of a bettle and i will defy you to find a DLP under $30,000.00 that will come even remotly close to its picture quality )

This is likly some of the best reading for anyone wanting a uplift on projectors , Curt palme is one of the brightest guys around when it comes to projectors.

DLP and LCD started out life as graphic and data grade projectors marketed towards the commercial applications , somehow they just evolved into the HT realm . Likly because of their price point , now every other computer manufacture is starting to produce these extremly cheap projectors " MEANT " to be used for data and graphic presentation. BUT !!!! i'll bet you dimes to dollars they will eventually end up in someones basement projecting movies.

Just about everyone ( computer manufactures ) is making these DLP's now, DELL comes to mind , HP comes to mind . etc etc etc

Not to say the technoligy is not there , it is !! and it's getting better all the time . But right now as of today , the CRT is still the king just like the klipschorn stomps the RF7 , both are great speakers but one can outshine the other in " CERTIAN " areas .

I'll give the DLP another 5 or so years , then i'll bet they will be even par with the CRT ( The black levels really need to improve ).

Loaded might have had the right idea but poor presentation

----------------

Backburner-

i am glad you like your CRT, and i'm happy for you that it isn't as big as a VW.

i am WELL AWARE that CRT-pj's make an excellent picture when properly setup,and periodically tweaked.

as far as CRT being the 'epitome' of projector picture quality,i and others who have seen sony's SXRD (Silicon X-tal(crystal)Reflective Display) say...'the king is dead,long live the new king'

full retail-$25,000

btw-

i am very happy w/my lcd (made specifically for HOME-THEATER) projector.

avman.

Gosh! Based on the two testimonies from CRT-centric owners thus far, if I were to use their same sort of logic, it's beginning to seem that if I had gone ahead and purchased one of the dimly-lit CRT displays I had researched prior to buying my $8,000 DLP projector, I would have immediately become pigeon-holed into an affiliation with a seemingly caustic, sanctimonious brethren that are un-caring enough to fling mud at other forum members' misfortunes for the sake of their own egos. Gee, I guess I made a good purchase after all! Thanks for the confirmation!

And to think, until now, I hadn't even made a comparison here of what I thought about CRTs. Nor have I whined about my decision to buy a DLP. If you must know, I have no major issue with CRTs themselves, nor if I did would I vent about it to the point of trying to make another member feel bad about their purchase decision by attempting to insult them as you have. But, apparently it's some of the owners of CRTs I must have an issue with, rather than CRTs themselves? Everyone is welcome to their opinion but, conduct such as this gives forums a bad name.

NEWSFLASH: RUNCO is not a computer manufacturer! They now offer nine different models of DLP projectors of their own! I guess that indicates they are not wearing blinders.

For the rest of you good members who are still interested, thanks for your support. I got the lamp at lunch and I'll report back what transpires. After all, isn't THAT the real purpose of such a forum as this?

Dude !! your the one sporting for a fight, no need to get all pissy because someone else doesnt play in your sand box.

Heres a news flash righ back at you " RUNCO " is not a manufature period , as far as that point goes. They out source from Barco and NEC and rebrand there products .

I didnt say your DLP was garbage ( but thats what you want to hear so you can continue this pissing contest ) all i said was the CRT are still ahead of the DLP as far as picture quality. Thats it !!!!

That being said , there is no way under any condition that a entry level DLP could compete with a $ 90,000.00 9" CRT with a another 20 or 30k worth of quad / scaler . The 2 don't compare , CRT's have been around for decades and refined to death . DLP's are up and coming , new kid on the block so to speak and they will continue to improve with time.

If you want to throw around " RUNCO'S " name then why don't you go to there web page and see for yourself which technoligy they still think is superior .

Hence the " APPLES TO ORANGES " phase.

If you want to compare a runco dtv 992 or 993 7" crt to todays entry level DLP's , then i would take the DLP . Price point being the same , but were not talking price point here !! Were just spitting at a generalization for the sake of argument .

If this would have been my original thread i would have just ignored loadeds post and moved on instead of baiting more banter . I am sorry if i hurt your sensitive feelings by pointing at some simple facts .