What Music should I buy this weekedn REVIEWS-NEW

thebes

Last weekend I solicited suggestions from 2 channel folks to help me fill out my music collection. Some I already had, some the store didnt have so I ended buying 12 cds. Im posting the review here because thats where the original thread was started. My apology's to anyone who thinks it doesnt belong here.

Given the fact that we all have different tastes in music this was something of an experiment. Im glad I did it. Overall it was a success and Im very pleased with the new tunes/bands I have been turned on to. Reviews, like musical tastes are subjective, so if you dont agree with me no insult intended.

Scoring: well be using the K for Klipsch system. Five Ks being the top score.

Scoring Categories: Overall Score; Toe-Tapping Potential; Would I Sleep with the Lead Singer and Sound/Recording/Mixing Quality

First up:

Tchaikovsky 1812 by Telarc (2001 not 1978 recording)

Whats to say. Fantastic Recording of a great piece of classical music with real Civil War cannons (ah I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning) Take that Napolean!

Overall: 5 Ks; Toe-Tapping: 4 Ks, Sound Quality: 5 Ks; Sleep with Lead Singer:

2 Ks (sure it would fit, but just barely and never, ever get a cannon mad at you)

Govt Mule, The Deepest End Vol. 1 & 2

Six hours of live rock and roll , you know, the old fashioned rock god stuff. Tons of special appearances by about 20 other musicians. Great rock and roll. Only quibble is the drummer. He's only so so, and since he drives the beat it can get a little repetitious.

Overall: 4 Ks; Toe-Tapping: 5 Ks; Sound/Quality 5 Ks (excellent considering its live); Sleep with Lead: 0 Ks (Id have to be very, very drunk and very, very gay)

Dido No Angel

A lovely album with a lovely voice and a nice mix of instrumentals and electronic groves.

Very good lyrics. Definitely worth repeat listening.

Overall: 4 Ks; Toe-Tapping: 4 Ks; Sound Quality: 4 Ks; Sleep with Lead: 4 Ks

FYE Selects the Blues

A music chain sampler of the blues. Basically soul/blues of the bobby blue Bland variety rather then the Muddy Waters delta or BB King Chicago styles. Excellent sampler. Turned me on to some peoples cds I will be buying.

Overall: 4 ks ; Toe-Tapping: 4 ks; Sound Quality: 5 ks; Sleep with Lead: N/A

Red Elvises Your Favorite Band

Live 2 cd recording of some crazy Russians doing early rock, rockabilly and Russian gypsy songs, mostly in English. Some of the songs are from weird three stringed Russian folks instruments. Great rock with a twist.

Overall: 4 Ks; Toe-tapping: 5 Ks; Sound Quality 4 Ks; Sleep with Lead: What sleep with a commie!

Rachael Yamagata Happenstance

Alanis Morisette meets Suzanne Vega. Forget Diana Krall, this is the real deal. Major pipes, great lyrics, fabulous instrumentals with an edge to it. For me a true find with great future replay.

Overall: 5 Ks; Toe-taping 4 Ks; Sound Quality: 5Ks; Sleep with Lead : In a New York Minute! (Mind if I stalk you?)

Donna the Buffalo Positive Friction

Even if you dont like bluegrass you may very well like this album. Instrumentals are great and singing is cohesive and lyrical. Only problem is they need better lyrics. Lyrics on some songs are trite. Like it though.

Overall: 4 Ks; Toe-tapping 4 Ks; Sound quality: 5 Ks; Sleep with Lead: Take it from personal experience, never, ever, sleep with a buffalo

They Might Be Giants Apollo 18

Bubblegum meets early 60s British Pop and art tunes. Its fun, and very well recorded, a combination slacker/indie project, but for me the replay value is low. The younger whippersnappers might like it though.

Overall: 3 Ks; Toe-tapping 4 Ks; Sound Quality: 5 Ks; Sleep with Lead: nah

Jennifer Warnes the well

Great voice, great lyrics, sets a mood, a smidgen of country to enliven things and great instrumentals. Excellent.

Overall: 4 Ks; Toe-tapping 3 Ks (more of a close your eyes and listen kinda cd) Sound Quality: 5 Ks; Sleep with Lead: Hes a guy for crying out loud!

Josh Groban Josh Groban

This is easy listening music at its best. A young curly haired fellow with great pipes singing in a variety of languages. Im not into this music a whole lot but if Im in the mood in will definitely go on the player.

Overall: 3 Ks Toe-tapping: 3 Ks; Sound Quality: 5 Ks; Sleep With Lead: Come here you lovely young thing. Wait! Stop that! Get out of here! Sorry that was my evil twin Maurice.

Damien Rice O

Too much Indie rock is too repetitious. Not the case with these folks. Superb. Wonderful. Anybody complaining theres nothing-good coming gout these days check this out. Superb instrumentals and the harmonies are excellent.

Overall: 5 Ks; Toe-Tapping 4 Ks; Sound Quality: 5 Ks: Sleep with lead: more then willing so sleep with the female half of the band

Jet Get Borne

In your face rock. Head banger music. High energy but repetitious. Like it, but Ive heard the like a million times. Warming up to it on my second listen though. Could become a favorite.

Overall: 4 Ks; Toe-Tapping: 5 Ks; Sound Quality: 4 Ks; Sleep with Lead: I had long hair, I miss long hair, get out my bed you punk!

Asylum Street Spankers Mecurial

Great Googly Mooley! This thing is awesome! Combination blues, ragtime, big band, Texas Swing and whatever else you can think of with a wicked sense of humor. YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS ALBUM OR ABSOLUTELY HATE IT. Even if it you hate you will agree it was money well spent just to find out. Recorded directly onto a 1959 Ampex reel to reel recorder. No amplifiers, no overdub.

Overall: 5 Ks; Toe-Tapping 5 Ks; Sound Quality: 10 Ks (awesome mix); Sleep with Lead: 5 Ks (Need a cold shower just thinking about it!)

The Winner: Asylum Street Spankers

Runner Up: Rachael Yamagata

Check out Tool, Undertow Or Alan Jacksons greatest hits, the later is in HDCD, if you have a player capable of playing this it is unreal.I really dont care what type of music,ie, country, rock, classic, big band etc,etc,etc, only how it sounds.9.gif