New Amp From the Guy in Hong Kong

Vital

----------------

On 5/21/2004 12:47:20 AM Vital wrote:

How do you guys think this thing will sound? Also what is a good price for something like this? He has a reserve.

----------------

Difficult to say on the price. Funny thing is it looks like it has a volume control on the right had side as you look at the picture - not a common feature on a power amp - maybe it is something else.

60W - class A!! That is impressive if true - and I am not sure it can be. My previous KT88 amp with 2 tubes per side was 45 wpc and that was going heavily into AB. Even with 4 tubes per side I cant get 60 wpc class A.

From the looks, the design and the specs this has got to be worth $500 - maybe a lot more.

Thx for the reply. Everything this guy has built so far has great feedback so it may be worth a shot. I'm going to ask him what his reserve is. I know a few members here really like his preamp for $250.00.

I wouldn't give that jerk the time of day, much less my money! This is the same idiot that my brother (jt1stcav) has been dealing with for the past 4-6 months, just on trying to get his amp after shelling out over 500 bucks.

If you feel like giving someone a bunch of money then waiting several months to get something that might not even work, or be the wrong one, go for it.

Not to mention that amp looks cheap.

He states "push pull" in the add, to me that means class A/B, nothing wrong with that, my amp is an A/B and it sounds great. I am carefull about who I send my money to. I won't even buy something from someone who won't take credit cards. With a credit card if you get burned, you can dispute it with the CC co. and have some recourse but with a Cashiers check or the like, you are out the money. I have trouble with sending money overseas. You have to be VERRY trusting........ and LUCKY! 2.gif

cable,

I dont think that is right. Push pull and class A are separate issues. My amp, is both push pull (well ultralinear) and class A up to a point, at which it switches over to AB operation. I was not disputing that an amp could be both PP and Class A - merely the level at which it claims to be able to retain class A. 60 WPC is a hell of a lot - there are few amps that can go that high and retain class A operation.

I've heard only good things about this guys amps.

Chops, didn't jt1stcav get his preamp already? I seem to rememeber him posting something about it a few months ago & he raved about.

I also remember KH (mobilehomeless) saying some very positive things about this guys work.

Push-pull has nothing to do with it's class of operation. Single-ended amps, by their very nature, are class A. But a PP amp can be class AB1, AB2, A, B, whatever. It just depends on where the bias point is set.

I'm considering buying some amps from this guy but he doesn't seem to be making any monoblocks, which is what I would prefer in class A since I have an odd number (3) of speakers to drive, possibly 5 in the near future with rear channels

I might also add that he has been slowly increasing prices, which basically means, he's selling more than he can build and that he probably has more satisfied customers than unsatisfied ones. But I have to agree, I don't like buying anything from overseas, especially without a credit card. No recourse.

Looks very nice for the money. I should be from the show me state, the way I have to see everything to believe it, if he does accept PayPal, that is the only way I buy it, I dont care about watts with tube amplifiers, I care about 4-ohm taps, and power rating into 4 and 2-ohms, in other words, if it is 60 watts into 8, then is it 90 watts into 4, or 120 watts into 2-ohms? How well will it control the woofers low impedances? That is what you need, NOT sheer power. BTW, your system profile doesnt tell us anything about your music tastes or room. Ask to talk to references. If he does deliver right away, there is no way I would pay full price up front, I dont even like paying in advance at Burger King!5.gif

----------------

On 5/21/2004 9:31:30 AM artto wrote:

I've heard only good things about this guys amps.

Chops, didn't jt1stcav get his preamp already? I seem to rememeber him posting something about it a few months ago & he raved about.

I also remember KH (mobilehomeless) saying some very positive things about this guys work.

----------------

I never said anything about his work quality. Yes, he got the preamp, but he hasn't recieved the amp yet. And now he just found out that it probably won't be until the end of NEXT MONTH before he gets the dumb thing.

Like I said, if you want to dump over 500 bucks and wait HALF A YEAR to recieve it, then go for it.

Everyone here who knows me knows I received Edmund Lam's $245 Model Q4B SRPP line stage preamp 2 months after I won his auction, and his quality of work is better than expected for a DIY unit built in his home. It looks good, fit and finish is far better than the AMC tube preamp I owned previously, and best of all (especially with my NOS RCA/Mullard tubes) it sounds great (even chops admitted to that...it was first connected to his audio system before it reached mine, and operated flawlessly...still does). Granted, it's not the end-all, be-all in tube preamps, but it's far better than anything I've previously owned!

