What do you use to protect your gear?

Many of you may have seen my post that discussed balanced power supplys and line conditioners. While ultimatly I am after the best sound, I also want my system to be safe from surges and the like. What do you guys use behind your gear to protect it? And, has it made any sonic differences that you have noticed? I am moving in about 2 weeks, and I'd like to have a good idea of how I want to handle my incoming power by then. Is it worth risking it and just having a balanced power supply, or is it better to be safe and get something with surge protections as well?

Joeph

I'm no expert, but I know how the power in my town fluctuates wildly due to excessive air conditioner useage and severe lightning strikes. Therefor I use a Monster Power HTS 5000 surge protector/line conditioner for my 2-channel system. Although I really hear no difference between my components connected to the HTS 5000 or when they're plugged directly into the wall outlet (some do, and say that line conditioners restrict accurate sound...who knows), I personally feel much safer knowing my components are better protected from surges and/or spikes.

Many years ago I had a Nakamichi DRAGON cassette deck literally get fried from a high voltage power spike in the 75 year old building I was living in at the time. Two days work and $120 later, it was repaired as good as new, and I invested in a Panamax 1000 line conditioner and connected all my components into it...never had a problem since!

For what it's worth...

I use a Cinepro Professional "PowerPRO 20" Balanced AC line conditioner/surge protector. I do hear a slight difference in my audio system in the high end range(smoother, less edgy)and I see a slightly finer less grainy image from my video components. Nothing to jump up and down about. But, the main thing is piece of mind from a system protection point of view.

Scrambler----It's part of my home-owners policy, you can opt for full replacement cost; you just go out and buy brand new stuff and State Farm pays.

My basement flooded once and State Farm was johhny-on-the-spot. No hassles, no problems; paid for new everything. Great insurance company.

surge-x SX1115RT surge protector/power conditioner for my audio video system....

zero surge 7.5 amp floor unit for my computer system....

both units are series mode surge protectors.... (same as brickwall brand)

www.surgex.com

www.zerosurge.com

www.brickwall.com

1.gif

p.s.... the homeowners insurance is great unless you have some unique or custom equipment that cannot be easily replaced.....

I hope I don't get flamed here but Circuit City has many different voltage protection devices in stock at different price ranges and of course they have them hooked up where then can show you (A&B them)how well they can clean up the sound by removing dirt from the voltage, I don't know if a lot of this is true, I just wanted the surge protector and bought one built by Monster but I don't remember the model number paid about $50. for it. But I found the best way to save your equipment during lightening storms is to unplug your gear from the wall when not in use.2.gif

Remington riot gun, chains, and it took three big guys just to get my speakers through the door and into the house in the first place. Also, a good reason to keep your house so cluttered that the burglars don't know what to steal first so they end up tiddying up for you. Keep your rare $800 LPs right next to the Sean Cassady LPs, they won't know what to steal first unless they are hard bop junkies needing to cop. So keep your Hank Mobley's in the locked safe.

C&S

I use a 'cheap' plug-in surger protector on the wall outlet. From there the power goes into two Furman power conditioners/surge protectors. One of them also monitors line voltage & current. From there the power goes into a Crown DL2 Power Module.

I recently acquired a Topaz Line2 2000 watt line conditioner/regulated power supply for free. I have to run some tests on it before I use it. I don't know much about it but my friend says it's used for critical applications in computer systems. It will probably be installed between the Furmans & the Crown. If anyone knows anything about this unit please let me know. Supposedly it is not a 'switching' regulated power supply as most are.

I use an outside antenna for FM (& TV backup), a stacked array of large Winegards. These are grounded at two locations on either side of the house, via dual strands of solid 12 gauge aluminum wire connected to 1/2"x4' copper rods driven into the ground. Same thing with the 75ohm coax.

Since the room was custom built specifically for 'audio', the room is on its own circut and has an isolated ground.

Oh yeah, and my dog. He's real good at protecting everything! (he loves the Blues & Stevie Ray Vaughn in particular)