Klipschorn maximum peak output

cwm

The spec. for maximum output on the Khorn is 121db at a meter, this translates to 50 watts. The speaker can handle short duration peaks considerably higher than this. Is there any compression of the audio output on short duration peaks in excess of this power with this beast?? TIA..

Mmm, 50 watts? Maybe, but with my walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossovers, and the superlative Pass X250 concrete monster amplifier, which puts out 75-watts of Class A power, the needles never left the Class A zone before it was too loud for us to tolerate, I calculate that real world consumption in my room is about 38-watts to reach 121dB level. 2.gif

I am not sure but my La Scala's pushing 100+ db in our room make pretty uncomfortable for us. I could not imagine hearing a set of K-Horn's delivering their absolute maximum. While I am sure it would be pure sound it would also be painfulto me.

Late model Heritage is rated at 121 dB; older ones were 124 dB. The newer ones have slightly less efficient drivers. I believe the newer ratings are more accurate in typical rooms and also account for power compression.

Power compression happens when the mechanical limits of the driver are approached. Like a spring, or rubber band, stretched too far, the cone takes more force/mm of travel as it nears its limit of travel. thus, double the power nets less than 3 more dB.

I had/have no intention of ever approaching these levels, this was more academic curiosity. I'll have to speculate that at some instantaneous peak power of short duration the speakers might compress but for the big horns this point will be at slightly above the threshold of pain for most people!!

Colin:

10log(base ten)*50w/1w =17db=50x=50w. (17db increase = 121db) Of course this would be be a free field reading....Its going to be hellish loud in your room!! 38 watts ref. to 50 is not even audible......

----------------

On 5/4/2004 11:30:24 AM John Albright wrote:

Power compression happens when the mechanical limits of the driver are approached. Like a spring, or rubber band, stretched too far, the cone takes more force/mm of travel as it nears its limit of travel. thus, double the power nets less than 3 more dB.

-----------------

>>Power compression is not associated with mechanical limits. Power compression is the result of Ohmic heating of the voice coil resulting in an increase in the resistance. As the voice coil heats up the resistive part of the impedance increases.

I took some SPL readings in my listening room. It takes about 30 to 35 watts to get my khorns to 100db's at 8 feet from them. Of course this may be off quite a bit as It is taken "C" weighted and not knowing specific freq's the bass may bring it to a higher DB. How does one accurately measure the true SPL using a common meter such as the RS type? Or is this even possible? BTW a 100 DB measured this way is very loud or so it seems to me. No way is someone going to get 121 DBs with 50 watts as far as I can tell unless you stick your ear facing the speaker up close.

hoggy

"No way is someone going to get 121 DBs with 50 watts as far as I can tell unless you stick your ear facing the speaker up close."

hoggy

Look up the speaker specs. on this site and then do the math........(RS meter is unsuitable for any serious evaluation of sound levels.) The comment about thermal compression by Warren is interesting, it complies with what I've read also, although in some rare cases (other speakers) I think the mechanical limits are met before thermal compression sets in. What the hell, we all know the Khorns will drive most people out of the room (a BIG one!) long before any of these things occur!! I've heard a lot of high end HIFI out there but for whatever reason these brutes seem to provide more musical satisfaction---must be that sense of amazing dynamic and just loafing along at "life like" levels...........

When a driver is nearing it's limits both thermal and mechanical compression may occur. The result is the same; electrical power in has a decreasing amount of acoustic power out.

IME distortion from 1" throat drivers becomes a problem before compression does. The Klipsches are hi-output as most hi-fi speakers go but a speaker using large-format 1.4" or 2" throat drivers will usually sound much cleaner than a KHorn at very high levels.