Need a preamp

gto6

I'm in the market for a preamp. I suffered long enough with a Carver CT17. I have Mcintosh mc30 amps(1958 or so) sitting on top of a pair of Khorns (1973). I'd like stay around $1200.00.....I've looked at the Mcintosh C34V. I liked the amount of inputs it offers. I have 2 tape decks, cd, dvd, phono and a vcr. I haven't looked at anything brand new yet.....I'd love to here your thoughts.....

Mark

The need for a full featured phono preamp naturally limits your options somewhat. However, Guy Landau continues to recommend the VTL Ultimate, and there is one for $1000 on Audiogon right now.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1091730971

$1200 also puts you in the market for an AI Modulas

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1091666786

Dean's recommendation for the VTL is pretty good within the price range you've mentioned.

If it were possible for you to stretch some more, Mark Deneen has got a demo Blueberry on Audiogon. Full warranty. I've heard this rascal and think if there were "better" options, it probably would be beyond my hearing to discern any difference anyway. To my ears, it's that good.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1092685348

What Daddy said, if you can get the extra dough. The BlueBerry has 4 line inputs and 2 phono inputs, so it would take care of everything you have except one tape deck, say. If you had to have everything connected, you could get a Radio Shack A/B switcher and hook both tape decks into it, then run the output from the switcher into the BlueBerry.

I would assume you'd also like to stay with McIntosh seeing how the C34V interests you. But if you like the MC30's vintage, maybe the McIntosh C22 tube preamp would be more to your liking. I don't know the differences in features between the two, or the difference in price, but if it were me, I certainly would like to stay with vacuum tubes throughout the chain...just my opinion, natch.

All the above recommendations thus far are all excellent choices and would do your Mac monoblocks proud. Maybe you'd also consider used tube preamps from conrad-johnson, Threshold, Audio Research, Rogue, Blue Circle, Cary, Manley, etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was set on buying a Mcintosh until I saw the VTL products. They look very well made. Is anybody using a VTL preamp that would care to share their thoughts on them.........sound, flexibilty and durability.....

thanks,

Mark

A review I just read on the (VTL) TL5.5 mentions a "a single ended line source". What exactly are they saying? Are they saying that it should be used with a dedicated system and works best when playing only cd's (ie:one source). I use my system with many different sources. Maybe I'm better suited with something that I can EQ?......

I'd also consider the Transcendent Sound GG preamp which is very open, neutral sounding without being sterile. I'd still call it the 'invisible' preamp. It seems to get out of the way completely and can be used very nicely with vintage equipment....and if you have some DIY skills, it's hard to beat at this price (or any higher for that matter).

Unfortunately it's a line stage only, but recently there have been some threads around here in which a few options have neen mentioned. From my Transcendent Sound experience I suppose Bruce's phono stage will be very interesting, too and for a limited budget I'd also consider the ASL Mini Phono which can sound surprisingly good if you replace the stock Chinese tubes and choose suitable interconnects. The only thing to remember is that a lot of phono stages do not accept low output MCs, but there are enough excellent cartridges out there so that option is not a must.

Wolfram

----------------

On 6/22/2004 6:38:28 AM gto6 wrote:

A review I just read on the (VTL) TL5.5 mentions a "a single ended line source". What exactly are they saying? Are they saying that it should be used with a dedicated system and works best when playing only cd's (ie:one source). I use my system with many different sources. Maybe I'm better suited with something that I can EQ?......
----------------

Mark,

It means that they have single ended inputs and outputs so the sources should be connected with standard RCA cables and not balanced XLR's.

You can connect many sources to their preamp.

I've owned 2 VTL preamps in the past and they were excellent.

Thanks Guy. That puts me at ease. It doesn't look like there is a way to control "EQ"ing on the VTL. The photos on the website aren't very clear and I don't see anything in the description that I can conclude is adjustable. I switch back and forth from cd's, music dvd's, tapes and phono......the cd's and dvd's are fine listening direct for the most part, but the phono and tapes I'd like to EQ. We record our band on a cheap little cassette boom box (we use it as a notebook, not for actual recordings)and play them back right away, It would be nice to be able EQ it.....

