"matching serial numbers"

Coytee

ok...call me retentive, my wife does.

Just have a meandering wonderment...

people talk about having consecutive numbered speakers.

does that in FACT mean they were "side by side" coming down the assembly line?

Who's to say that the finished products dont go into "the inspection room" (mixed side by side) and then inspected & slapped with the sticker???

(be nice to me, I'm relatively new here)

1.gif9.gif

Well, the speakers are serially matched. It's easy to tell by the matching grain of the veneer on the speakers. You could easily tell if they weren't matched, well, except for the ones painted black.

HDBR tells us that the black ones were regular wood grained speakers that had a flaw in the grain and were delegated to the black paint job.

I'm quite sure that there were a few that slipped by that weren't perfect grain matches but I haven't see any yet!

I wouldn't get too worried about consecutive numbers out of the Klipsch factory; or any factory.

Now, I can see that items which are made at the same time may be well matched; or have the same flaws or lack of flaws. But is that really what is going on here?

The drivers and cross over components come out of a box from suppliers. There is no reason to think that they, themselves, are from the same production run. And we don't have any info to think there is tracability back to the supplier based on the sticker on the back of the speaker box.

Now that is not to say that Klipsch doesn't have QC or keeps track. But if the components meet spec, that is more important than serial numbers.

Gil

The big thing is matched speakers are no more or less valuable than any other properly operating Klipsch - unless they are both of great historical vintage AND worth the extra $$$ to YOU.

Having matched speakers is a pretty common thing, as Klipsch took great pride in having speakers looking great together, as well as sounding great!

The biggest issue with serial number matching is in the big Heritage speakers. Many of these look better grain matched when consecutively serial numbered. Other than that, there should be no issue with serial numbers that differ somewhat, as long as the speakers are of similar vintage. Some particular items can be worth more on the open market if consecutively numbered, especially on collectible pieces - like McIntosh MC-30's for example - which are rarely seen in consecutive numbers, as these were sold primarily in monaural systems - sold one amp at a time.

Well, I've always wondered this about consecutive serial numbers on Klipsch speakers, and now I feel confident I'm going to get a definitive answer:

For a speaker with an odd serial number, does the odd numbered speaker match the speaker with the serial number just before it or just after it? The same question applies to even numbered speakers, of course. Also, if someone orders 3 identical, matched, consecutively numbered speakers for the 3-channel stereo setup recommended by PWK, does that throw the numbering scheme off? 11.gif

I had aleays heard rumors that consecutive serial numbers were matched sets, cosmetically and sonically. Part of the rumor was if one of the pairs was defective, both were destroyed. I had called the plant once after purchasing my first surround system consisting of a Yamaha R9 receiver, MX35 2-4 ch amp, DSR-100PRO surround processor, Yamaha DVL-1000 CD/Laserdisc to ask if they had single Oak KG4s so I could purchase one for a center channel and was told they didn't sell single KG4s. I ended up using a "Dialogue" center speaker from Legacy with my front and rear Kg4s. I don't know if this supports the rumor, but if they're not destroyed, you'd think there would be one or two around to sell. I always look when an ebay sale says consecutive serial numbers and about 99% of the time the cabinet veneers match. I had noticed the bases on Kg4s din't always match. After looking at my own I realized, as with mine, the bases may have been removed and not re-oriented correctly when remounted.