A Bad Day, But A New Beginning

Yesterday morning I was up at 6:00, walking through the skeleton of what was left of our home. The tongue and groove knotty pine walls were all gone, tucked away in a safe dry storage area. There was never a lick of sheetrock in the house, every wall was tongue and groove, so the light from one lamp could illuminate the entire interior of the small (600 s.f.) house. Pulled off some last hinges from doors, never know when you're gonna need those. Cursed one last time at the 8 foot long set of cabinets that I had hoped to keep for the new woodshop or garage, but when the guy that built the house 50 years ago installed them, he used 5" long ringed nails, and they were NOT going to come out of the studs, realized that once I started busting up the wood in the cabinets before the nails started coming loose. Did one last check for any tools left inside while I was doing deconstruction, did find a screwdriver. My wife Rebecca came up from the camper about 7, decided that she wanted to keep a 4X4 4 pane picture window, but she doesn't know what for, so after some quick prying and trim removal, we lifted it out and carried it to a neighbors garage. As we were dropping it off, heard the trucks coming. They needed to park at the public access to the lake, which is only 200 yards down our driveway, since the semi wouldn't be able to make the turn down the driveway. Becca didn't want to be there for the final day; there had been enough tears shed in the last day or two as we carried the last of our belongings out, so she grabbed our daughter Claire and headed off to work, passing the BIG backhoe on the way down the drive. Though I wasn't sure I even wanted to, I was left to chronicle the events of the day in video and pictures. Another quick walk through with the backhoe operator to see what he was up against, and away they went. It started out simply enough, ripping up the slab from the garage and old workshop, the power of these machines is incredible. Down the sidewalk, then the house. It seemed like everything went in slow motion, but in actuality, they started into the house at 8:30, and by 12:00 it was gone; nothing left but a hole from the basement. Amazing what one backhoe and two dump trucks can accomplish when the landfill/dump site is only 3 miles away. I didn't cry, but I wanted to, and I know it showed some in my voice in some of the video, which we haven't watched yet. We'd been here almost 11 years; all of our daughters life, all of our married life, 1/4 of my own life. It was a small house, but it was a good house. It gave us a lot of great memories, and didn't ask for any up keep that I couldn't do myself. 11 years and have never had to call a plumber, electrician, etc, but have to do some stuff myself. Thankfully I have the skills to do those jobs. I've moved quite a few times in my life, and I am pretty sure that this is the longest I have ever lived in one house, even in my chilhood years. You take all your stuff, move it out, and wave bye to the place as someone else moves in to bring new life to the place. I feel different here. We saved everything we could, wood, windows that neighbors want for picture frames, antique door knobs, lots of stuff, but there is something about watching your home just be destroyed that twists you up a little inside. My heart goes out to anyone that has experienced a house fire; at least we had advance notice and time to take out everything we wanted, I can't imagine the sight of your home going down with all your life still inside. On the up side, by 7 last night, they had the basement hole filled and packed, the foundation lines laid out and marked, and when I get home tonight should have the new hole for the downstairs dug, ready for the cement guys to start laying the forms for the ICF's tomorrow. I can't wait to get home and, for the first time, stand on the ground of what is soon to be my new, proverbial, dedicated, accoustically tuned, listening room. (Thanks artto)

I realize this is fairly off topic for the Klipsch forum, but since yesterday the only people I have had to talk to have been the guys here at work, and we were too busy to get into it. I feel I have made some friends here that realize life is a lot more than a kick butt sound/HT system, and it's those people I speak to. It feels good just to work out these thoughts on paper, so to speak. If you'd prefer to not read such drivel on a stereo speaker forum, simply refrain from reading any of the replies to this post, assuming you got this far through it before hitting "Back" and going on to another topic.

Thanks for letting me share with you all.

They think we can be out of the camper into an enclosed shell of a downstairs in maybe 4-5 weeks; looking at August probably for actual completion, then we get to start doing the painting, trim, flooring, installing the plumbing fixtures, etc. that we're doing ourselves. We'll see how much of that we can do as things progress.

I didn't realize how long that was when I posted it, thanks for getting through it!! 1.gif

I really, rally do know where you are coming from. Until the last three years I was a renter. Had not one, but two houses go to developers (may they all rot in hell). The last one I had for 14 years. It was on 1 acre of wodded land five mintues from the biggest suburban center just outside of Washington,DC. I had several opportunites to buy but I just could not leave the place. It was like camping in the woods with all the urban conveniences.

Fortunately you've got more then just the memories. Your friends in the neighborhood are still there, the scenary is still there, and you're still there. It's an old saw, but I susepect when all is done you will make your new house into a home.

I can relate.

Some years ago I watched as a demolition crew tore down what had been my commercial building. I had bought a derelict ( Second Hand furniture/appliance/odds and ends) business and a little later the building it was housed in. Fortunately the proceeds from the sale of that property allowed me to be essentially debt free.

