RS-7's may have to go. What about RCW-5 as surrounds?

mmiles

Been off the forum for a while since about September as I recall. Alot going on: selling houses, moving in with g/f, building house, g/f is now wife and moving into new house but things are settling down.

Here's the deal...

Like the subject states the RS7's are huge. In my old house (just me and the kids of course prior to marriage) "I" had no problem but these bad boys do indeed take up alot of room and it makes decorating (picture placement and color/white) somewhat difficult. Has anyone used the RCW-5? According to the specs and literature it looks like an in wall RB-5 of old.

BUT BEFORE YOU GUYS HATE ON ME...

I did win the projector battle! Installed a DWIN TV3+ and 100" Stewart Studiotek.

If you like you can also email me at: mmiles@icrinc.net

Regards,

mm

Sorry can't answer your question but I did make this observation. had you not gotten married, you would not be in this delima. 2.gif It's already happening my friend... Give up now.

Congrats on the marriage... 1.gif

I'm sorry, but there's just absolutely no way in you know where I would let my g/f OR wife tell me what I could or could not do with my passion (stereo).

It would be a cold day in "H" when I would sell a pair of speakers or down-size my system just so my "better half" can decorate a room. 14.gif14.gif

I just gave my KG3.5's to my sons room and bought RCW-5's for the ceiling. The sound is very good for HT, just a bit different if you are putting them in the ceiling vs. the floor/wall. I actually get a better feel for surround, and hear both speakers better now that they are above my listening position. Jusy my opinion though.

I wish I could give you more input but I just replaced all my HT and getting the darn REF50 to work properly is a difficult task when the family just wants to listen.

I've got an 11 foot cathedral ceiling over my listening area and my mains are only 12 feet in front of me so ceiling speaks were not really an option!

My wife would also NOT let me just screw in two big black surround speakers into the back wall so..... We've both compromised just a little and we purchased two 48 inch cherry shelves from Restoration Hardware(our decor is somewhat "antique" and definately NOT modern) and I'm going to mount them on the back wall. The shelves are 10" deep which will work well with my RS-35's (I know yours are bigger but maybe this spark your imagination and save a marriage). ...and colorwise....it blends great! Cherry shelves with black speaks actually looks pretty nice! They have black, white, walnut(I think) and cherry to chose from. Then....it gives her the opportunity to decorate with a few other nick-nacks on the long shelves. My rear speaks are 8 feet apart and about 24 inches over my head! It's not perfect.....but I'm still happily married!!!!

One day when I get around to spending mulah on a digital camera, I'll send in a pic or two. We like it a lot!

man i forgot just how tough this group is on the waf factor.

hey guys she is great in all areas trust me! believe it or not the rooms orientation of furntiture, entrance ways and windows do make the rs7' a bit of an eyesore but they do sound sweet with the rf7's and rc 7 for sure.

on a private email one forum member suggested rb75's and stands. not bad but again furniture placement as well as sub woofer placement would not permit that to happen. one wall is taken up with furniture and intables, another wall is consumed by a loveseat and sub with the other wall is the where the equipment and screen is located. the final wall is lost to a 10 foot opening.

so i guess i'm off to ebay for some rcw-5's.... hehehehehehe.

OK, I have about 20 minutes before my next appointment...

When looking at the Kilpsch website the product page (not PDF prodcut cutsheet) states this about the RCW-5...

"Utilizing all of the same highest-grade materials and cutting edge horn technology as the RB-5 bookshelf model,"

So if I could find some RB5 or RB5II on ebay this should mate to my RF7+RC7 setup?

Later,

mm

When my wife and I bought our first house she said the same thing. "You want to hang those big black speakers where!?!?!" So, off I went to see what I could get for in wall speakers. I love my rcw-5. I have them set to large and they help shake things up a bit. With the 8" woofer it really sounds great. I have the rc-25 in front and the sf1(yes they are getting upgraded) in front with a denon 3803 and I think it works great. I do have to turn them down a bit to match up so I think they would be fine for you.

depends on what you like to hear.

my rule of thumb is to set the "fronts" (main l/r and center) to large if the speaker is clean and accurate down to at least 40-50hz. i always leave the surrounds set to small. this may be my mistake.

regards,

mm

• 1 month later...

