Movie Theaters Give You The Creeps?

bchild311

----------------

On 5/20/2004 1:47:44 PM dgb wrote:

Of course we find out it's what I think was a P-51 coming to the rescue.

----------------

It was a P-51. "D" model. Spielberg seems to like them, just take a look at Empire of the Sun. And he has good reason to. Outstanding aircraft with an interesting history.....

Jeff

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 5/20/2004 10:19:48 AM picky wrote:

m00n:
I'm not so sure about that. The theater that closed at the mall was an AMC and there was another 10-screen theater in a very busy strip mall near our house that just closed and it was a Star!

----------------

Yeah? Thats too bad. I know that Regal in our area is doing quit well. I still want to own one.4.gif

dgb: Wonderful recap on 'Saving Private Ryan'! I remember applauding, too. Everyone was. My dad was in that invasion. He was one of the lucky ones that made it. But, to see it portrayed from the "soldier's eye" point-of-view was horrifying. I saw the movie once. I was amazed by it. But, I do not wish to sit through it again. If my father was still here, I am certain he would have cried if he would have seen it. The movie gave me an even larger appreciation for what my dad had endured on that beach. God bless 'em all. 12.gif

----------------

On 5/20/2004 1:47:44 PM bchild311 wrote:

The sound in that theater for that movie was pretty killer and Spielberg's film style was unprecedented at the time.

----------------

bchild311: I agree with you. I have liked Spielberg's style on nearly every movie he has made thus far. As for his style being "unprecedented at the time", I would have to say that his style tends to be unprecedented most of the time. But in 'Ryan', it was exceptional! A fantastic accomplishment.

----------------

On 5/20/2004 Lurch wrote:

It was a P-51. "D" model. Spielberg seems to like them, just take a look at Empire of the Sun. And he has good reason to. Outstanding aircraft with an interesting history.....

----------------

Lurch: Yes, Spielberg does seem to like the P-51's (Mustangs). I do too. Great catch, Jeff! Isn't the "D" model one of the supercharged versions? I remember seeing a Mustang in the movie '1941' (John Belushi). That movie was a fairly corny affair but the cinematography was stunning and the gags were pretty funny. I think that Slim Pickens (as "Hollis Wood") really stole the show in that movie. My wife absolutely hated it! But, then she doesn't care much for The Three Stooges, either. I guess it's a "guy thing". 2.gif

----------------

On 5/21/2004 6:15:43 AM picky wrote:

I remember seeing a Mustang in the movie '1941' (John Belushi). That movie was a fairly corny affair but the cinematography was stunning and the gags were pretty funny. I think that Slim Pickens (as "Hollis Wood") really stole the show in that movie.----------------

I think '1941' is one of my favorites. Hey, do you know what I say to anybody that didn't like it? "Get to the back of the theater!" he he he he

Hold your fire... Pass it on. 9.gif

BBB: I just LOVE the line that the Japanese officer throws on the deck of the submarine as they must break "Hollis Wood's" (Slim Pickens) old wooden, Philco Cathedral table radio in half in order to force it down through the submarine's hatch; "We gotta figure out how to make these things smaller!" LOL! I think that's the best line in the movie for those of us whom are old enough to remember the little plastic Japanese transistor radios of the 1950's. 2.gif

1941.jpg

Belushi: Captain "Wild Bill" Kelso!

post-10177-13819255184642_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 5/20/2004 10:00:45 AM avman wrote:

----------------

On 5/19/2004 10:42:42 PM toddvj wrote:

If you think it's more fun to sit at home and watch the DVD, then you must be the guy that sits down and never leaves his seat.

----------------

i am
definitely NOT
the guy who never leaves his seat,and i don't beleive i said it is more fun to watch the dvd...

i was saying how much i enjoy concerts on dvd,how the sound and view of the performers is generally better,and how dvd concerts give me the opportunity to experience concerts that i missed,or could never see again.

gee-i'll have to re-read my post-maybe you should too.

avman.

----------------

I don't see your name in my post. It was a general comment, not a personal one. You weren't the only one commenting on concerts. Why are you so sensitive?

I can count the number of movies I've seen in theaters (except IMAX) in the last 25 years on my two hands, and they are as follows:

Jaws

Up In Smoke

E. T.

Batman

Stop Making Sense (Talking Heads)

Star Wars (both releases)

Bittersweet Motel (Phish)

The Exorcist (AKA the version you haven't seen)

Bowling For Columbine (made a road trip for that one)

Uhhhhh - that's ten.

