what else besides 511B

Colin

Since hearing Arkytypes smooth system, I will upgrade my mid-range horns and tweeter before ordering ALKs crossovers, what other horns should I consider besides the Aztec 511B and why?

thaks for all the help

University Cobraflex's.

Because they sound equally as good as 511b's. I have 511b's in my '54 cornerhorns as well as in my '74 Belles. Love the sound. Love the dispersion. However, 511b's do not fit either inside or on top of Cornwalls, which I am using for surrounds. So I tried University Cobraflex's. IMHO, the sould is as good - if not a wee bit better - than the altecs. The dispersion is easily as good. Another plus....your midrange driver will screw right on....no adapter needed.

Good luck!

EV SM-120A. If you can find them. Outstanding radial horn with a 120 degree pattern. Just the thing to take the "burn" away from LaScalas.

Hell, there are lots of good horns out there, try the Edgar "saladbowls" sometime. Neat thing with horns is you don't have to get locked into one certain horn, you can try lots of them, I did. Although I never found anything I really liked better than the ole 511 except the 1003 multi-cell.

----------------

On 5/14/2004 1:52:57 PM edwardre wrote:

University Cobraflex's.

Because they sound equally as good as 511b's. I have 511b's in my '54 cornerhorns as well as in my '74 Belles. Love the sound. Love the dispersion. However, 511b's do not fit either inside or on top of Cornwalls, which I am using for surrounds. So I tried University Cobraflex's. IMHO, the sould is as good - if not a wee bit better - than the altecs. The dispersion is easily as good. Another plus....your midrange driver will screw right on....no adapter needed.

Good luck!
----------------

Well yea...... Except that the 511b can be built into a separate cabinet like Khorn "A" (?) and placed atop the CW. (and who would want to use a K-55 when the Altec 902 driver is out there.) The Crobraflex sounds great in a high school gym.

Opps...Sorry Ed...I have done it again.....

Regards,

Terry

----------------

On 5/15/2004 9:30:19 AM Colin wrote:

oh really? WHY?
----------------

Ditto!

I did sort of shoot my mouth off about the Cobraflex. Its been years since I listened to them in Khorns, but I remember them as sounding a little "******". I did some serious A/B comparisons with the K-55 and 902's crossed at 600 just a few weeks ago. IMHO, the K-55 sounded "lifeless" compared to the 902-16a. Also, the 511b/902 runs above 22,000cps lending itself to 2-way application. (have not tryed it yet)

Regards,

Terry

EV SM120A. Maybe better than 511B because they don't ring (they're not made of metal), wider dispersion, absolutely sweet, smooth and detailed sound. didn't believe what I heard from my Scalas when i bought my SM120A.

Plus they don't require any adapter, the K55 will screw itself nicely in the throat.

The Cobreflex will sound a little ****** in a couple of areas, but over all it is a little cleaner and more detailed the the 511.

I for one wouldn't use a horn with a 500 Hz cut off frequency with a 400Hz crossover. You will be hearing distortion at the horns lower limits of the horn. Maybe that is why the Cobreflex sounds cleaner to me.

----------------

On 5/15/2004 11:55:54 AM Q-Man wrote:

The Cobreflex will sound a little ****** in a couple of areas, but over all it is a little cleaner and more detailed the the 511.

I for one wouldn't use a horn with a 500 Hz cut off frequency with a 400Hz crossover. You will be hearing distortion at the horns lower limits of the horn. Maybe that is why the Cobreflex sounds cleaner to me.
----------------

Good point about the cut off frequency. With the Corns, I'm at 600.

Guys,

I figured I'de get my two pennis worth in here too! Personally, I can't see how the Cobreflex horn could be any good at all for audiophile applications. I think it's a folded horn. I think that's a compromise for PA applications. I'm using Altec 811b and love them to pieces! In all honisty though, I have never heard the Cobreflex horn. I've only seen pictures of it.

Al K.

----------------

On 5/15/2004 5:18:08 PM Al Klappenberger wrote:

Guys,

I figured I'de get my two pennis worth in here too!

Al K.

----------------

Al, I knew you were talented, but this? WOW!2.gif

----------------

Guys,

I figured I'de get my two pennis worth in here too! Personally, I can't see how the Cobreflex horn could be any good at all for audiophile applications. I think it's a folded horn. I think that's a compromise for PA applications. I'm using Altec 811b and love them to pieces! In all honisty though, I have never heard the Cobreflex horn. I've only seen pictures of it.

Al K.
----------------

Al, as a matter of fact, I believe that Mr. Klipsch had some negative comments about folded mid-range horns in the Dope Papers. I am sure that I will be corrected if wrong.

tc

----------------

On 5/15/2004 8:22:10 PM fini wrote:

----------------

Guys,

I figured I'de get my two pennis worth in here too!

Al K.

----------------

Al, I knew you were talented, but
this?
WOW!
2.gif

----------------

LMAO Fini.9.gif9.gif9.gif

I was getting bored too!

Actually, I was going to recommend the 811b also. I'm only throwing in one pennis though.3.gif

"I for one wouldn't use a horn with a 500 Hz cut off frequency with a 400Hz crossover. "

Me neither....I use the K500-5000 crossover in my Khorns and Belles. The CW's with the Cobraflex "Ears" sitting atop are a temporary compromise until I can find another '50's era Khorn.

In fact, I just last weekend picked up a '53 Khorn (S/N: 523), a perfect match for my pair of '54's. So....if any of you know of a 50's era single Khorn available, please let me know. Thanks!!