Big Bands

mandi

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree with pretty much all that have been mentioned but I'd like to say that as far as recordings of big bands go, my favorite by far are the Sheffield Labs direct to disk recordings of Harry James. I'd swear I was right there. It's like you can walk up to Harry and touch his horn. Everything is extremely vivid and "right".

Unfortunately, these direct to disk LP's are no longer available (other than used). They have been reissued on CD, however the CD's were made from analog tape masters recorded concurrently with the direct to disk masters. The LP's are better, more believable.

I am not partial to any particular band. the reason who I like them is because it is real music. it has emotion, depth and character. Of course not to mention actual humans creating the sound. the sound of the brass,horns, woodwinds percussions and others creates delightful coordinating and complimentary sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Good point: Charles Mingus should be mentioned!

Also: three new cd reissues of Duke Ellington material from Columbia last week, one a fantastic trio album (Piano in the Foreground) and two fantastic big band albums (Blues in Orbit and Piano in the Background). Both the big band albums deserve recommendation here. Also they are well expanded for cd reissue and feature wonder DSD remastering.