HT - Classic or Modern?

Reelnostalgia

After years of bliss with stereo I'm taking the HT plunge. I just picked up a HK 8000 reciever and now I'm at the speaker question. I've always loved the sound of Classic Klipsch - Horn, Cornwall, Heresy but wondered how they would fit into a modern 5.1 to 7.1 system? Could, say Cornwalls or Fortes work as fronts and use newer Klipsch speakers for the rest or should I be looking at something newer like the Synergy or Reference line. I admit I like the look of the RF 7's but haven't heard that one yet. Any ideas?

Anything from Klipsch will work and sound great -- but don't mix and match -- as that's a recipe for disaster with HT.

You love the old stuff, now go listen to the new and then make a decision. Many here base their HT around Klipschorns, LaScalas, Cornwalls, Chorus', Fortes, and even the Quartets. If you want to go that route -- buying used is the best bet if you're on a tight budget. If you're on a tight budget and love going into debt, you can buy new like I did.

Truthfully, I've never heard a complete Heritage HT system. The closest thing would be the Legend series and from what you guys say here in the forums, they don't really quite match the true Heritage sound. I've been completely impressed with the Reference series. Obviously why I chose that route. Just wish there was someone locally with a Heritage system to feel what all the vibe is about.

For my two cents, I would assume that you are going to be a very happy man going with any line of Klipsch. Let us know what you decide on ...

Well I have been leaning to two brands and models. The Klipsch Reference RF 7 or Paradigm Studio 100. But like I already mentioned the Classic Klipsch always caught me eye (ear). eBay has a pair of Forte's in my area (Orlando)for local delivery only. I think I might look into those since I've never heard the Forte's before. I'm hoping they sound similar to the Cornwalls with I'm sure a not as strong a bottom end.

The classics are great (really great) for music, no question, but I think you'll get more out of the Reference series for Home Theater (more dynamic range, higher wattage handling - which is needed with the big range in DVDs, explosions and such...). If you're considering Reference (especially Ref 7's you mentioned), then you're likely beyond the Synergy line.

If you through in a challenging DVD and listen to it with good electronics and the Ref 7 set up, I think you'll be very impressed.

I guess I should have mentioned one very important aspect. I noticed many of you have two complete systems. One for HT and one for music. Unfortunately, mine has to serve double duty.

So what you are saying that with the limited power handling ability of the Heritage line I should maybe look into the Reference series? I thought that the high efficiency of the Heritage speakers would compensate for the lower wattage capability.

I have to admit I have heard one and only one Heritage home theater. It was enough and I just sold all my reference stuff and I'm in the process of getting the heritage stuff.

This is just my opinion but I will say this in terms of the comments about "challenging DVDs", this is not an attack.

As far as power handling, something like say Klipschorns are over 100db efficient, they don't need to be able to handle very much power to produce huge sound. The most "challenging" thing on DVDs is the bass, and a good subwoofer like an SVS or RSW-15 will handle that in a way that will put a smile on your face.

The things that make movies best for me (just my ears, your mileage may vary) are:

1) Bass

2) the human voice

3) the musical score

#1 we have covered with excellent modern subwoofers. #2 and #3 well, the smooth sound of Heritage speakers, the accuracy and great mids of 3-way speakers(heritage) versus 2-way speakers (Reference) make it an easy choice for me. If you take a look at the pics on my web site you'll see I also have a thing for beautiful wood finishes.

All that being said, RF-7s and so forth are fantastic performers, and wouldn't be disappointing at all.

Not taken as an attack at all - the entire HT experience is about personal preference. If we all had the same preference, this forum would be all but useless.

What are you using for a center channel? I agree with you about the importance of human voice - the majority of HT sound comes from the center channel. I've never heard a better center than the RC-7, but I certainly haven't heard all the options. Just curious what you're using.

Thanks

Real N

The Fortes will sound simular to the Cornwalls and have the classic Heritage Horn midrange sound. The bass is not quite the same as the vented Cornwall. The Chorus is much closer match to the Cornwall.

The first generation speakers after the PWK originals we refer to the extended Heritage line. The Chorus, Forte and Quartet definetly have the Heritage sound. The Legend is close, but the Reference lack the classic Heritage midrange sound.