I had purchased a potentially profitable business that had been badly mismanaged for several years and for about 3 years things went well with sales increasing at about 50% per year. At exactly the point that I would have expected to exceed break even the Canadian Government changed the tax rules and introduced what is essentially a national sales tax ( The Goods and Services Tax was introduced ) and things went to hello for in a hand basket for small retailers ...and especially for those of us in the second hand business...overnight ...For months prior to the tax being imposed the government Publicly proclaimed that the tax would apply only to new goods. When the tax hit the fan it applied to all retailers with essentially zero publicity from the tax boys.

I found myself all too frequently being accused of being a liar or a cheat by customers when I added the 7% tax to their purchases. The other side of the sword was that buyers frequently asked me to sell goods at list without GST which if I agreed amounted to a 7% discount from my net profit. < On one occasion a "lady" literally tossed a used book at me when I told her that the price was $1.07. The "lady" told me that the GST did not apply to books or Used goods. I lost it it and bounced it off her left *** and said if the 7 cents was that important to her she could take the book gratis>. Fortunately she left in a huff but did not call in the Gendamerie !

That nasty combination of changes in the taxation laws ( resulting in sales dropping from 25000/mo. to about 3000 for the same month a year earlier), a lack of marketing savvy/business skills on my part ( That is/was a major deficit at my end ),mortgage rates increasing from about 10% to about 28% at the same point resulted in my having to close my store.

In any event having pissed away any hope of early retirement I returned to paid employment and hope to be abe to retire in the next couple of years.

Whining aside I am relatively healthy and even as Kvetch I am listening to Errol Garner on my Khorns.

Life could be a lot worse.

Champagne: I read you entire post and you certainly do express yourself well in words. Your details about various belongings and fixtures and how they have spawned vivid memories of times both good and bad is very touching. From reading your text, it sounds as if your have suffered a fire in your house. But, I believe what you were actually doing was drawing a parallel to the similarity in feelings one gets when they must suddenly vacate their home after having lived there for many years, whether it was voluntary or due to an emergency, were you not? Please forgive me if I am mistaken. I am making the asumption that your house was taken down by choice. Rather than an "Extreme Makeover" it is an "Extreme Replacement", and losing the original simply hurts as bad as if it were taken by a fire. Am I right? Please excuse me if I am being "dense", here. 15.gif

With that said, I cannot imagine how devastating it would be to lose so many memories so quickly and so permanently. I totally understand your wife's need for space and to just get away and not watch the final destruction. I do know what it is like to move from one house to another. But, that old house is still there, holding our memories within its walls. We can still visit it if we wish. But, yours is now completely gone. Yet, your memories still live inside of each of you; in your hearts and in your mind's eyes. And, no backhoe or bulldozer can ever take that away from you. You are not just building a new house. Rather, you are building a new home and new memories. Tomorrow is more important than yesterday. Better days are ahead. 2.gif

Champagne,

every night Liam and I come downstairs for grandparents time. All four of our folks are passed, but my wife has created a triptyche of photos from our childhoods. Liam settles down no matter how active he is, and we spend ten to fifteen minutes looking through photos that go back to the mid-thirties. It is amazing when you realize who and what you are really is mostly about where and how you have been. It sounds like your old house was one filled with love and good memories. Memories shape and rule our lives to a profound extent.

I think I can sort of relate to this. My father this week has just told all of us kids that he intends to sell the faimly homestead (built and lived in by his parents, himself as a child, and us after his parents passed away). Although we can all understand that he wants to move to a warmer climate and not have to deal the harsh Vermont winters we are all in shock. None of us kids can afford to buy the place so we will be going back there for one last time in June to sort through all of our personal belongings. It is really tough to say goodbye to a place that is so special and that has always be there. The house has a character and charm that will not be found in whatever modern house they move to.

I guess it is time to finally grow up and start thinking of my own house as "home" but it is a tough pill to swallow. I have thought about it a lot this week and I have slowly come to the realization that I will still have all the fond memories of Thanksgivings, Christmas, Birthdays, and Weddings and that "home" is more than just the material possesion but a state of mind. Best of luck to you and your re-build. On the brite side it seems that you will get an awesome new music room!

Laters,

Jeff

Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement. Yes, it was a planned demolition, have known this day was coming for over a year, but that didn't make it any easier. We bought the house with the intentions of adding on to it, but found out there wasn't enough of a foundation to support an additional story, and due to the proximity to the lake and one of our neighbors, no where to go outwards, either. Started saving money to buy/build a new house, then ended up using that to start this business, so started saving money again. A few more years of saving money has finally gotten us to the point where we can do this rebuild, but still have to do a lot of the work ourselves to keep it somewhat affordable.

Last night they had most all of the hole dug for the downstairs when I got home, they were slowed down a little from the rain we had yesterday. The hole looks HUGE, heard from my wife today that they took out 20 10 yard loads of dirt. It's going to be quite a shock going from a house of 600 s.f. to one with over 4000. Always wanted a woodshop, pool table, dedicated listening room, and some of the other toys that boys tend to long for, will finally have the room for them, if not the money to do them all initially. Start saving again, and soon the hole that is there now will be not only a house, but the home we have wanted and worked for all these years. Getting older sucks, but it does seem to bring some benefits with it on occasion. 1.gif