Now that it's over, I can talk about it......

picky

My mom is 84 and we had to rush her to emergency last Sunday morning at 4:30 AM. She's been in the hospital ever since. It's now Wednesday afternoon and she just got out of surgery. The doctors had to put 2 stents in on her right side, and she no longer needs the bypass they thought they might have to do. She may be home with us tomorrow (she lives with us at our house), which is kind of miraculous in itself. I cannot tell you what an enormous relief I am feeling right now!

This had started out on Saturday as a terrible week to begin with when our projector went on the fritz (I posted that in the Home Theater forum). But, then, when mom fell ill, the projector-thing was a pretty low priority in comparison. And, then some other stuff happened during the week and then the arguments on the forum on Monday, and then we learned yesterday of her possible bypass....everything just sort of came to a head. This week has been a real crap-fest!

I realize that these stent-things and by-passes have now become pretty much routine these days and the do literally thousands of them a week. But, let me just say that when it is your own mom who has been stricken.....it hurts real bad! 15.gif And, to think that mothers day is this Sunday!

Thank goodness for the doctors, nurses and the big boss upstairs! Guys: Go out and buy your mom some flowers this weekend and take her to dinner! I know I will be! God bless her! 12.gif

I wish your Mom all the best, and a speedy recovery. I'm not looking forward to Mother's Day this year. I lost my Grandmother, who raised me, in January. Two weeks later my husband lost his mother. She was an AWESOME mother-in-law. Two great ladies in two weeks. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Things will start turning around for the better. 1.gif

• Like 1

Picky, like we have mentioned to others before, there is no time like the present to tell her you love her. Don't let the "being a man" syndrome stand in the way...these truly are magic words, and will help her heal.

He--, practice on the way to the hospital. I love you, I love you. . . .

You all are in our thoughts and prayers!

Seems like you got the biggest Mother's Day gift of all.

Speakers, amps and things don't seem too important all of a sudden when a family member is in crisis. I just about lost my Mom a few years ago to similar circumstances and it was a gift to have her back.

How's the song go - 'These are the Days' Thanks for reminding me not to take things for granted. Hamish

----------------

On 5/5/2004 1:23:20 PM picky-picky wrote:

I realize that these stent-things and by-passes have now become pretty much routine these days and the do literally thousands of them a week. But, let me just say that when it is your own mom who has been stricken.....it hurts real bad!
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/15.gif"> And, to think that mothers day is this Sunday!

----------------

Yeah, you ain't $#!++ing me there! I know all to well how that goes 6.gif. Fortunatly, my mother is doing very well, and in fact, I was just up there this past Sunday, delivering her my mother's day gift. I bought my parents a DirecTiVo unit as combined Mother's, Father's, and Wedding Anniversery gift and installed it for them (although my father had to call up DirecTV to get it activated, since it was thier account - they already have DirecTV).

I'll be calling them this weekend again to see how they like it after a week and of course, to with my mother a happy Mother's Day.

Anyway, back to the topic on hand.

Yeah, I do indeed wish you and your mother well. Yeah, sometimes it seems like when it rains, it does indeed pour. Hey, the sun will be back out and all will be good, so keep the head up. It sounds like you've gotten your projector straightened out (from what I saw in the HT section), and as for the arguments. Just ignore them. No need to get yourself worked up over what is essentially nothing.

Again - you and your mother are in my prayers.

Wow, you all are so wonderful. I am not surprised as we do have a great group here, don't we? Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and for sending your well-wishes and prayers. You are all the best! 12.gif

Mom had a very rough night last night until about midnight. All of the medicine they gave her for her procrdure yesterday must have dehydrated her and her blood pressure got dangerously low. There were some very tense moments for a while last night and they moved her to special care unit where they can observe her more closely.

I called this morning and she's fine. They poured the fluids to her over night and now she's off all her I.V.s and her blood pressure is back to near-normal. She said she slept really well last night. I'm glad SHE did; were we all biting our nails! LOL 9.gif

Naturally, we hope she comes home tonight, but it's my guess they are going to want to watch her a bit longer. She sure is a tough, little lady! By the way, mom's name is Rose.