And I have a 6 Cornwall theater.

Seems counterintuitive, huh?

The film industry has much the same pitfalls that the music industry does: Low concentration of quality product, and a mindset to squeeze as many dollars as possible out of those who consume it.

When you go to the theater, the $8-10 ticket charge goes directly to the BigMegaCorps who made the film. The theater gets zero. How does the theater make money? CONCESSIONS. Want to know why they charge $5 for a coke? It's because that is the only way the theater makes money. They rarely get anything from the gate reciepts anymore, so the theaters rely on the "extras" to keep the doors open. Adding to the ripoff, the equipment usually isn't optimized - would you be in charge of running a theater sound system for $8 per hour??

Much the same happens in the concert industry: The majority of the gate goes to the artist in the typical scenario (and that's OK), a portion then goes to the promoter. But there's a newer arrangement occuring frequently, where the artists get a set fee for the tour, then the promoters charge as much as possible and keep the rest of the gate receipts. The arena relies on profits from food, beer, sodas, and a cut of the "premium" items (shirts, hats, programs, and so forth) to pay the bills and turn a profit.

All of this appears to be a conscious attempt to squeeze as many $$$ as possible from thier patrons. It's the Disney model - charge higher prices - high enough so the reduction in tickets sold is made up (and them some) from the MUCH higher prices charged.

I've always enjoyed good music and film, but am generally fed up with the cinema experience. It seems that a better way is to spend those $$ here at home, and see and hear what I want, when I want. I attend concerts regularly, but you will rarely see me spending more than $35 on a ticket - the $75+ tickets get ignored. On an economic basis, it makes more sense to invest those $$ here, and enjoy the freedom to bring whatever food and drink I please - and enjoy much better sound in the process. I also have the benefit of only losing $2-4 on a poor title!

With the fast-advancing technologies in big video displays, it won't be long before my home cinema paradise is complete.....making the theaters effectively obsolete - in my book. It doesn't take many $60+ nights out to pay for this.

----------------

On 5/21/2004 8:18:57 AM toddvj wrote:

----------------

On 5/20/2004 10:00:45 AM avman wrote:

----------------

On 5/19/2004 10:42:42 PM toddvj wrote:

If you think it's more fun to sit at home and watch the DVD, then you must be the guy that sits down and never leaves his seat.

----------------

i am
definitely NOT
the guy who never leaves his seat,and i don't beleive i said it is more fun to watch the dvd...

i was saying how much i enjoy concerts on dvd,how the sound and view of the performers is generally better,and how dvd concerts give me the opportunity to experience concerts that i missed,or could never see again.

gee-i'll have to re-read my post-maybe you should too.

avman.
----------------
I don't see your name in my post. It was a general comment, not a personal one. You weren't the only one commenting on concerts. Why are you so sensitive?

----------------

because i was the first to comment on concerts, and i have a sensitive nature12.gif

no harm-no foul2.gif1.gif

YO, avman! Speaking of CONCERTS: I just got done posting this on the topic "Good Concert DVD's" in Home Theater: At lunchtime today I picked up two new ones: 'Eagles:Hell freezes over' and 'Peter Frampton:Live in Detroit'! I can't wait to get home to watch 'em! Two months ago i bought the 'Blue Man Group' DVD and it was awesome! In addition to watching movies, TV shows and listening to music, I have really been enjoying watching my concert videos. Trouble is, a lot of them, such as my ZZ Top, are only available on VHS!15.gif The VHS's still sound really good, but the video quality is pretty much (BLEH!14.gif ) on our big screen. I especially enjoy watching DVD concerts of shows that my wife and I have actually been to live, such as ZZ Top, Elton John, Paul McCartney, etc. It's fun to actually be there and join in the excitment of the crowd, but I like even better the ability to watch it whenever I want without a lot of the hassles that Audible Nectar mentioned: No $75 tickets, no lines, no parking lot hassles, no $7 beers and my bathroom is just ten steps away in the back of our theater! 3.gif

eagles-hfo is done in DTS!

the dts intro is awesome w/major lfe toward the end of the intro.

also don't miss the extra audio track 'seven bridges road'

each of the 5 performers shown has a dedicated channel for their voice to come out! when the song starts,just go to each speaker and listen to what i mean-very cool,and it can even help balance your individual speaker level! when you sit in your primary listening position,their combined vocals should sound balanced.

enjoy!

avman.

