RC-35 sounds muffled

ssfull

OK, I have an Rc-35 center channel. It is approx 6 ft off the ground and actually a little to high. This speaker , for the price does not impress me that much . It sounds muffled most of the time. Some cd's and music are Ok, but watching movies , the dialog is just not loud and clear enough. I have the center channel output increased on my reciever more than the other speakers( Onkyo Ts-Sr600 )All other speaker are Klipsch ref. series , but this one is the only one that does not imppress me. Can most of my problem be from the speaker placement ? I was thinking of actually hanging the speaker and angleing it down toward the listener. Would this help ?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some troubleshooting ideas --

Unhook the wires at the receiver, double-check for polarity, and reconnect, making sure all connections are clean and secure.

Repeat for the speaker end.

Hook the center channel to one of the outputs for a front main -- see how it sounds playing a music CD.

Replace the speaker wire from the center channel output to the speaker itself.

Using analog cables? In that unlikely event, replace the center channel signal cable from your DVD player to your receiver, or switch it all over to a digital cable.

Throw in cursing and drinking as you see fit. I find that they help.

At this point you've determined whether you've got a faulty connection, a faulty center channel output, a faulty speaker wire, a faulty signal cable, or a faulty speaker. You're now set to replace the offending component and go back to enjoying your system.

Well for starters the RC-35 is a pretty crumby sounding speaker, IMO Klipsch really blew it because there is no current decent center channel for the RF-35s now.

Try what other suggest but if these dont work then try what I did, I sold my RC-35 and bought an RC-3II , not the greatest center either but leaps better than the RC-35 IMO.

Mains Rcw-5 , surrounds rs-35 , sub velodyne Cht-15 , reciever Onkyo tx-sr600 , dvd player onkyo dv-sp500. Had to use in walls in the front due to the room , no place for floor standing speakers. Happy with the mains , center channel is what I have a problem with. Can anyone else recommend a good center? I was looking at the rs3II, or the klf-c7.

Thanks

Hi

The center chanel has a adjusting foot so you can angle it down. Mine is about 6 feet up and I have it angled down so it was directed a little better. At times the center can sound lower, I have my center and rears a little hotter then the rest of my speaks. About 2 db higher for the center and maybe one db for the rears.

Good luck!

So now there are two opinions that the rc35 sounds muffled, just when i was set to get one for my forte IIs so i could have a warranty. Anyone else out there have the same opinion, and does the rc 7 also have issues? Is that oiled oak academy still for sale plummer?

"So now there are two opinions that the rc35 sounds muffled, just when i was set to get one for my forte IIs so i could have a warranty. Anyone else out there have the same opinion, and does the rc 7 also have issues? Is that oiled oak academy still for sale plummer?"

OK the RC 7 is a very good sounding speaker however, if you want the best sound out of your center channel match it exactly to your mains. I know this is often difficult to do. Now for matching your Fortes I would consider the Academy if you cannot accommodate another Forte and I would steer away fro adding a Reference Center to a Extended Heritage main compliment, just as I would steer away from adding a Heritage center to a Reference main compliment. There is a significant timbre mismatch trust me I know this first hand.

I agree the RC 3 II is a better sounding center than the RC 35 and I also agree both of them are somewhat under performing units. They would serve better as surrounds than they do as centers IMO. Your center channel in an HT rig is one of the most important selections you can make as up to 70% of the sound track can be carried there so it is critical in an HT configuration. So like I said before matching your center to your mains as closely as possible is really the best option you have. IMO anything less is a compromise until you can do so.

I agree with Darren and gcoker. The RC-35 does sound fuller but not as crisp/clear when compared to the RC3II. As a result, it seems to benefit from brighter amplification. I am now running my RC-35 upstairs with my Yamaha receiver. Unfortunately, the rest of the Klipsch line does not benefit from brighter amplification. I would not go so far as to say the RC-35 is a bad speaker; it just might not live up to the standards of some of the speakers in the Reference line.

As for the RC-7, it is a superior center. Excellent speaker, and if you give it enough space in the rear, it benefits from running it at full range.

I have also owned a KLF-C7. Steps ahead of both the RC-35 and RC3II in output and sound quality, but no match for a RC-7.

Carl.

Hey cjgeraci

Would you recommend that I spend the money on the RC-7 , or maybe get the KLF-C7 ? I am watching an auction for the KLF-C7 and can probably get it alot cheaper than the RC-7. How do they compare in physical size ?

I would need to sell the RC-35 and want to replace it for approx the same price or as close as possible( wife will throw a fit if I spend to much!! ) Been fighting that issue all along the way of building my H/T .

Thanks

----------------

On 6/3/2004 9:51:21 AM ssfull wrote:

Would you recommend that I spend the money on the RC-7 , or maybe get the KLF-C7 ? ......

----------------

Well.....

First, I understand your spending constraints. Hate to say it, but in special circumstances, often it is best that your significant other just does not completely (or accurately) know what you spend for a given piece of equipment. "Oh yeah, I got a great deal on that....."

That being said, those constraints aside, I would opt for the RC-7 for two reasons. First, the titanium tweeter in the RC-7, while not a perfect match to your RCW-5s, is a better voice match than the polymer tweeter/horns in the KLF-C7. In my experience the titanium tweeters were always a bit brighter or more forward than the tweeter/horns from the Legend series. Especially for HT, it is important to have your front array matched as closely as possible for a seamless movement of dialogue, etc. Second, the RC-7 is a better speaker. Just how much better ($$$-wise) is really hard to quantify because it depends on what you can get both for. The KLF-C7 is also a very fine center. I would not worry about either center "overpowering" your mains because all of the speakers' volume should be set with a Radio Shack meter anyway.

Now, there is size. Both the KLF-C7 and the RC-7 are very, very big and are very close in size. The KLF-C7 is 11"X27"X9" (a little taller) and weighs 38 pounds, and the RC-7 is 9"X26"X12" (a little deeper) and weighs 42 pounds. So.....before you do anything, I would make a cardboard box mockup to see if you think the significant other would think the center is too large for your room. I have been there. Most of my larger Klipsch and SVS stuff I have downstairs would never be allowed by my wife in our family room so, as a result, I have smaller Klipsch and Axiom speakers in my living room (and a HSU sub). The other day, I even moved my SVS PB2-ISD to my family room, and unfortunately, it did not meet with approval from the wife. 8.gif

If you find that either the KLF-C7 or the RC-7 are too large, I really think that a RC3II would be your best option. You may be able to find one used (or even new) on e-bay. I like the RC3II as a center, and one still sits as my rear center in my primary system. The preference for the KLF-C7 or the RC-7 comes from wanting to have the best center you can since it is such a staple of your HT.

Carl.

Thanks alot for your help Carl. I certainly appreciate it. I might just opt for the rc-3II since I can probably break even $$$$ with the sale of the RC-35 .

Oh , and on the wife subject , I have defenitely used your technique . If she new how much I have invested in all my comonents,wiring , etc. I would probably be on the verge of divorce !!! HAHa

Thanks again