On another note: our fellow forum freind, Michael Hurd and his girlfriend are currently in Toronto on personal business. I spoke with Mike this morning and they are coming down here to Detroit tomorrow morning to spend a couple of days with us. We are going to take them to as many places as we can while time allows. Naturally, we'll be here for mom as appropriate. we are very much looking forward to meeting Mike and his girl, and discussing what we all love; audio and video! Thanks again everyone! The Klipsch forum rocks!

-Glenn (Picky) 2.gif

Picky,

Glad to hear your Mom is getting the attention she needs! My Mom's been going through a lot, too. I take her to several doctors every week. Today it's the Opthamologist, then to the hospital for a CT scan. Tomorrow it's echo-cardiogram time, next week a colonoscopy (BTW, the DR. was a classmate of mine in grade school!). Cardiologists, Pulmonologists, sleep studies, eye surguries, knee replacement, atrial fibrulation, pills, pills, pills.... Generally in pretty good spirits (she is funny as HELL, and a truly loving and giving person, totally accepting of others), these health issues make a positive attitude a challenge for her. It's a good thing Mother's Day is Sunday (not that we shouldn't shower Moms with love 365 days a year!). Her name is Anita, and she just turned 80!

Happy Mothers Day, Rose!!

"I realize that these stent-things and by-passes have now become pretty much routine these days and the do literally thousands of them a week"

Man, nothing is "routine" when it's YOUR family. I wish her and you all the best.

Sounds like a lot of us (including me) have had some close-calls with our moms this year. The very best to all of you.

Fini: Yeah, don't I know about all of the pills! SHEESH! When we took her into the ER we almost had a shopping bag full! Happy Mother's Day to Anita, too!

avman & Darren: Thanks, guys!

I spoke eith ROse this morning and she sounded great. SHe has to do some walking today and the doctor said if she does well he'll let her come home tomorrow (Saturday) just in time for Mother's Day! WOO-HOO! 1.gif How cool is that?!10.gif

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts, support and prayers! This forum is a wonderful place to be.

BTW: Fellow forum member Michael Hurd and his girlfriend will be arriving at our home today around noon. They are on the road from Toronto right now. We're looking forward to meeting them.

-Glenn (Picky) 2.gif

Mom (Rose) arrived mom from the hospital this morning (Saturday). We all wish to thank everyone for their kind thoughts, well-wishes and prayers. She seems to be doing great! Mother's Day will have such extra special meaning to us this year. Thanks, again!

-Picky 2.gif

m00n: Thanks for the good wishes. Unfortunatley, I had to take mom back to the emergency room for about 5 hours yesterday as she had a bad allergic reaction to one of the new drugs they put her on. I am thankful they did not keep her, but she arrived back home too late to enjoy mother's day dinner with her grand and great grand children. 8.gif Better days are ahead. 16.gif

Sorry to hear about the allergic reaction! I hope that she is much better now. Both myself and deane had a wonderful time with you and your wife, it was too bad that everything happened in the week leading up to our arrival. I must thank you again for the wonderful tour and the suggestions of what to take in in our short stay. 9.gif We definately found our dinner in greektown yummy!

Mike: Thanks for your wishes about mom. The doctors re-admitted her to the hospital yesterday (Monday) with an irregular heartbeat. They have now gotten it under control with medicine, but they had to keep her last night. I hope they release her soon. 15.gif

Since I am reading your post above, I assume that you and Deane have made it safely back home to Thunder Bay. Verna and I are relieved to know you made it safely. We had an excellent time showing you both around the Detroit area and especially sharing a meal at Greektown and seeing Henry Ford Museum together. You are both wonderful people and we both feel blessed to have met you. We look forward to seeing you both again. You are welcome back any time! Just one more reason why this forum is the best: it has the best people. -Glenn