Samuel Barber: Adagio for Strings

"the Adagio ends with some resolution, not complete, of the shifting mournful chords used throughout. You don't get the whole effect in sound bites."

What an excellent description! It's the sheer economy of the ending, not the 'here comes the end and it's going to be a fulfilling and dramatic (and obvious) conclusion' that makes it a very stirring and provocative work of art. This may sound like an odd comparison to some, but the piece reminds me a little of the painting of Marc Rothko -- or poetry by ee cummings. One doesn't get punched in the face with a grand finale' whallop of an ending. It't that characteristic that makes it such a powerful work, I think.

I'd go listen to it again right now, but my work-tired wife is already in bed. We get up too early every day!

edit: Kimber cable: I've looked around at prices for bulk Teflon insulated silver clad copper and copper wire, and I think it would honestly be less expensive to buy an actual Kimber cable instead of try to do a DIY version. I'm getting lazy. Plus, it would be an absolute pain in the bu-- to try to figure out the braid, not to mention result in aching hands. I've done that before and don't want to again. So, I think either lower-end Nordost or Kimber 4TC will be something I might like to try when I can. I've been making my own cables for the past 10 years or so, so don't mind treating myself to this!

It was also played at the 9/11 mass & ceremony in NYC shortly after 9/11.

Many years ago when my mother passed away, just before leaving for the funeral I put this piece on the CD player, and put it on repeat, leaving play over & over until I came back & this somber once in a lifetime event was over. At the time I had no idea that it had been used so frequently for similar purposes and situations by so many others. I think its a great tribute to the composer that this work invokes such a powerful and similar response in so many people.

I hate do admit my sometimes gullability, but I gotta say that for an eerie but in a good way, emotional piece, "Amazing Grace" played by bagpipes is probably the ticket in my book...

I don't find bagpipes much good for anything else, though...

DM

I have another version of this arranged for chorus. It is an amazing piece.

Its on the Telarc "Evocation of the Spirit" CD #80406. Performed by the Robert Shaw Festival Singers. The actual title of this is "Angus Dei". The piece is vocal only and to listen to it in a quiet near dark room is quite moving. First heard it on NPR station KUAR.

BTW:

60 Minutes did run a piece Sunday that had the Adagio playing as they scrolled thru all of the 800 dead American troops from Iraq. I think the most moving photos were of the troops at home with their newborn children before being sent to Iraq....

God Bless America.....Again!

Erik,

www.audioadvisor.com has a configurable selection of Kimber speaker cables. Their factory terminations are excellent; I have heard my own 4TC, and the base 4PR. I have read that the 8TC is quite a step above the 4TC, but at $328 per 10-foot pair, I couldn't quite justify it at the time.

I read really good things about Kimber's interconnects, as well; but something about the Nordosts has always appealed to me. I have compared them with several other types, and they win out for overall tranparency and realism.

...this has become a nice little launching pad for several discussions this evening, eh?

Barber's Adagio was also used in:

Lorenzo's Oil (1992)

The Elephant Man (1980)

I'll Remember April (1999)

and probably others as well.

used for J.F.K funeral, F.D.R. funeral

It just fits those large somber moments, when words don't quite make the grade. Music like that just surpasses what our brains comprehend, to penetrate the soul.

Marvel

Totally agree, Marvel.

Ok! I've got new speaker cables on the right-now-just-a-little-distant-horizon, but some new music hopefully by this afternoon. I've got some more chores around the house this a.m., but then will zoom out to Barnes and Noble and or Borders to see if I can find some of this locally.

Some modern music of a similar nature: Brian Eno's 'Ambient Music' I have all of it, and it can be somber at times, indeed. But very good, nonetheless!

Some of the album (I mean CD!) titles:

Music for Airports

Music for Films

On Land

Ambient 2 "Plateaux of Mirror"

My local retailer would like to thank you guys for this thread. I have a copy of Adagio for Strings on a compilation disc but this sparked my interest to try some more Barber stuff.

Picked up a Telarc disc by the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra called Music of Samuel Barber. Only listened to it in my truck, but I can say it's a very dynamic recording. Had it cranked to hear the soft parts, then blown out the windows on the louder parts. Just the way I like it for home listening. It will be fun on the Forte's.

It would have been great if I stopped there, but no. Also finally picked up the Norah Jones LP on Blue Note (currently spin'n).

And found a used DSOTM on Harvest LP. Time for another Dark Side shoot out on the Forte's.9.gif

FYI and FWIW, I think I've tracked down a fine performance of the Adagio on CD, after LOTS of listening to samples on towerrecords.com that I wasn't very happy with, and comparing with versions I already had. It is by Leopold Stokowski and his Symphony Orchestra, on EMI Classics 5-74768-2, a repackaged album called "Favourite Adagios."

Other recordings I like are an unfortunately grainy, noisy, 1942 Toscanini recording, and I Musici's very fine version on an old Phillips LP. However, I believe Stokowski worked his special magic in pulling out exceptional emotionality and beautiful string tone, and generating a very integrated interpretation from his orchestra. I'll have the CD at Indy.

Larry

• 5 years later...

I brought this back because of a very interesting article on the universality and genius of the Adagio in last Thursday's NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/arts/music/07barber.html?scp=1&sq=adagio%20for%20strings&st=cse.

It is a genuine work of genius and almost unheard-of universality, belonging everywhere from concert halls, non-classical performing groups, to background music in the movie Platoon. It's the pre-eminent choice by the media to play when someone who truly affects the people passes away.

It is one of those rare works of genius that transcends almost anything else the composer, or any composer, wrote. Although it's only one movement of a 4-movment string quartet, Barber found it impossible to write a movement that could follow it. “From the depths of the Adagio ... it was evident he was struggling to find some kind of uplifting resolution. It’s striking that he couldn’t do it.”

Indeed, I haven't heard anything else by Barber that comes close to it. IMO, there's not a lot by anyone that does.

(played in London by the BBC Orchestra right after 9/11)