Receiver Recommendation Please

I bought a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls in 1965 along with a Kenwood KA 6000 amp and KT 7000 tuner. Once I purchased this system I was happy and lost touch with the hi-fi/stereo world.

I just bought a Pioneer DV-C505 dvd/cd player and now need to buy a new (stereo) receiver to match the Cornwalls. Can someone recommend a stereo receiver that is a good match for the Cornwalls in the $300 to 700 range? I am not rich but need a receiver to drive the Cornwalls and another pair of speakers in a secondary room.

Two receivers I have looked at are the Yamaha RX 777 and the Denon DRA 685. Both seem acceptable, but is one a better match for the Cornwalls, or is there something else I should look at?

Thanks for any guidance.

Sleepin, you might laugh, but right now I am listening to a Harman Kardon 630 driving a set of Khorns in my den, and a set of Heresys in the kitchen, and it sounds great for a solid state receiver. You can get a H/K twin powered receiver for this setup in the door for under $100, and it will sound as good as many "modern" $1000 receivers from Best Buy. The selectable speaker buttons are pretty convenient.

You should be able to demo either of your choices, and you may be surprised that your current stereo already sounds good. The older iron often was built with more attention to quality components. Good luck!

If you're only looking for 2 channel, try to find a used Nakamichi TA-3 or TA-4. One of the best recivers ever produced. (I may be slightly biased) :)

Seriously, I've had a TA-2, listened to new recievers and amps, and bought a used TA-4. Big, clean, quiet power.

I have NOT seriously auditioned a lot of the chinsty new modern receivers with my big ole horns (used to have walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossovers), but the few I have could NOT hold a tea candle to my vintage solid-state harmon/kardon 330B or Nikko receivers for quietness, snap and almost tube-like feeling, definitely a good match, almost as good as a tube front-end! That would be my first solid-state choice. Otherwise I would look at new Cayin, ASL integrated tube amplifiers or NOSvalues refurbished integrated tube amplifiers. Horns, you may know, love tubes!4.gif

Oh, and newbie, please go ahead and post your room dimensions, music tastes and components of your home movie and music reproduction system in your profile that way, we can look it up and give you expert advice.

Sorry for not posting the room dimensions. The room is 15' by 20' with 10' ceilings that vault to about 12 to 15'. I primarily listen to classical, jazz and old pop (Sinatra) or ballad music.

I can't believe all the help people are freely giving here. Thanks!

Sleepin': if you must have a "new" unit, so be it. However, I can think of absolutely no good reason to buy a new, 2 channel receiver, when you can get much more for your hard earned dollar, and MUCH better sound, by purchasing a vintage unit. Since you're running efficient Cornwalls, you don't need alot of power. However, you need CLEAN power in the first watt of output of your receiver. Frankly, I don't think that this can be had for $300, and possibly not even $700, with today's 2 channel receivers.

My reccomendations will be vintage equipment, most of which can be had for $100 or less, and all for certainly less than $200. They may need to have swtches/pots cleaned, bulbs replaced, etc. It may even be worth your while if you have some minor work done to the unit: bias adjusted, tuner aligned, etc. Even with the possibility that some units might need work, you likely will still come in less than $300 or $400.

Here are my suggestions:

Harman Kardon HK 430 or 730: I own this one as well, and LOVE it with Klispch. The amp section in this unit rivals some sepeate amps that I have heard. Good preamp section, better in the 730, and the 730 has more inputs.

Marantz 2220B or 2230: great little receivers, nice preamp and tuner sections, GREAT amp sections. I own the 2220B and LOVE it with Klipsch

For seperates, or maybe to replace your Kenwood integrated, try a Marantz 1060. Lower power (30 WPC) but SWEET sound. Frankly, I'd hang on to that tuner, maybe have it serviced/aligned if necessary. Pair it with a 1060 which can be found in good working order on Ebay for less than $100, or sometimes less than $200 already completely cleaned and serviced.

YUour tuner may be worthy of an alignment and really quite nice.

Research in www.fmtunerinfo.com

I remember several of the early "KT" series to get very good reviews, if not excellent.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you want new for an amp look at an NAD.

I would shy away from reveivers. The ICs for the digital tuner section just have the likelyhood of adding noise to the amp.

If open to used.

Try a few $ 100 integrateds off of E Bay. I have 3 Denons I ilke.

There are some Class "A" amps to be had used as well.

AND

there alwys a tube amp.....

I agreed with Craig without even looking at the end of the thread.

Scary stuff.

NAD

A company that has specialized in 2 channel integrateds for over 20 years needs to be considered very competent.

Never a bad review

Great website

http://www.nadelectronics.com/hifi_amplifiers/C372_framset.htm

I avoid recievers as serious 2 channel unless they have a non digital tuner (vintage Marantz or Sansui)

I just finished reading a VERY interesting "shoot-out" between the old vintage H/K 430 twin-powered stereo receiver and a brand-new H/K AVR 430 over at the Audio Asylum vintage section. It kinda gives one an insight into the differences between the vintage model with its "paltry" conservatively-rated 25 wpc and the new "with all the bells and whistles" multi-channel H/K AVR 430 namesake with its apparently over-rated 7X65 wpc!

Check it out! 2.gif

Yamahas are nice, clean, but they do not apply any extra boost to the bass. Good with large diameter woofers.

HK is also a respected brand.

I got rid of my perfectly good Denon as it did not compare favorably to the new Yamaha of the same wattage...

DM

Somebodys gotta HELP! I have been shopping all day, reading the various online reviews and am more confused than ever. Seems just like 38-40 years ago...and I'm tired. Here are the choices I am down to:

1. Denon DRA 685 $265

2. harman/kardon HK 3480 $294

3. Yamaha RX 777 $443

4. Yamaha RX 596 $350

Please, please give me your thoughts as to the best value for someone with Cornwalls, a 2nd pair of speakers I can't remember the name of now, Pioneer (new) dvd/cd plsyer and a turntable.

Fellas, I gotta get a remote or a divorce and, trust me here, a remote is much less expensive!

(Thanks.)

the sub $1k AVR with a consumer grade DVD player is not the ideal way to show off Cornwalls. This combo is what generates many of the Klipsch bashing on other forums as there can be moments of piercing highs.

Many like the vintage gear but I would want those items fully checked out and updated as necessary or they can be out of spec and unreliable money pits....the H/K ss receiver may be easier to find in good shape but those early 60's/late 50's tube amps will certainly require restoration that needs to be factored into the price....like an old car it's a better value to buy one that has already gone through the NOS Valves (or similar) restoration process as ebay plus professional restoration > resale price unless you can get a $300 or less unit that doesn't need much work.

There are a few modern low price tube vendors like Dodd Audio that might be worth checking out. They may not have that vintage sound (veiled highs and boomy bass) but it may be hard to fine a $500 solution w/phono.

My Cornwalls had good results with a sub $500 vintage Scott integrated amp w/phono until it blew a transformer....I liked it better than my Outlaw 1050 AVR which is a great unit compared to other sub $500 modern SS AVRs. In general I found Cornwalls hungry for a much better source and amplification.