Klipsch vs. Axiom

ajcastaneda

I am in the middle of a huge dilemma. As you can see from my profile below, these are the Klipsch speakers I plan on buying. However, how do these compare with Axioms? I was looking at the M80's, which, according to one of their experts has been tested to both 700 watts and 1200 watts peak without a problem. These are 4 ohm speakers. The Axiom board is obviously pro-Axiom and I expect the same for Klipsch here. I had the Synergy System 6 before this and was severely disappointed in its performance (especially the center and sub, yuck). Would the horns be as harsh as the Axiom fans are saying since I'm driving them with a Marantz receiver instead of something brighter like a Yammy?

The RF-7's are also almost twice as heavy, and much more beautiful. It's not a three-way like the Axioms but I've heard good things about both. What's the consensus between all of you about these RF-7's vs. the competition, especially Axioms? I would end up paying almost a thousand more.

And don't even get me started on a PB-2 Plus vs. an RSW-15....

I'm going through a similar situation. I have the RF-3II's and wanted to try Axiom's m60ti's but was afraid of paying alot for return shipping if I didnt like them. I decided I would get the smaller m22ti's and if I liked them I would exchange them for the m60's. Comparing them over the weekend with the matching vp150 center they were very good for the price. Smooth, detailed with nice build quality. But comparing them directly against my RF-3's they sounded a bit muted especially on vocals. For movies they had good clarity but seemed to lack a bit of the impact the RF-3's had. I know it wasnt a fair comparison but a compromise considering the cost of shipping the large m60's back to Axiom would of cost if I went that route. I've read alot where the m60 and m80's sound very similar to the B&W 703. Judging from the m22's I tend to believe that. I'm convinced though after comparing a few different speakers in my home that I just have an ear for Klipsch. I would still like to compare the m60 against my RF-3II's though.

Klipsch. I currently own a pair of Axiom QS-8s, their flagship rear surround, and run them with part of my upstairs system. Very nice speakers and incredible for movies. Overall, for music, I have found Klipschs are better (IF AND ONLY IF) they are paired up with the right amplification. I must honestly admit that I have not heard M80s, and therefore, cannot provide a direct comparison between those and my RF-7s. I can only give general feedback based on the Axioms I own and the current and prior Klipsch I have owned. That being said, your proposed power system sounds like you would get very nice sound out of your RF-7s.

Good luck.

Carl.

I have not done a direct comparison, but from what I remember hearing both at different times, the Axiom's and Klipsch have very different sound (meaning, you will likely prefer one over the other - should be clear if you can compare them). If you can demo sets at home, that's your best option. If not, take a CD you know to both locations, flatten the processors (0 treble and bass adjustments) and listen to them back-to-back. This isn't as good as hearing the speakers with your amp, in your room, but it's a good second option.

Other speaker makers will try to tell you the Klipsch are too bright. That's not true, especially on the RF-7's. They are exceptionally clear - not bright. But they do reveal your electronics and are very sensitive speakers - you feed them well and they sing. You feed them crap and you get crap back.

You already have the RF-7s. I have the KG 5.5s. I read somewhere on another thread that someone owns both, and that the sound between the RF-7s and KG 5.5s are very very close to eachother. If that's the case, keep the RF-7s.

I'm sitting here listening to Norah Jones' new CD, and it sounds like she's standing right here in front of me. Seriously, I haven't heard anything this convincing in a long time, or in my listening room for that matter!

It's taken me 20 minutes to get this far in my post because I keep stopping and closing my eyes to listen to her voice and the music. I'm still running these fullrange, not using my subs, and everything is just falling right in place as it should.

Anyway, to get back to the topic, keep your Klipsch!!! You'll be very hard pressed to find anything to beat these for the money! 2.gif

Holly crap-balls!!!! I gotta go, Dolly Parton just showed up!!! 6.gif

klipsch and axiom sound very different. i own both the klipsch and the axioms - seeing as i only own the synergy.. i prefer my m22s for music. however, i think that few speakers out there can beat klipsch dynamics in HT.

i have listened to the rb-35 series bookshelf - and i find that my m22s are more transparent and provide a better overall soundstage. the m22s give it a deeper soundstage, but the rb35s give a slightly wider soundstage. also, the m22s were far more detailed (midrange) than the rb-35.. wow.. the small nuances were clear and crisp! overall, i preferred the m22s over the klipsch bookshelf, but this isnt to say that the rb-35s are bad... they are good, but just not in this comparo... my .02.

i havent heard the larger m60s or the m80s - so i cannot comment on that.

if u have the breathing room in your ht room, go for the RF-7 - u cannot go wrong unless u were willing to spend a lot more.

just to throw another suggestion in the mix - have you gone to www.av123.com ? these guys sell the onix rockets and they are pretty damm good! with your rf-7 budget, u can also go all out of over there... rockets 750s and such. go post on their forum and see what they think.

with all this money u are about to invest, u want to make sure that u are making the right choice, so post in as many forums as possible and wait a little - patience is a virtue... and good things come to those who wait. shop around and good luck in your venture!