The Heritage line works great in HT and this is the place to learn how to set up a Heritage HT.

There are a lot of members here in Florida. I would bet you could audition a Heritage HT from a fellow member. Q-man lives in Florida. He has probably the best Heritage HT of anybody here. Look up his thread where he shows us how he built a K-horn center speaker!

Damon, I did not realize my system was your sole inspiration to dive into the Heritage realm. I am flattered.

JM

Did someone say Heritage HT?9.gif?9.gif?

If you love the Heritage sound, there's every reason to use it for the HT. I LOVE the Heritage line, and spent two years gathering the necessary speakers for the system (6 Cornwalls). Trust me, it was worth the trouble.

But first, some considerations:

1. What will you use for your center channel?? It all starts here. In HT, I consider the center as a third main, as up to 75% of multichannel sound is in the center channel, and is the sonic "anchor" of the system. Ideally, you would have 3 identical speakers across your front soundstage (like 3 Cornwalls, Fortes, Chorus, whatever Heritage is your choice). This allows for seamless "panning" across the front soundstage - and effortless dialogue that does not get lost in the action.

For some, the center channel is a big issue: Many have video displays that do not allow such a speaker as center. If this is a problem for you, we have many options and solutions available, depending on your desire to get it right, and your space and budget. Many forum members have constructed specialized centers to address this issue.

2. Room: What size room do you have, and what will be the general layout?? Is it feasible to have 5-7 Cornwalls/Fortes/Chorus in the room - or a combination of these?? For space issues (especially for rear effects), the Heresys present a good option too.

3. What type of material will you listen to: movies, multichannel music, or a mixture of the two?? This is an issue, especially when it comes to selection of the rear array.

4. I noticed that you said you really like the Cornwalls, and have inquired about Fortes as an option. As one who has been addicted to Cornwalls for many years, you may find that the Forte isn't quite the speaker the Cornwall is, especially in the "big/open/dynamic" feel of the Cornwall - ideal for HT. The Forte horn throat is smaller in diameter than the Cornwalls are - I feel that the Cornwall is more open and live - ideal attributes for HT.

You may enjoy the Forte, but I suggest you listen first. If you find the Cornwall to be preferable, but need smaller cabinets, think Chorus.

5. Timbre matching: Watch out when choosing the specific Heritage models, as they differ slightly in series (Cornwall I vs. II's - and there are 2 series of "II's", or Forte I vs. II, Chorus I vs. II, or Heresy I vs. II). The drivers and crossovers differ slightly, so when assembling the HT, you will want to have like series and models for optimum timbre matching.

6. Regarding Reference series: You may find that you like these too, and I highly recommend that you listen to these as well. However, do not allow any salesperson to tell you that any of the above possibilities with Heritage is impossible. This is Klipsch - where the impossible becomes possible. No limits 9.gif Use your dealer as a place to pick up your speakers - use US to get advice on how to build that "no limits" system. Had I relied on salespeople to get me the ultimate HT, I would not be experiencing "9.gifTHE JOY OF SIX9.gif" - Cornwalls in my HT, that is. That occurred because I found this forum.

7. It is recommended for owners of Heritage HT's to have a small stock of clean undergarments for your guests, as the performance has been known to cause guests to soil thier own.........

I just took took the step9.gif

KLF's out Heritage in - granted it's not the big league but you gotta start somewhere.

In one week I'll have 3 Heresys up front and a pair of Heresy II's for rear duty!

I'll post pictures once everything is in place!

Reference series speakers have more dynamic range and great power handling than Heritage speakers, C'mon Darren you can't be serious. While the Reference series are certainly nice speakers and maybe were designed for Home Theater you have no idea the detail that you are missing if you have all Heritage HT. I think you need to listen to one before you speak your opinion.

higher dynamic range? more power handling ability? wow, those statements arent even close to the truth, my cornerhorns are crystal clear at 120 db, i just happen to like my ears so i dont do that very often, as far as rf 7's, wernt they voiced after the cornwall?12.gif

It would be better to listen to movies in simple stereo with Khorns, or even mono with a single Khorn, than to have 5 channels or whatever with inferior speakers.

Surround sound is just a bombastic gimmick anyway and truth be told can be done very well with no center speaker at all an using any old speakers available as surrounds. Just make sure your normal front left and right speakers are the best you can use.