----------------

On 5/19/2004 12:30:02 AM m00n wrote:

Even though I have one hell of a nice system, I still very much enjoy going and seeing a movie in the theater. I find that our local theater has a kickn' setup. I also enjoy the sound of huge rooms as well. very spacious something I can't duplicate in my small room.

----------------

The best thing in a theater...is the picture quality and the GIANT screen.No home so called giant screen compares,you simply cannot equal the quality on a whimpy DVD(MPEG2) no matter how many line doublers and quadruplers improve things.

But my audio system whips movie sound systems in audio resolution and bass.And I sit in the perfect spot 9.gif

Plus no maggots talk or make noise during the move

Picky,

I agree with you almost any bozo or dimple faced teenager has a cell phone these days.And lets be honnest 99% of all cell phone owners do not need a cell phone.

These pathetic humanoids use the cell phone each time they can to show off and show you they are IMPORTANT.Yeah right probably some mnimum wage bottom dweller acting cool.

And during a movie these orcs are twice as irritating.

In the good ole days only the wealthy could have a cell phone,at $2000 a pop and a few $100 per month for service these were the good days.Pretenders had pagers LOL

----------------

On 5/22/2004 9:51:23 PM TheEAR wrote:

----------------

On 5/19/2004 12:30:02 AM m00n wrote:

Even though I have one hell of a nice system, I still very much enjoy going and seeing a movie in the theater. I find that our local theater has a kickn' setup. I also enjoy the sound of huge rooms as well. very spacious something I can't duplicate in my small room.

----------------

The best thing in a theater...is the picture quality and the GIANT screen.No home so called giant screen compares,you simply cannot equal the quality on a whimpy DVD(MPEG2) no matter how many line doublers and quadruplers improve things.

But my audio system whips movie sound systems in audio resolution and bass.And I sit in the perfect spot
9.gif

Plus no maggots talk or make noise during the move

----------------

well THEEAR if you don't whoop movie theaters in sound quality and bass I think we should strip you of the bass title 9.gif

Well I gave in and went to see Shrek2 today. Wasn't an awful experience though. The theater wasn't too crowded and the floor was actually clean. Despite a few burned out lights along the walls and floor, some of the floor lights were broken and had wires exposed, it was a pretty good screening. The audio wasn't spectacular even though it claimed to be THX certified. Was nice seeing the big screen again. I think what made the experience so great was the movie first of all, and seeing my 3 year old daughter go crazy over how big Shrek was.

Suffice it to say I will enjoy it more thoroughly when it comes out on DVD and I can really hear it. By the way the animation in this new movie is phenomenal. Loved it.

I think the right theater gives a better experience than HT. I was fortunate to view the Return of the King on a massive screen at the Harkins Cine' Capri in North Scottsdale, AZ this winter. This is the theater that was featured on the Klipsch web site about the same time the movie was released. I was blown away by the bigness of it and the top the the line Klipsch Movie thaater package that was part of this setup. With some movies you get a better effect on the big screen. At the conclusion, my wife and I said WOW! This is definately a movie to be experienced on the big screen. 10.gif3.gif

------------

Isn't the "D" model one of the supercharged versions?

No. The A model had the Allison engine. The B model introduced the Packard/Rolls Royce engine and the D model introduced the tear-drop canopy, which makes it pretty easy to pick out.

------------

I remember seeing a Mustang in the movie '1941' (John Belushi).

Actually, they used the P-40, which is historically accurate. The P-40 used the same engine as the P-51A, but was about 25 mph slower due to aerodynamics! The P-51 only came about because of the P-40 though. The British approached North American (NA) to have them produce the P-40 under license. NA said phooey to that, we'll build you a better aircraft. The Brits said fine, but we'll need a prototype in 120 days. The P-51 rolled out 117 days later (albeit with the landing gear from a T-6 Texan trainer and no engine - thanks to the P-40's higher priority). Meanwhile, the F-22 has been in development for 23 years!!!!

------------

That movie was a fairly corny affair but the cinematography was stunning and the gags were pretty funny. I think that Slim Pickens (as "Hollis Wood") really stole the show in that movie.

Agreed.....

Jeff