Klipsch compared to Polk?

Pete Bishop

think brand name image but lower class. the synergy is good but polk doesn't have a system like klipsch where klipsch has the reference, synergy, heritage, commecial, etc etc while polk i think only has one line and there stuff is rather good but the synergy was made for a most cost effective speaker

They do have a 30 day return policy.

Honestly, the system you've just outlined is a seriously deficient one. BB knows that the SS surround speakers just don't sell unless they bundle them with the towers. The SF-1 towers are pretty weak too. If I had a $500 gift card from there, I'd spend it on the KSW-12 sub and go buy my speakers and receiver at a hifi shop that actually sells stuff below retail price. Audio is the worst thing in the world to buy at BB, because they don't give markdowns on anything other than their silly little badly-matched "packages" of gear they want to get rid of.

PS: I know this because I worked there for nearly two years. You really don't want to know some of the other horiffic stuff I know about their pricing tactics and policies...

Well said Griffinator.

Pete

With some careful shopping, and just a few extra $$ one may be able to get a Reference 15 series setup that will run circles around the top end Synergy pieces. In this hobby it's a pay me now or pay me later situation. Either you spend the $ it takes to get the good stuff up front, or you'll spend twice as much on the back end upgrading to what you should have bought to start with. Once the bug hits, it's impossible to avoid. I can predict you will be the victim of "the bug" with some amount of certainty based on the fact that your interest in the hobby is intense enough to have lead you to this forum! Just my $.02...1.gif

Jerry Rappaport

sell the $500 BB card to someone for like $475...then buy the klipsch speakers elsewhere at a non-ridiculous MSRP and get more speaker for your $$$$.

i hate it when people bash one brand over another without comparing specific models. saying polk is better than klipsch or the other way around is like saying mercedes is better than bmw without mentioning specific cars.

oh, sorry...i was just ranting. hehehe

BUY KLIPSCH!!!! 2.gif

To give some specifics, the klpsch speakers are far more efficient than the polks, so you will be able to drive them much louder than the polks with the same amp. I would buy klipsch, but probably not the synergy line. I would not buy the ksw12 sub, but you could definately get into an R15 reference system that will blow the synergy and polk away if you go to the right store and make friends with the salesman. Buy the whole system from one guy and he will give you discounts. Yeah... sell the BB card, Or maybe buy the receiver from them if you can find a decent one, and buy the speakers elsewhere. I squeazed into the reference... You can too! Get klipsch and don't look back. You will not be disapointed by how clean and tight sounding they are. And your ears will give up long before the speakers do! Good luck! 2.gif

Like Jay mentioned with the different lines, it's difficult to get an apples-to-apples comparison. I had some Polk bookshelf speakers in a bedroom system, and I liked them. I didn't like them as much as I liked the Heresies in the living room, but that's not apples to apples. It's more like kittens to ocelots.

I'm going to wander right into cliche here, but the only way for you to know what you like is going to be for you to hear them both. Using the 30-day return policy to get an in-home audition might be helpful.

In any case, good luck with your search, and welcome to the Forum.

----------------

On 6/18/2004 5:19:34 AM Griffinator wrote:

PS: I know this because I worked there for nearly two years. You really don't want to know some of the other horiffic stuff I know about their pricing tactics and policies...

----------------

I'd be really really really interested to hear about some of that.

We have a member on this forum. Kenratboy who works at BB. Send him a PM (private message) and I'm sure he'll give you some good advice. The problem, of course, is it's almost impossible to get a good listen at BB because their speaker rooms suck. Your ears are the final determinate of speaker choice and remember your two mains are the absolute most important part of the whole setup.

Put you money in the mains, because you'll also be playing music with these.

Finally, take them home, get them positioned right (plenty of help available here on placement, room acoustics, setup etc.), do what's know as critical listening with a movie/music you really know well. If you don't like them take them back and try another system. Don't feel guilty about a return, if BB did their job right you'd have a much better idea of what you liked before you left the store.

Pete,

I'm a newbie to this forum also, I have experience with both Polk and Klipsch. My one setup is a 7.1 Polk setup which provides decent sound especially for the deal I got on them. The Klipsch setup is not a fair comparison because its a ref. series and blows the Polks away. Long story short I don't hate either one. One company(Klipsch) makes higher end and try to make speakers more affordable, the other(Polk) makes affordable speakers and is trying to go higher end(LSi). Speakers are very subjective to opinion, I love the Klipsch Ref. series. The polks can be pretty good too(check out the RTi series). Listen and decide.

Yamaha receivers, depends on the model but I had a Yamaha hooked up to my Klipsch refs briefly and it sounded great. I still replaced it with a Denon though. Here opinions may be biased of course, but the bottom line is as many have said try and get into the Ref. line if at all possible. A friend of mine has a sweet Polk RTi setup but its no Klipsch ref. series. My opinion, take your favorite CD that you are familiar with and try both. P.S. BB sound room does suck. Hopefully the speakers and not the soundroom effect your judgement too much.