9.gif

Joey

Hello Fellow Posters:

My new home will have a movie theatre room that will be strictly dedicated to home movies...TV.

In your honest opinion what do Axiom loudspeakers sound like. In my years of listening to loudspeakers they aren't supposed to sound like anything except what music you push through them.

There used to be a saying...oh those speakers are West Coast sound...New England sound...etc.

Are the Axiom's clear...precise...accurate...or do they tend to color the sound?

Being 4 ohms they can handle a lot of power. Yet, when A/B along side Klipsch not very many speakers can hold a candle to Father Klipschs' design.

There is a German loudspeaker touted by Stereophile that is the new horn design for the 21st century.

I heard them next to KHorns and the sound was close...yet no cigar to Klipsch.

No loudspeaker made can make you feel you are live. Klipsch comes the absolutely closed to the live performance. Then again, with Klipsch loudspeakers Heritage Series you are there. LOL!

Your thoughts would be appreciated on the Axioms. I spoke with the head engineer at Axiom and he said Klipsch is a colored sounding loudspeaker. When he said that I had doubts about Axiom.

As, he was favoring his firm and not being honest and open to all comers. If you don't have a kind word for your fellow competitors you aren't being honest and level headed. Nuff said! Maybe I just answered my own question.

Best,

Craig

Broadcast standard equipment. Too numerous to mention.

the axioms are very clear and transparent - very little coloring if any - of course a speaker with a tangible cabinet will ALWAYS color the sound but the degree of color is what separates the great speakers from the good and the bad.

the speakers are very neutral and detailed... the midrange is very present - much more than any speaker i have heard. the only thing that comes close are the paradigm reference 20s or 40s. also, the rf-7 (if properly mated with a good receiver) has close to the midrange (but obviously has more authority).

the main thing i can tell u: details details details... they all come out with my m22s. soundstage is deep and wide - sometimes i feel as if sitting here infront of my computer - the sound "surrounds" me... yes, this is how wide the soundstage is!

i use these speakers for my pc - while my parents have the klipch in our ht.

for ht, i cannot stress how outstanding klipsch speakers are.... very dynamic, efficient, and just plain awesome.

music, my opinion leads me to prefer the axioms/paradigm references.

• Klipsch Employees

I would love to give you a Klipsch is better and this is why...but I cannot.

As far as I know we have not tested the Axiom line. ( at lest in the last 5 years) When we pick speakers to test next to Klipsch, we choose product that is in the same dollar range and with "close" specks. We choose the speakers that sale the best in that price range as well. Axiom has never made the cut. Now that is not to say that they are bad! From what I have been told, they build a fine loud speaker. I have never heard them. I agree with the suggestion that you get in front of each and choose the one you like the best. There is no other way.

In defence of the Axiom Engineer, to him, Klipsch may sound colored. Kind of the way I think the Bose line sound like clock radios.

Darren-

I will be feeding the front two mains 2 Marantz MA-700 THX Ultra 2 Monoblocks each. They will be bridged (600W to 8 ohms, who knows into 4 ohms). The remaining 5 will be powered using a Marantz MM9000 THX Ultra Amp (150W x 5 into 8 ohm).

Alfred

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darren wrote:

Other speaker makers will try to tell you the Klipsch are too bright. That's not true, especially on the RF-7's. They are exceptionally clear - not bright. But they do reveal your electronics and are very sensitive speakers - you feed them well and they sing. You feed them crap and you get crap back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darren is exactly right, and I think your equiptment will do quite well with Klipsch. Whoever was saying you needed a brighter source like a yammy is going in completely the wrong direction, in my opinion the warmer the better with these speakers. Like Darren said these are very revealing speakers and if you use bright equiptment thats what you get a bright sound, and people who call them bright has probably heard them in that type of setup to be honest. I have changed sources a few times with my KLF 20 and these were my experiences. I am using a Denon 3803(which works well) now which I thought sounded quite similar to the Marantz 7400, I think it was, when I auditioned them. Best of luck.

I have not heard Axiom but spent many hours listening to Paradigm speakers. The 40's 100's, 7.1 all matching with 600 watt subwoofer at a McIntosh dealer. The sound was great and very detailed. Definitely not colored. After all the listening I bought RF-5's and RCW -5 ceiling speakers for the rear.

The Paradigm took a lot of power and high volume to get all the sounds I wanted to hear. Every time they demoed them they cranked them up. Sure they sounded great until you played them at normal listening levels. At the lower levels thwey sounded a bit flat, just had no kcik. Put in a movie, get out your digital rat shack meter and see how well klipsch sound at lower levels. No comparison.

Any other opinions?