I took a chance and bought the BEZ 6SN7-based pre after reassurance from DeanG about the unit he owned at the time (paulparrot has since purchased it), and Kelly also had great things to say about it's circuit design. I was so impressed with what Edmund did that I decided to go for his Model T3B 300B Class-A SE power amp, at $550 shipped via surface (slow boat from China, heh). Another 2 months I finally receive the 300B amp, but it's deader than a doornail (we assume he mistakenly sent me a 220V version instead of the 110V; the fuse was never blown...regardless, it never fired up). So I e-mailed Edmund; he has a 90 day warranty and will replace the defective amp for a new replacement T3B at no charge. I pack it back up and send it via air ($149), in which he gets it 10 days later. As promised, he sends me another replacement 300B at no charge, but weeks turn into months, and still no amp! I contact Edmund again and explain to him that I never received the replacement, that it somehow must have gotten lost during shipment! Edmund does stand by his word, and promises to send to me yet a 3rd T3B 300B power amp, and he proves his sincerity in his latest e-mail by providing me with a scanned jpeg of the China Post surface shipping receipt, dated April 25th (assuming it'll take about 2 months to arrive, I'll see it by the end of June).

What torqued chops was the fact that in Edmund's prior e-mail he said he'd send my latest replacement amp via economy air post, and that I should receive it between 2-3 weeks. Well, it's over 4 weeks now, and in Edmund's last e-mail (with the enclosed jpeg image of the receipt), it clearly shows that he either forgotten or deliberately sent my replacement amp via surface. Also, chops feels he should reimbuse me for the $149 I spent to have the defective amp sent via air back to him in Hong Kong. Also, Edmund claimed that the defective T3B was indeed 110V, and that it worked for him perfectly once he hooked it up on his bench! Regardless, my outlook is still positive. Despite all the setbacks, I still feel Edmund Lam builds good quality tube components at affordable prices. He may not use the latest, greatest caps or transformers, his silkscreened letters are sloppy, and his RCA output jacks on his amp aren't heavy duty gold-plated jacks like on his preamp. But if his amplifiers are anywhere near as great sounding as his 6SN7 SRPP preamp, then this BEZ Model T9A-2 Class-A KT88 PP power amp should be quite the find at an affordable price!

Just my 2 cents worth...

Jim you threw in more than two cents there! Boy, I hope you get your amp soon. Like many of us here I have been following your tale of woe over the past few months. Like your brother, chops, said you've been round and round and up and down on this one. No one could blame you if you copped an attitude against Edmund, that you haven't is a tribute to patience.

Here is a toast to you, Jim,that your replacement amp comes in in one piece and sounds great on your Cornwalls.3.gif

Rick

Thank you, Rick...I appreciate that!

It has been very frustrating, but I really do want this amp. Edmund has near excellent feedback on eBay, so that says something. Others are receiving their BEZ components and like what they're getting...I've only seen one unit being sold on AudiogoN, so most are keeping what they've bought. My situation is an isolated incident, I believe, and it's costing Mr. Lam up the ying-yang to ship replacement amps my way (I hope he insures his shipments so he can at least collect on the lost 300B). I'd hate to lose my $550, but if I don't receive even the 2nd replacement amp, I'm sure Edmund will grant my request for a full refund (it's not my fault any of this happened in the first place)!

----------------

On 5/21/2004 9:31:30 AM artto wrote:

I'm considering buying some amps from this guy but he doesn't seem to be making any monoblocks, which is what I would prefer in class A since I have an odd number (3) of speakers to drive, possibly 5 in the near future with rear channels

----------------

Artto, I stumbled across a Chinese website months ago with BEZ tube amps and preamps (the site no longer exists, unfortunantly), and he does build Class-A monoblocks:

Bez T4D 300b monoblocks.jpg

I don't know the tube compliment...I believe they are tube rectified like his other stereo amps (5U4G, 5Z4G, etc.), plus use cats eye tubes to monitor clipping levels. The now defunkt website was all in Chinese natch, so I don't know the specs or prices.

You could e-mail Edmund Lam (aka: Lam Ying Wing, eBay user ID: zagger1, e-mail: edmund_l39@hotmail.com) with questions...I think if you ask, he'll sell 'em to you outright. Edmund does answer his e-mails, despite his so-so English, and does accept PayPal and Western Union.

post-11084-13819255206312_thumb.jpg