----------------

On 5/5/2004 7:53:08 AM TBrennan wrote:

Surround sound is just a bombastic gimmick anyway

----------------

Um, no. The whole point of a good surround system for home theater is to immerse yourself in a film. While a lot of people think of action movies with explosions coming at them sonically from all sides, there is much more to a good surround system to that. If it is raining in a film, it should sound like it is raining in your room - not just from the front soundstage, but throughout the room. If you're watching a suspensful scene in a film and a character looks up when they hear a sound coming from behind the seating area, that's where the viewer should hear it coming from. That's not a gimmick, that's how you get immersed in a film. When was the last time to went to a theater that *didn't* have a surround system?

Darren: right now I am searching far and wide for the parts to make a HereysII center channel but in a more tv-friendly form factor. When I have room for Khorns sooner or later, I may go this route again, or pick up a single Belle and get an acoustically transparent screen, or one Heritage dealer suggested to me that I might be able to order a Belle with some customized dimensions so that there was still a good bass enclosure but the whole thing would be short enough to fit beneath say a projector screen. I'm surprised more people don't go that route, but then again a single Belle is something to the tune of $3,000 so that seems expensive compared to other options.

j-malotky is the antichrist, don't listen to anything he says. I was "done" with my HT untill he kept inviting me over to hear his now I have to start over again. Stay away.

----------------

On 5/5/2004 6:35:10 AM JTS8 wrote:

I just took took the step
9.gif

KLF's out Heritage in - granted it's not the big league but you gotta start somewhere.

In one week I'll have 3 Heresys up front and a pair of Heresy II's for rear duty!

I'll post pictures once everything is in place!

----------------

hey john!

thanks again for makin' the trip and bringing the klf-30 safely to new orleans.

after hearing my Legend-based system (w/RSW-15 sub), i am glad you didn't change your mind about the klf-30-soon-to-be-center channel and turn around and take it back home6.gif

as you know,when the living room is floored,i will be putting the '82 cornwalls/'04 heresy 2/'85 heresy 2's thru their paces w/a yammy receiver.

it will be 'interesting' to compare the 'Heritage' vs. 'Legend' setup, and you know the legends are in the acoustically better room, but hey- as a secondary system, 'corns' and 'heresys' ain't doin' too bad.

avman.

I think the bigger the horn the better, though I have NOT seriously auditioned Reference loudspeakers, in my home, with the same equipment and the same music, nor the solid-state harmon/kardon 8000 receiver.

Regardless, any HT needs a great sub, or two, the Heritage series just needs one more than the floor standing Reference series. The SVS tubes are a great match for large big ole horns.

I cant afford two systems, besides why should I put another dime in another direction when I am still trying to improve my home movie and music reproduction system? (I think ALK crossovers are next).

TomB is right. Running your video through a great stereo makes a great HT. I have yet to hear five cheap loudspeakers do, for the same money, that two used big ole horns couldnt do better. The effect of the surround sound is minor compared to the dynamics, balance and clear tone of two great loudspeakers.

Visit me anytime

Thanks for all the info folks. I guess I'm going to have to re-think the whole thing through. When I suggested the Heritage line, I was thinking Cornwall, Chorus or Forte as fronts then using something in one of the other Klipsch series for the rest. It would seem that is a no-no and I should stick with all Heritage. Unfortunately, I don't have room for six Cornwalls 8.gif or even Hereseys. The room is about 12 x20 but my furnishings dictate small surrounds and center channel. If I tried to mount Herseys as surrounds my wife would have my head mounted as a center rear between them! I guess that Reference line is looking better all the time.

Don't forget all the smaller extended Heritage line of speakers that would work well. KG1, KG1.2, KG1.5, KG2, KG2.2, KG2.5, and KG3 all these are real wood veneer and are solidly built and will blend with Corns, Chorus, Forte's, Quartet's, and Heresy II's in the front.

My home theater has been evolving for like 5 years now it did not start that way. As the deals came, speakers changed, I started with a KG 2.2V center with Belle's in front and Heresy II's in the rear and it just kept growing! I never imagined for the world that I would have the speakers that I do now. Total invesment for all the speakers I currently have listed below was $3,250 and I did it in phases. The sonics as they are now are just downright scary!