Can the grills be left off?

Skidmarks

A bit of a silly question, but I am a new owner of the RF7 line , and I like the look with the grill covers off. However I have a friend who instructed me not to leave them off? I asked him why , his response was in general you should never leave the covers off any speakers , in time it will weaken the foam and rubber?

Not that he has any prior expirience with Klipsch, in fact he had never heard of them, just all speakers in general was his reply.

I just thought I would ask the pros.

IMHO the only reason to remove the grills is because I have never seen or heard of any grill which is truely 100% acoustically transparent. I always seem to be able to hear some difference althought IMO any differences are usually extremely marginal.

In the 30+ years I've been involved with audio, as well pro musical instrument amplifiers/speakers I've never heard anything about it affecting the "foam and rubber" (surround/suspension I suspect is what he's referring to). Sounds like someone's unqualified "personal theory" to me.

However as previously mentioned, they do provide some damage protection to the drivers, to a certain extent.

Leave them off if you don't have little kids running around or a big dog that wags its tail alot.

I have the grills off all my speakers. I guess I just like looking at the horns.

Every once in awhile I'll take a T shirt and wipe the dust out of the horns.

I could see if your speakers were facing a window and gets alot of sunlight it maybe an issue.

I leave the grills on my speakers in the car.

I have also read some reviews on different kinds of speakers that also said that they liked the sound better with the grills off.

I can't hear any difference, just like the look.

Danny

Yeah, the sunlight exposure might have some impact Danny. I forgot about that. Although I must admit, the foam surround of the Nakamichi & Infinities in my old S10 Blazer eventually deteriorated to virtually nothing. Maybe it had to do with the heat & cold too.

I agree with arto. Those grills do not seal any part of the face of your RF-7. They are open on the top and bottom. Either leaving the covers on or off will have no effect on the "Foam surrounds" of your speakers. Tell your friend to put the bong away for a while and do as you see fit. I would recommend leaving them on because it keeps foreign matter from bumping into you cone and damaging them but other than that its up to you. Assuming you keep them out of direct sunlight.

LOL to the Bong comment.

I do not have little kids running around "yet", so I will leave them off ..I get tired of taking them off every time a friend asks to see the horn and cone materials. Besides they add something to the crib, I figure if Im gonna take up that much space in the entertainment room , it might as well look good.

Thanks guys for the help.

I actually asked Kipsch a while ago for my SB-3's and they said light won't lead to premature wear of the cone or surround. So light won't affect them but I m sure that heat could. If your speakers are close to a furnace vent you should probably move them . the heat could dry the surrounds out over time.6.gif

scp53

The grille cloth prevents the bombardment of excessive photon energy which, over time and with increased molecular activity and friction, may begin to loosen the surrounds (are they foam or butyl rubber?)1.gif

As all have said, it's not going to do anything to take the grilles off. I used to do that before each listening session, and put them back on again to keep dust off (my mom taught me that dust is a bad thing to have around!). Older drivers used to use untreated foam that would dry out over time, but most modern speakers use improved materials.

I agree that speakers sound better without the extra bit of fabric as an obstruction. I'm contemplating the same thing with my Klipschorns, but just haven't been brave enough to remove the vintage factory cloth and logo!

• 2 weeks later...

The better the tweeter, the more noticeable the grill, the better the wide angle dispersion, the more noticeable the grill, the younger the audience, children included, the more noticeable the grill

Take them off for critical listening, leave them on for protection, what he said about aging is bunk though

10.gif

where in Fla?

• 4 weeks later...

Milton in Tampa here!

Premature aging of rubber surrounds due to air exposure is a myth. However, direct radiating sunlight WILL break down the surrounds much faster. If your speakers are away from any direct sunlight source, you should be fine.

Milton

• 1 year later...

skidmarks,when i built my cornerhorns in 1976 i put the top grills on for awhile ,but i took them of to see if i could hear the difference,big time!!! anything directly in front of a horn will have a tendency to reflect sound waves back up the horn !!!grill cloth is mainly for looks,i ended up tossing mine out ,if you like the sound that way ,its because ,they sound better that way,i say leave them of,good luck and rock on ,mike/mwb157.