Room height too low??

basse

Hey, I do have a room that is 22 square meters, that is about 10feet*20feet. The room isnt too small for RF-7 I think, ok it could be larger, but my main problem is the height. It is only 205 cm.

Will this crash totally with RF-7 or would it be better with a smaller model?

What about RB-75? I had RF-5 but a frien of mine bought it... thats ok because I want to have all my speakers black finish in my home cinema.

Anyone? I was thinking of RB-75 since it is a much smaller speaker than RF-7. I have to buy a sub with the RB-75, the RSW12.

I know, in volumes, the RB-75s cant be compared with the RF-7, but......?

I am going to use it for 95% home cinema.

Thanks for answers...

I would go w/the rf-7's myself...my room is 11x20 (feet) and in that space i have a pair of rf-7's for mains, rf-5's for rears, and rc-7. After experimenting w/seating placement i found that 12 feet off the front wall is the best (for my room).

good luck

basse: I agree with ncsubum; In my humble opinion, I would go for the RF-7's.

My room is only 10-1/2 ft x 19 ft and only 7 feet high at the tallest point. I have 2 RF-7's for mains and an RC-7 for center with RS-7 side surrounds and RCW-5 rears. All this, coupled with an RSW-15 and the system rocks! The only detriment caused by the RF-7's in my room is that they are so tall that I had to go with a 78" (diagonal) screen instead of the 92" that I had orginally wanted. But, after all is said and done, the 78" is perfectly suited for the room and I do not find myself now wanting a larger screen. We are very pleased with our setup. Best of luck! -Picky 2.gif

Ok thanks, but wouldnt there be a lot of reflections and "compressed" sound? It is important with some air around the speakers....?

Are you satisfied with the sound quality too or is it just the SPL that pleases you guys?

10.gif

I can't see why the smaller speakers would work better in a small room, or one with a close ceiling.

A given room may have its own unique problems. That is a big MAY. But they are not going to be solved with a small speaker.

Go for the best you can afford.

Gil

Unless you have five foot ceilings, I sure wouldn't worry about it.

The higher sensitivity of the RF-7 directly relates to quality of sound, since you won't as likely be driving your amp or receiver near it's operating limits -- in other words -- less distortion.

An RB-75 and RSW-12 might work out better for home theater though, since you will be able to reproduce the massive amounts of low frequency information found in movies. The downside is that you will need much more power overall.

I would personally go with RF-7s, and use corner reinforcement to help with the bass.

----------------

On 5/10/2004 12:30:31 AM basse wrote:

Hey, I do have a room that is 22 square meters, that is about 10feet*20feet. The room isnt too small for RF-7 I think, ok it could be larger, but my main problem is the height. It is only 205 cm.

Will this crash totally with RF-7 or would it be better with a smaller model?

What about RB-75? I had RF-5 but a frien of mine bought it... thats ok because I want to have all my speakers black finish in my home cinema.

Anyone? I was thinking of RB-75 since it is a much smaller speaker than RF-7. I have to buy a sub with the RB-75, the RSW12.

I know, in volumes, the RB-75s cant be compared with the RF-7, but......?

I am going to use it for 95% home cinema.

Thanks for answers...

----------------

well first off, i don't think a speaker can ever be too big...bigger is definetly bigger when it comes to speakers (but we don't need to go there).

secondly, the RB-75 and the RF-7 have the same dispersion patterns for the tweeters (60x90 degrees). that means that the sound is going to be bounced in the same direction anyway.

the only difference then is the RF-7 goes 10Hz lower and is 5dB more efficient...5db difference in sensitivity is almost the same as saying the RF-7 needs half as many watts as the RB-75 to reach the same volume. in the end, that means much less distortion and a cleaner, smoother sound.

also, since the RF-7's are capable of producing 32Hz, the only sub you're going to need is one to fill in from 20Hz to 32Hz, but you might consider letting the sub take over up to around 40 or 50 depending on the sub you go with. my point here is that with RF-7's, you aren't going to be missing out on much without those last 10Hz and with good room placement, you might not even need a sub!

so all that said, i can't think of one advantage the RB-75 would have over the RF-7's and in the long run, i think the RF-7's will be cheaper (you're gonna have to buy stands and match a subwoofer to make an RB-75 setup sound right, and that gets expensive real fast).

