Equipment giveaway contest

Arkytype

Fellow Forum members:

My collection of audio and acoustical measuring equipment now totals over thirty pieces of gear. Rather than sell the items I've phased out in the past few months, I've decided to offer a complete measurement package to one lucky winner and some single instruments to the 2nd and 3rd place finishers of a writing contest.

The contest is simple: Submit an original, well-written "equipment grant" to me via e-mail, fax or snail mail by the July 15th entry deadline.

Your "grant" will be judged on originality, substance and grammar (please use spell check!). Length of the grant should be at least 500 words but not more than 2500 words.

An example of a "grant" title would be: "Bass performance vs. loudspeaker placement". You would write up how the measurement package would be used to verify your initial assumption or to quantify a certain aspect of the room/loudspeaker interaction.

The Grand Prize package will include at least a measuring microphone and preamp, a General Radio SPL meter, a sweep/ function generator, an X-Y plotter, an RMS voltmeter and a logarithmic amplifier. Winners will be responsible for shipping charges up to $50.00 (I'll cover anything over that).

Four well-known and qualified Forum members will act as the judging panel. By submitting your entry, you give permission for all or part of your entry to be posted on the Klipsch Forum. The decision of the judges will be final.

While the lucky Grand Prize winner won't be required to post their measurement results on the Forum, they will be harassed unmercilessly by fellow Forum members until they do!

I'll post a list and pics of the actual equipment to be given away soon. So get your creative juices flowing.

Here's my contact info for contest entries.

Lee Clinton

P. O. Box 591

Conway, AR 72033-0591

lclinton@aetn.org

Fax: 501-351-0312 (be sure to address the fax to me)

So.... Your saying a paper simply stating "I thiNK, i shood win bEcaws i'M kool" would not do so well? 2.gif

Just joking with ya... Just do all us non winners a favor and post all the papers! Would be a very good read. 1.gif

I certainly hope that Arky will publish all of the equipment grant applications, either before or after it is entirely up to him however: it is ball and his ball game.

Hear the one about the old lady who went up to the Pope and said he cant pass laws about sex?

She said, you no playa da game, you no maka da rules!

Moon, you chanass is jest as gud as inee bodes Lsays, aboat da same as winin da loterry!

9.gif

The judges shall remain anonymous until after the contest is over. They may then choose to (or not to) identify themselves.

Posting the contest entry papers for everyone to see is a good idea. Space permitting, that'll be done after the winners are announced.

As for the "grant" aspect, just think of your entry as a letter to Santa Claus. Now, I don't care if you've been naughty or nice, but the judges want to know what you intend to measure with the equipment, how you will measure it and (as a suggestion) how the measurement information gained will help other forum members.

Obviously, a paper titled "How to measure the frequency response of my Heresy" probably won't wow the judges as much as a more unique approach to conventional measurements or a new off-the-wall measurement idea.

The sweep function generator can provide a single or swept sinewave signal to your power amplifier. The generator will also drive the X or frequency axis with a 0 to 10 VDC synchronized to the sweep frequency.

The Behringer microphone and preamp, after sampling the output of your loudspeaker, will feed the log amplifier which drives the Y or vertical axis of the X-Y plotter. That way, you can plot a 20--20,000 Hz frequency range on the horizontal axis and the vertical axis will be a logarthimic representation of the output signal. What you do with this useful measurement setup is limited by your imagination.

Part of the impetus for this contest is to interest the younger forum members who might be thinking of a career in engineering. Us old farts are set in our ways but are interested in new ways to skin a cat.

Lee

So does an old fart that just recently (last three years) started building projects count as a newby? I have to beg, borrow, steal and homestead to get measurements with my current project being the most challenging.

Besides - I have to come past Conway (or near there) 4 times or more a year....

Great idea.

----------------

On 6/3/2004 3:53:54 PM Arkytype wrote:

Feel free to stop in next time you're in town. My lab is your lab. Just keep your hands in your pockets!!

Lee
----------------

Hello Lee - Keeping my hands in my pockets got me a rather disturbing nickname when I was younger...

Headed to Oregon for a week in the morning (with my brother from Little Rock) and will give that storytelling a shot when I return.

WooHoo!!

I will not be entering because frankly I am not really enough of a TechnoFreak to really use the equipment on offer.

That said I will follow this contest closely!

Good Luck to those who really strive to own this equipment!

----------------

On 6/3/2004 11:52:46 AM WS65711 wrote:

My suggestion . . .

Keep the Judges identities a secret, and don't reveal the identities of

the contestants to the Judges until after the winning entries have been selected.

----------------

Good ideas, but I might take it a bit further, and not inform the winner until his wife comes and asks "What are all these packages I signed for today?"

Very nice (and fun) gesture there, Lee!