First I have to say thanks to everyone who posts here. I just finished putting together my Home Theater system and absolutely love it! Initially I was going to go with Bose but after reading up on it I changed my mind.

So I went to BestBuy and found some Klipsch In-Wall speakers(KHW-5) and a decent sub (KSW-12) that I liked and started to pursue that lead. Which brought me here to this forum.

Atfer reading about some of the Subs in this forum I decided to go to Ultimate Electronics and try out the RW-12. What a difference, I was sold. However that sub was in the room with the reference series in wall speakers(RCW-5). The RCW-5 inwalls blew the KHW-5 inwalls out of the water. After hearing those I decided to go with the reference series speakers. Unfortunetly they were almost twice as much as the others. Here is what I decided to go with:

RC-25 for the Center channel

RCW-5 for the Front Right and Left

RCR-3 for the Rear Right and Left

RW-12 for the Sub

Ultimate Electronics quoted me $2468 for that set of speakers but they offered me $200 off if I bought it that day. I decided to do some more research. I ended up finding the same speakers on-line at brandnamez.com for almost half that price $1384. I never heard of that web site but I took the risk because the price was so low. Everything arrived in about a week and a half and was brand new in the original box and unopened.

All I can say is I absolutely love my new system. It sounds amazing! Not to mention my wife is thrilled with the look of the In-Wall and In-Ceiling speakers. If you are not a die hard audiophile and are looking for good speakers that won't annoy your significant other then I would highly recommend the RCW and RCR series of speakers.

Thanks again to everyone on this forum. I've read through hundreds of posts and I feel much more confident with my system now because of it!

mm - I used RB5II's in a previous setup with RF and RC 7's up front and was very happy with the synergy. I would support your notion of going down that path. As to being tough on waf on this board, I bet the real stories at home are a little different.....3.gif

First, mike89t: Welcome into the forum. Glad to have you here!

mmiles: My condolences on the wife-factor. I kinda like BBB's resolution, I don't think they would allow your Klipsch to come with you to jail. 9.gif So, that's probably not the way to go.

Anywho, I have RS-7's on the sides and I have RCW-5's as rears in my 7.1 configuration (RF-7's and RC-7 up front with an RSW-15 Sub). I run them all set to "Large" and I have the RCW-5 0/-3db Treble and Bass switches set to "0".

Naturally, the RS-7 is a completely different type of speaker than the RCW-5. As rears the RCW-5's seem to work great. But, as side surrounds, I would be aware that the RS-7's are Di-pole and therefore more difficult to localize with your hearing. On the other hand, the RCW-5 is not Di-pole and the ability to localize them from your seat may serve to disappoint you. Of course, I do not know this for certain, but I would recommend you take a look at some in-wall dipoles such as ones offered by Atlantic Technologies, before you go ahead with the RCW-5s. Best of luck!

I was wondering, if you're going to go with in wall... have you ever considered putting an RB-35 or maybe even 75 into the housing so that its flush with the wall? Since its front ported it wouldnt need much room to breathe, and it would probably sound better than in-wall speakers.

Thanks for all those that replied especially David and his persistance. However as the said on Apollo 13... "Houston we have a problem".

Since I am so picky and wanted these babies to go to thier new home in prestine condition I decided (upon recomendation) to clean the grill cloth on the RS-7.

I used diluted "Spray and Wash" spot remover on a clean damp white cloth. After dabbing one stubborn spot a few times this black or inky blue spot came through about the size of a quarter. What I think has happened is the solvent got in contact with the cabinet in which was black (like all Ref. 7 products) and the color bled through the grill cloth.

Step 2 is to take dilute (very diluted) bleach and try to clean the grill clote material.

If this scare folks off then so be it but they still sound excellent.

Does anybody have a cleaning suggestion or can the grill cloth be replaced?

Regards,

mm