Money is not the point here. But i dont want to buy a speaker that is too big for my room, specially with my room height. A speaker can be too big to get boomy bass and not linear frequency response, thats all. I really think the bass response will be more linear with 75s, but hey, not the SPL.11.gif

But thanks for good answers, and I think it will be the RF-7s.11.gif

Please come with moore feedbacks :)

I can also use the same type of center as front speaker, so 3 RF-7s would be grat:) 3 RB-75s wouldnt be that bad...BUT!

Too bad that Klipsch prices are MUUUUUCH more expensive here in Norway, but hey Its just money right? 2.gif

Someone who want to send over a RC-7 in black? and maybe a pair of RS-7?

I have a room that is 10 wide 20 feet long, my ceiling is valuted however. I have no issues at all with my RF7s. If you are worried about acoustics, you can always treat it. I'm in the process of treating my room with DIY acoustic panels and what not.

----------------

On 5/11/2004 12:43:28 AM basse wrote:

Money is not the point here. But i dont want to buy a speaker that is too big for my room, specially with my room height. A speaker can be too big to get boomy bass and not linear frequency response, thats all. I really think the bass response will be more linear with 75s, but hey, not the SPL.
11.gif

----------------

Bass response is dependant on your room modes and their distribution in the room. Yes, a large peak can make your system sound boomy, but this has nothing to do with the speakers themselves... rather it is room dependant.

The situation you feel the RB would be advantageous would be if your room had a large peak around 30Hz. The RF will excite it and emphasize the problem... while the RB's frequency response has already started to roll off and your room mode actually helps extend it's bass response. Problem is your room mode is more likely around 57Hz... and both the RB and RF will excite it... to avoid it you would need a speaker which rolls of much higher like 65Hz to 70Hz, and not use a sub. Another option would be to to set your mains to small and tune your sub to the room. (these are just examples, you would have to measure your own room to know your room modes).

Remember that you may eventually move. Get the speaker which physically fits in the space and sounds best to you. If you set your mains to small, there might not be a huge difference between the RB and RF. Otherwise you experiment with placement and some room treatments if need be.

Later...

Rob

ok, I will not move in the next decade I think :)

I think if I bought RB-75 and setup as small, it would be great with the 2 RW-12 or 1 RSW-12. I had the RF-7s before and they are great!!

Room mode? How can I find this out? Is this where I am going to sit etc?

On 5/10/2004 8:01:03 PM basse wrote:

----------------------------------------------

Ok thanks, but wouldnt there be a lot of reflections and "compressed" sound? It is important with some air around the speakers....?

Are you satisfied with the sound quality too or is it just the SPL that pleases you guys?

----------------------------------------------

basse: Nope. I do not have any issues in my room with reflection. Reflections are something you must plan for ahead of time in your room design as I did, or you can correct it after-the-fact as m00n suggests. And reflections can occur regardless of how large or small your speakers happen to be. Personally, I like the-larger-the-better theory. 9.gif

As for a "compressed" sound, with fellow forum member Michael Hurd as my witness, I think the sound quality of the room far exceeds my earliest expectations. There is plenty of sound projection in the room thanks to the melamine foam suspended ceiling and at no time does it ever sound restrained or compressed. The sound it so clean and smooth that the SPL is an afterthought. I believe that the sound levels in the room are actually higher than perceived by the listener. I have not noted any listening fatigue or harshness. I am completely satisfied with the job the RF-7's and the rest are doing.

Ok, I give up!!

It will be the RF-7s again11.gif

I see that the Klipsch guys here are very otfen using Harman Kardon and the AVR7200. Is this the AVr-7500 in Europe or the 8500? Anybody?

So the AVR-7200 is enough for these monsters?

----------------

On 5/11/2004 7:55:56 AM basse wrote:

So the AVR-7200 is enough for these monsters?

----------------

Oh sure... very much so. It's what I'm running and I'm happy with it. But I often times get the "needus tous upagradis" virus and sometimes look to see what else is out there. But by all means, it definitly moves these speakers effortlessly.

I thought of the Rotel 1068 pre and 1095 amp.

But I can get a good deal on the Aragon set, The one pre and 2007 amp11.gif

I wonder if you from US are not using Aragon? It has to bee cheap in US since the Klipsch are? Klipsch owns Aragon, so....?

Well, Aragon is absolutely the king used on Klipsch :)