Fisher 800B for a song!!!!

Johnny dB

A friend of mine received a Fisher 800B from his local barber shop. The owner told him he paid $600 bucks or so for it, new back in '63. He shelved it back in the 80's, where it's sat in the back of the barber shop until my friend asked him about it. He gave it to him gratis with the only condition he use it and not sell it. Lucky duck!9.gif

Anyway, my friend was wondering the wattage of this amp and if it's worth a restore. I told him it was, but he's a tight @ss and only wants to drop around $200 getting this thing singing again. 14.gif

"song"..."barbershop"...

oh, I get it.

$200?

Bob Dole was asked the same question as was asked Bill Clinton: "Boxers or briefs?"

Bob Dole shrugged his shoulders, tilted his head and said, "Depends."

Well, anyway, it depends on what it needs. For sure, it should be slowly brought up to regular current voltage. No way to tell until it is benched. If it was me, I'd just plug it in and hope for the best. He can always fix what blows or take it back and say, "Thanks, but no thanks." Regardless, plug it in outside, just in case.

• 1 year later...

I've been amazed at the price of vintage 7591 tubes... some going on Ebay for more than $100 apiece. Have been listening to a 500B receiver with JJ Tesla 7591's and it sounds very good. I don't have the vintage 7591 for comparison, but for $15 each for current manufacture tubes, I'm not just dying with curiosity to pay the going rate for vintage.

Anyone have a take on the vintage 7591's?

This receiver makes Heresy's sing and not bass shy either.

BTW, the ability of forum members to make a thread simply groan with puns is amazing.