There's Mcintosh C32 preamp on ebay that ends in a few hours, its at $465.00. Its solid state but looks very flexible. Maybe I'll try that one. Small investment, Mc. stuff will always resell, besides, it has to be better then the Carver I'm using......thanks folks.

all the best,

Mark

Just for the record, I'm done building kits. The Grounded Grid from Trascendent Sound is an easy kit to build, however, and could even make a good first project for someone interested in learning to build his/her own equipment. Because of it's uncommon circuit design and extremely low, if non-existent noise floor, it is an ideal candidate for high efficiency speakers.

----------------

On 6/28/2004 1:11:48 PM gto6 wrote:

I just saw an inexpensive Dynaco PAS-3, its been modified with new caps, does anybody have any experience with them. For the price, it seems like a sure thing..

Mark

----------------

In reference to your earlier question regarding experience with VTL preamps...

I owned a VTL Super Deluxe (the model below the Ultimate, but VERY similar and almost as expensive - $2,600) and have to say, quite frankly, that I've owned better.

From a design standpoint, it was really something. Completely dual mono with "trim" controls for the separate left and right volume pots. This allows you to attenuate the "balance" slightly w/o adding to the signal path. Brilliant.

That being said...I still thought that my very inexpensive Countpoint SA-1000 (tubed preamp) sounded better in ALL respects - including the phono stage. These can be found used for $300 and are an absolute STEAL! I believe there are a couple of them on AudiogoN at the moment.

I've since sold both of these and am also looking for a preamp. I don't need a phono stage, so I'm thinking about going back to another "favorite" of mine - The Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Signature. If all you need is a linestage and can live w/o remote control, this is THE way to go. For about $450 used, the laws of diminishing returns kick in VERY quickly.

Just my $.02

1. A Patchel of Passive Pre-Amplifiers, Review by Herb Reichert, similar to a Listener article

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0102/preamplifiers.htm

2. With the harshness of an old Sony CD player (2 times oversampling!) emphasis by the upper 7-9kHz mid-range bounce of my super-sensitive walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossovers, I jumped on an Dynaco PAS 3, series II, tube pre-amplifier by Panor Corp. It was $500 used, with manual and box, almost 20 years ago. This had many features I wanted: tubes, black face, EQ inputs and outputs, dual pre-amplifier outputs, audio and video inputs, tape dubbing, phono and revered name in tube loving circles. AFTER I bought it, I read many good reviews from horn lovers at Audio Asylum. I loved it and the different difference it made. One tubes eventually went bad, and so I replaced them all (after asking the posters for their personal opinions about tubes. It is NOT dead silent with my classic Klipsch corner Khorns. It has NOT kept its value either. I think you can find them on eBay for $125. It may need refurbishing by someone like frequent Klipsch posters NOSvalues.

3. Adjusted for inflation, a pre-amplifier like the PAS 3 is worth something like $1500 to $2000 today. I heard the Blueberry briefly at preacherman Daddydees May 2004 Klipsch gathering in Little Rock, Arkansas. It sounded good, but I did NOT hear much different difference between the Blueberry with custom JFL 2A3 amplifiers on Khorns and the copper-faced Cayin TA30 integrated tube amplifier. I do know that if mDeneen has 50 hours into building, selling and shipping ONE Blueberry, then he has to charge something like $2,500 to make it worthwhile. Therefore, just like the rediscovered Scott, Eico and Fisher amplifiers, I believe that there are forgotten bargains drifting aimlessly out in yard sale land that with a little bit of restoration can be an impressive 70s muscle car. The vintage Dynaco PAS 3 pre-amplifier is certainly one of them.

4. Now to hear what a difference the ASL AQ1003DT makes with big ole horns

3.gif